LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with some summer tires (BFG Comp 2) for the next few months with the hope that I'll find a set of STI wheels and have time to get them refinished and maybe then throw on the new MPS AS 3's before snowboarding season starts up again.

I genuinely enjoyed these tires, and I can't find anything with my toe settings on it. Since I still have 5/32 in the center these definitely would have gone the full 45k they were expected to go. They gave me 40 bucks per tire since they wore out so quick despite my alignment settings potentially being the problem. I can't complain too much.

I'm going to rape these summer tires though :) Where's my climber D VB mod fund/ tax return?

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECENT INFO ON GOOD TIRES FOR MY RIDE?

I own a 5th GEN, 2011 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5i Premium...I have about 28k and I am down to 4/32 left so I am beginning to look around for new tires. I'm not a racer but I do like a spirited drive every now and then..I am looking for some version of all season or performance all season tires. I really don't know too much about tires and the difference between H and V ratings. With a small kid in car, its unlikely I will be exceeding speeds of 110mph...I have standard OEM rims...205/60/16. I live in the North East USA so I must think about snow handling in my decision making.

I am a subscriber for CONSUMER REPORTS online too.

I don't work for them. I will share their top 5 list for Performance All Season.

This is what the "guru's say on CONSUMER REPORTS:

1)Michelin Primacy MXV4[H]

2)Continental PureContact[H]

3)Nexen CP672

4) Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S[H]

5) Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season[H]

Also, where should I buy them? The only place I have found good deals before on previous cars is tire rack dot com. With this being my first subie...I am consulting this forum for help... Especially considering the 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i is 3500lbs with me in it!

If I were you I would have bought Continental PureContact.

If you expect any real winter (snow, ice) performance from tires after first season consider second set of winter wheels and tires.

I always use tire rack at least as a bargaining tool with local shops.

Krzys

I just bought a set of Michelin Defender tires. The Defender is the successor to the HydroEdge, an outstanding tire that I have used on two cars and exceeded my expectations in dry, rain, and snow conditions. However, the HydroEdge is being discontinued in lieu of the Defender. Yes, I know it's not a high-performance tire as most here are looking for, but it is a high-quality all weather tire that is a very good choice for daily drivers, commuters and the like.

For a higher performance tire, I highly recommend the MXV4 tires. I had them on two other cars and they are an excellent choice.

I have used Michelins (including the LTX M/S on SUVs and trucks) for over 25 years and wouldn't use any other brand for my vehicles. Check out the ratings and reviews on tirerack.com and you'll see that Michelins are consistently rated and reviewed very high.

I think we're getting off topic here, the thread is not about all season tires, it's about ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE all season tires. Tires that should perform almost as good as summer tires in dry, and still be safe to drive in snow.

Navigators - All of the info in this thread is relatively recent. The top UHPAS tires haven't changed much in the last year. Only a few new models are out that are awaiting review. I'm sure someone on here will try them soon enough. Does consumer reports have an ultra high performance all season option?

..........Also, where should I buy them?............

You buy them at whatever shop gives you the best price and service. Buying tires is like buying stuff at a swap meet: all prices are negotiable, including the price of road hazard insurance.

I have bought from tire rack. They advertise with local installers in ur area. Installation price marked on website too. Great service! I'd check with them. You would think the Subaru dealership would offer better deals for customers but...no...labor is crazy! They wanna charge an air maintenance service fee.... To put air in...

UHPAS (ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL SEASON) CONSUMER REPORTS ONLINE SAYS THEIR TOP 5 IS:

1) Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

2) Cooper Zeon RS3-A

3) Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

4) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

5) Yokohama Avid ENVigor

For best guard against excessive wear... Cooper and Michelin rated best of all 5

UHPAS (ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL SEASON) CONSUMER REPORTS ONLINE SAYS THEIR TOP 5 IS:

1) Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

2) Cooper Zeon RS3-A

3) Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

4) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

5) Yokohama Avid ENVigor

For best guard against excessive wear... Cooper and Michelin rated best of all 5

Uggh. I don't really trust Consumer Reports on automotive. From their site:

"The Cooper Zeon RS3-A has no tread wear warranty. "

From Cooper's site:

"40,000 Mile Treadwear Protection (U.S. Only)"

Just ordered a set of the Coopers, hopefully have them on by next week.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. My only experience with Coopers is on my wife's Honda Odyssey and I'm not impressed. We've had a lot of issues with this set of tires.

I've had BF Goodrich G-Force Sport A/S and although they handled pretty well, the wore extremely fast. I've also had the Conti DWS and they were good in snow (at least for the one winter I drove them) but handling not so good. I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Michelin's next or Pirelli's unless I see more info on the Coopers.

Uggh. I don't really trust Consumer Reports on automotive. From their site:

"The Cooper Zeon RS3-A has no tread wear warranty. "

From Cooper's site:

I have a friend that has this tire on an AUDI A4 and he is incredibly upset with the tread life....I asked him today...I know we are all SUBIES here...but that car is much lighter than our SUBARU'S...

Is it too much to ask to have the best of both awesome grip in all seasons with snow and good tread life for us who don't wish to buy tires every 2 years?

I had the Michelin pilot sport a/s. Great tire. Worked in snow, dry, wet, and high speed. Cornering at speed was pretty good. When they let go, you got plenty of warning (on a track)

How was the tread life?

I just gotta know...I think I may be asking for too much from a tire...thanks for your input though!

Just ordered a set of the Coopers, hopefully have them on by next week.

Hey buddy....not trying to give you a homework assignment...was hoping maybe Could you give us your detailed report on Coopers...on handling, cornering, (on dry and wet surface) and road noise in your best opinion when you get them?

Also, what do you have on your car now that is being replaced?

Thanks.!

How was the tread life?

I just gotta know...I think I may be asking for too much from a tire...thanks for your input though!

still lots of tread left. The side blocks got hammered pretty bad, but it was to be expected. If I not got hooked on going to the track, I'd still be on them. If you're looking for a good all season tire, this pretty good. Spendy, but good. If this is your one tire, worth it. If have 2 sets, may not be the ideal setup - Michelin super sports + blizzaks would be my choice.

My Yoko 580's are being torn apart from daily driving 60 miles, and the sidewalls are too soft. Plus the treads on the sides are being torn apart.

when the most common adjective in the advertising copy is fuel economy, you don't have a high performance all season tire.

given the tread blocks on this tire, you're going to get tear out when flogging the tires.

you want stiff sidewalls, get a high perf tire.

From Cooper's site:

I have a friend that has this tire on an AUDI A4 and he is incredibly upset with the tread life....I asked him today...I know we are all SUBIES here...but that car is much lighter than our SUBARU'S...

Is it too much to ask to have the best of both awesome grip in all seasons with snow and good tread life for us who don't wish to buy tires every 2 years?

What year A4? 5th gen Legacy is almost 100lbs lighter than 2012 A4, according to a quick google search.

And yes lol that is sadly too much to ask. Gotta compromise somewhere. Getting 2 years out of a high performance tire that will let you drive safely in snow was unheard of 5 years ago. Maybe in 5 more years we can get what you are hoping for :)

Hey buddy....not trying to give you a homework assignment...was hoping maybe Could you give us your detailed report on Coopers...on handling, cornering, (on dry and wet surface) and road noise in your best opinion when you get them?

Also, what do you have on your car now that is being replaced?

Thanks.!

I can do ride comfort and road noise, but I'm not willing to drive the car to the limit on public roads, sorry bud. I have a set of Kumho Ecsta 4x right now.

Other than two short (<500 mile) tryouts with PZN and CEC ASes, I've only run MPS ASes (now on the Plus version and will likely shift to the MPS3 ASes when they arrive) as my DD since my original RE92As were replaced at 21K. Now at 137K and 35K-40K from each set. (41K on the current set).

I've written several reviews... think these two capture the essence for me

1st Review

Follow-up Review

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Other than two short (<500 mile) tryouts with PZN and CEC ASes, I've only run MPS ASes (now on the Plus version and will likely shift to the MPS3 ASes when they arrive) as my DD since my original RE92As were replaced at 21K. Now at 137K and 35K-40K from each set. (41K on the current set).

I've written several reviews... think these two capture the essence for me

1st Review

Follow-up Review

reading this, going to put my "for sale" tires back on the stock rims. I never gave mine a fair trial, but would agree with SBT on the wet weather performance.

Archived