LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

If you're talking about the Eagle F1 all-season, (the ones from a few years ago, not the new asymmetric design) you know there was a silent recall on them? I know I posted info about it around 4 years ago

Yes I did, and I got a new set with the original one having 20K miles on them, and the new set solved nothing :lol:

Still cupped to shit, still same issues and yes, I have verified the tires were the ones they supposedly redesigned.

No more Eagle tires for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just replaced the Pirelli P Zero Neros (unknown mileage, fronts' inside eges worn to nothing due to unnoticed alignment issues) that were on my '08 3.0R when I bought it with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s following the generally good feedback about them in this thread. I literally just had them installed this morning so I haven't had much time with them but I did have a ~30 minute mixed highway/small town street drive back from the shop. My initial observation was that they are significantly quieter than the Pirellis, possibly slightly more compliant in the bumps yet I felt like there was more road surface feedback too. I kept the SI Drive in "I" mode and didn't really push it around any corners because they aren't broken in yet. I'm used to pretty jarring shocks from potholes and such on this car so I'm kind of hoping these tires will be a little softer than the Pirellis.

My 3.0R is totally stock as far as suspension and performance goes, with almost 115k on original (to my knowledge) suspension parts. I won't be tracking the car or anything but I am a spirited driver so I'll see how these tires perform compared to the Pirellis, which I had no handling complaints about. Once I've gotten some miles on them I'll report back.

Ok, we've got a little over an inch on the roads here so I drove to my in-laws for dinner to try them out in the snow/ice. I'm very happy with them, didn't feel any hint of slip or slide even when I took the corners a little faster than I should in these conditions. My wife also noted that the ride felt smoother, she didn't feel the bumps she normally complains about. I'll be headed to work in this tomorrow morning too, so if it's still kinda crappy out I'll report back after a longer trip by myself.

UPDATE: On our way home from the in laws I ended up on a long stretch of black ice just before our turn. We did not make our turn. As soon as i started to slow down for it the car started to rotate the wrong way. Fortunately I know how to handle that situation so we didn't even leave our lane, but I felt zero confidence in the grip of the tires on ice. The tires have less than 50 miles on them so their ice performance may improve after break in, but I can't be sure of that. For now, snow = controlled, ice = NOT. Not that I would expect a great deal of control on ice under any circumstances, just better than that. Without my careful and controlled reaction there we would have been spinning instantly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just dumped my GoodYear Eagle F1 All Season (NOT the asymetrics) in favor for Conti DWS and WOW what an amazing difference. It feels like I just swapped out a set of runflats that I was running inflated at 50PSI. The F1s were noisy as shit, super uncomfortable, but in all other aspects they were great tires. I had a set swapped part of the silent recall and the new set developed the same noise issues even though I verified they were the redesign. GoodYear refused to help at that point so I put up with them for 2 years.

Yes, the DWS feel mushier and the car now understeers, but I am more than happy with the small compromise for the large improvement in ride comfort and road noise. Right now they're at 35PSI and I'm happy, I don't think I'll go higher.

I'm on Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my '13 3.6, great grippy tires!

The DWS I had on my 07 LGT, they did bounce quite a bit which was the main negative. The grip was crazy though, not even a slight skid in the rain, unless it was a fresh rain and there was oil residue on the road. The tread was just about gone, but the DW was still present on the tire and they still gripped like crazy.

UPDATE: On our way home from the in laws I ended up on a long stretch of black ice just before our turn. We did not make our turn. As soon as i started to slow down for it the car started to rotate the wrong way. Fortunately I know how to handle that situation so we didn't even leave our lane, but I felt zero confidence in the grip of the tires on ice. The tires have less than 50 miles on them so their ice performance may improve after break in, but I can't be sure of that. For now, snow = controlled, ice = NOT. Not that I would expect a great deal of control on ice under any circumstances, just better than that. Without my careful and controlled reaction there we would have been spinning instantly.

I've always hear tires need a couple hundred miles to break in, to get rid of the mold release agent on the tread.

My AS3es have been OK in the snow we've had here, but not quite what I'd call confidence inspiring.

They do feel pretty good in the dry, definitely better than the Kumho Ecsta ASX that came with the car.

• Moderators
Ok, we've got a little over an inch on the roads here so I drove to my in-laws for dinner to try them out in the snow/ice. I'm very happy with them, didn't feel any hint of slip or slide even when I took the corners a little faster than I should in these conditions. My wife also noted that the ride felt smoother, she didn't feel the bumps she normally complains about. I'll be headed to work in this tomorrow morning too, so if it's still kinda crappy out I'll report back after a longer trip by myself.

If you hit true black ice and have all four tires on it, I don't think any tire without studs will really provide much benefit...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...
looking to replace my tires in the next few months ('08 SpecB). I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. I noticed Costco sells them. you can usually get $70 off on Michelin's every other month from them. Any reason not to deal with Costco?

If you hit true black ice and have all four tires on it, I don't think any tire without studs will really provide much benefit...

When I lived in Alaska studs were the only thing that stopped on ice. Anything else no matter what tire you had you were sliding. This is excellent advice.

we're taking off Cooper Zeons today for Goodyear FI Asymmetrical A/S - I hope they don't suck - the Zeons got louder over time - about 40K on them was hoping o make it to next fall but the Chicago winter has been a 12 letter word and the roads or either recently patched potholes or unpatched craters - which took popped the both front @ the bead - luckily an air up and they still held and finally a rear got pinched bad enough it damaged the sidewall ....... they're done about 3/32" left

Consumer Report - my purchasing bible rated the F1 as #1 behind the Michelins but for our commuter I'm looking for low rolling resistance and QUIET

Dan T

This is true, I probably didn't give them enough credit given the conditions. It was definitely true black ice, didn't know it was anything but wet until I tried to slow down. I'm still very happy with them though; I haven't missed any time at work from the recent snow storms even though my commute is 11 miles each way. These Michelins do just fine in the snow, light or heavy, and they are much nicer than the Pirellis in the nicer weather.

I used to have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my old Impreza. When they were new, I had zero issues. Bought them just after Thanksgiving in New England back in 2010. Had a strong winter that year, multiple storms with accumulations over 10" or so, I was passing SUV's and other 4x4's as if the road was bare pavement. I loved the tires. I tried to do some research to see if they are available for my 2010 Legacy, but it appears that they are not. Ill be using Dedicated Snows in the winter from now on either way as Last year I had some General Altimax Arctic's and they were awesome in the snow to include a 3 foot blizzard we had.

• 11 months later...

Archived