LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

Build quality is sub-par (molding leftovers on sidewall), but if treadwear/wet/snow performance is good, I think it can be excused.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/revolverdropalot/E3476D2D-B9B7-4F11-9280-9D8D5EE9F321-4268-000004BAA2270069_zps75b1806c.jpg

Waiting on STi center caps lol

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys....I am getting MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP!

ON SALE NOW THROUGH TIRERACK with a $70 rebate....Consumer Reports Rated them high also. Install Friday...will update this posting with a review when I get em on...& No, I don't work for tirerack but I think they are a great company!

Alright thinking about some 18s to run for the Spring/Summer months. Will keep my current 17s with DWS to run during fall and winter.

I have only ever run UHPAS tires on all 3 of my subarus that I've owned. RE960AS and my current DWS.

Is it "worth it" to put summers on the 18s? Or should I keep sticking with the UHPAS tires? I don't track the car and since I moved out of the country and back into town, I rarely push the car hard on the twisties anymore (despite having a bunch of handling mods).

The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is made in China however. I called to ask prior to deciding what tire to get.

You can definitely tell that they're made in china with the inferior moldings, though in terms of performance they are MUCH better than the made in korea Kumho Ecsta 4x that I had before, both in the wet and 5" snow.

However, at $512 out the door with installation, shipping, tax etc, they're going to be hard to beat ($450 out the door for the tires, $62 mount and balance)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/revolverdropalot/IMG_0931_zpsc6b7e8cd.jpg

Hey guys....I am getting MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP!

ON SALE NOW THROUGH TIRERACK with a $70 rebate....Consumer Reports Rated them high also. Install Friday...will update this posting with a review when I get em on...& No, I don't work for tirerack but I think they are a great company!

Do you need run flats?

Krzys

no. Runflats results in a stiffer sidewall to support the car while the tire is flat. Now, if you have a tendency toward flat tire, then its good insurance. Then again, maybe its time to explore a better tire/vehicle to avoid losing a tire.

Yep you also don't want to run a run flat unless you have good working TPMS. If you get a flat you won't know it visually with run flats.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Before I leave my review, I can honestly say that I have had

My share of the following tires from the following companies for the last

20 years:

KUMHO, FUZION, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Cooper, Yokohama, Firestone,

Cooper....all V rated or higher UHPAS tires...and hands down the winner is the

MICHELIN Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP! This is based on my interpretations and obviously there is no scientific basis on that so don't rip me if ur offended.

The stiff sidewalls make cornering and reaction driving impeccably smooth! Firm ride. Maybe a little too hard over bumpy roads..your more sensitive passengers may say something...I may have to adjust suspension slightly. Car feels like it drives on rails around turns...amazing!!!! Confidence booster A plus! Also quiet ride... On highway...silent! Air. Temp is 40 degrees Fahrenheit. So I will update forum as this is all dry road driving. So far this purchase has EXCEEDED my expectations! Now I have to watch out for cops again...and speeding tickets! LOL!

I'm back on Potenza RE970's 225/45/17. I too have tried others, but time after time the wet grip of the Potenza's in our cooler Northern CA downpours keeps me coming back 750, 760, 960... now 970's. They are slightly less than the Michelin's and nearly as quiet over the life of the tire in my experience.

After seeing the price I would have to apply my 90/50 rule to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's, I want a tire that gives me 90% of the performance for half the price, hmmmm that just may be my Contis!

But when you buy the same set of tires 2x, during the extended lifetime of the MPS ASes, one investment at lower cost today pays dividends into the future. COO is lower with MPS ASes. YMMV, but that's been my experience.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

quote.....But when you buy the same set of tires 2x, during the extended lifetime of the MPS ASes, one investment at lower cost today pays dividends into the future. COO is lower with MPS ASes. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

This particular Michelin has not been around long enough to know whether you will get twice the treadlife or not has it?

After seeing the price I would have to apply my 90/50 rule to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's, I want a tire that gives me 90% of the performance for half the price, hmmmm that just may be my Contis!

Conti's blow as performance tires. I've had touring tires that are more responsive than DWS tires are.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Conti's blow as performance tires. I've had touring tires that are more responsive than DWS tires are.

Anybody know how the Conti DWS compare to the ContiProContact? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact&partnum=345VR7CPCXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Saab&autoYear=2008&autoModel=9-3%202.0T%20Convertible&autoModClar=

Helping a friend shop for tires for her 2008 Saab 9-3. She's happy with the ContiProContacts that came on her car. Though Tirerack has them listed 6 times. Read a lot of comments on the soft sidewalls & handling of the DWS, so I was suggesting she stays with what she has. Don't think she wants to spend the extra $$$ for MPS A/S+ or Pilot Exaltos.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

quote.....But when you buy the same set of tires 2x, during the extended lifetime of the MPS ASes, one investment at lower cost today pays dividends into the future. COO is lower with MPS ASes. YMMV, but that's been my experience.

This particular Michelin has not been around long enough to know whether you will get twice the treadlife or not has it?

I was speaking generally about the MPS ASes and their iron-hide longevity and HP at the limits for the life of the tire. I presume the ZPs should have equal marks given the vehicles that it's designed around.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...

The ProContact is a grand touring all season, definitely not performance oriented.

The DWS may suck as a UHPAS, but the DW is an excellent MPS tire, based on my own experiences.

I've got roughly 25K miles on my Pirelli P-Zero Nero All-Seasons and couldn't imagine being happier.

I was somewhat disappointed in the DWS at first just based on squirmy "feel" until I took

the pressure up to 40psi and then they felt like the original summer Bridgestones. Then I noticed a significant MPG hit compared to the originals, that ended with about 5K miles on the tires. I am around 15K miles now and have no complaints at all about performance with every indication these will be 40K mile UHPAS tires. There is no indication by TireRack reviews that anyone will get more miles than that from the Michelin so for me the Conti's do meet my 90/50 rule, 90% of the performance for half the price!

Archived