LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was speaking generally about the MPS ASes and their iron-hide longevity and HP at the limits for the life of the tire. I presume the ZPs should have equal marks given the vehicles that it's designed around.

I'm about done with my 2nd set of MPS ASes, and while I love the tire, they aren't lasting as long as I hoped they would. I have 225/45-17 on stock wheels, and I've gotten around 22-25K miles out of both sets (even with the 45K treadwear rating on the newer MPS AS+). Both sets wore out on the edges, while the middle is still plenty thick. Had an alignment done right before this sent went in (including LCA bushings/steering rack bushings so the alignment would hold). Still no dice. I have approx 3-4K left on the tires before they're at the wear bars on the outside (not sure about inside).

Is this an alignment issue? Tires seem to be wearing evenly from side-to-side (i.e. both sides are worn out on the outside). I had them rotated every 5-7K miles (free rotations). The alignment shop has a very good reputation from many racers, etc - they asked if I wanted any special settings, and I said, no, just regular street driving.

Now, the car WAS in an accident about 1.5 years ago, but the repair shop said the alignment was not affected, and I had the same result with the previous pair of MSP AS (not +) that I had before that (before the accident) - wore out on the outside. Same with the Eagle DS-G or whatever that I had before that. I've gone through a couple of alignments, and same result.

I'm willing to believe I need another alignment, but wouldn't things wear somewhat unevenly then if there's a problem? I typically run 37-38 front, 35-36 psi rear.

Should I go back to OEM size 215-45-17? Run even higher pressures (which would cause the middle to bulge a little more, right)? Or am I just too aggressive in cornering? I do a lot of stop-and-go commuting, and city driving. Maybe my driving mix is just too turn-heavy compared to the average estimated 45k? We take the minivan on all the longer trips and the MXM4s (or whatever) are holding up quite well after 30K miles...

If you're wearing on the outsides and not on the center, then it's an alignment issue (unless you're running under-inflated tires which your pressures indicate that you're not), predominantly toe. If you go by the stock settings, that leaves nearly 1* +/- of variance wheel-to-wheel and side-to-side. If you're running heavy neg. camber, then you can get some inner tire wear, but, camber is dynamic, so again, it comes back to toe.

When I initially aligned my car, I had it aligned to factory specs, without realizing how much variance there was in the factory settings. I was shocked at how quickly the tires wore out on the edges. Since I was planning to replace them, and then had to replace them earlier than planned due to a sidewall puncture, I had all alignments set at 0* Toe going forward. No more wore edges and much longer-wearing tires.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to decide on a new set of tires. I have never done any research on tires before but have been reading reviews on this forum as well as different tests and surveys on tirerack and such. I have a list of tires with prices otd after available rebates. I have them sorted by price. My car is my DD and I barely push my 2.5i to its "limits"... Looking for some good tires that are a good bang for the buck. Any suggestions?

225/45-17

Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 $319.00

General G-Max AS-03 $349.00

Continental ExtremeContact DWS $352.00

Kumho Ecsta AST $353.00

Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season $356.00

Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 $409.00

Kumho Ecsta ASX $409.00

Nitto Motivo $441.00

BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $448.00

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus $692.00

You are from Gloster (Gloucester) MA and you say you do not push your tires to the limit.

Don't you drive in dry, wet, very wet like down pour and snow and occasional ice?

I would call it driving tires at the limit.

What do you want from your tires?

tread wear

comfort

snow

ice

dry

wet

price

Krzys

Wouldn't all that fall under what a UHPAS tire is designed for? To do well in all those scenarios? I was talking about my car's limits. So like needing stiff sidewalls in order to feel like I am riding on rails. I just have a stock 2.5i that already has body roll so that isn't important to me. My commute to work is barely 2 miles but I do travel out of town on the highway a few days a week. I'm looking for mostly tread wear, value, with decent snow/ice handling I guess. I probably won't be getting a second set for winter so I would like to not feel powerless come winter time. I drive out of town for my daughter and want to feel comfortable doing so if it is snowing out.

UHPAS trade winter prowess for better dry and wet traction, usually.

If you want better wet/snow traction using all seasons then go with 205/50 tires.

DWS seem to be an all season tire with winter traction in the mind of designer.

If you want it all wait for new Michelin:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-a-s-3/tire-details

they supposedly can do this.

Krzys

PS If I were buying AS tires I would check Bridgestone RE970, Goodyear F1 AS (Eagle GT were not bad for 3 seasons but they wore out quickly <30K miles), Conti DWS or the new Michelin.

I could get the Goodyear F1 AS for $364 so that could be an option. Those bridgestones and the new michelins will probably be a little more than I want to spend. There are a few rebates I would like to take advantage of at the moment. I'm not looking for it all, just not absolutely horrendous winter traction for a decent price.

I was somewhat disappointed in the DWS at first just based on squirmy "feel" until I took

the pressure up to 40psi and then they felt like the original summer Bridgestones. Then I noticed a significant MPG hit compared to the originals, that ended with about 5K miles on the tires. I am around 15K miles now and have no complaints at all about performance with every indication these will be 40K mile UHPAS tires. There is no indication by TireRack reviews that anyone will get more miles than that from the Michelin so for me the Conti's do meet my 90/50 rule, 90% of the performance for half the price!

I have mine at 42 psi and feel closer to the Bridgestone re750s I had before. They are still squirmy as others have stated but kick ass in snow.

I went with DWS in 205/50-17. Particularly for the high remarks for snow traction in an A/S tire. I'll set the PSI ~42 from the start. Paid $572 to my door and will be getting a $100 Adidas gift card and a $100 Visa rebate card. Not too bad I think. I have a buddy who will mount and balance then I'll get an alignment.

42 seems a very high pressure - with not a lot of margin for expansion, especially during the hot summer months. But even so, that would be 42 front and 40 rear correct? Remember to keep the 2psi bias that's listed on your door sill for the good of your drivetrain.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Based on what I have read on here from many other forum members, they tend to run a higher PSI in the DWS to compensate for the squishy sidewalls. So I will try out a couple different PSI after a little bit to see what I like, but that will be the highest I go. And yes, I will be keeping the bias.

I'm between the DWS' and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons. $352 and $356 respectively so price isn't an issue.

Would you mind sharing where you get your prices? Tire Rack is quoting me, for example, $508 for DWS (in 225-45-17). No rebates I can see..

Would you mind sharing where you get your prices? Tire Rack is quoting me, for example, $508 for DWS (in 225-45-17). No rebates I can see..

I got mine from discounttiredirect.com. There was a $100 rebate for memorial day weekend then a $100 Adidas gift card through Continental. I paid $572 for the tires and valve stems or something like that. "free shipping" also. So after the rebates $372. I also ended up doing 205/50-17 so a couple dollar difference a tire I believe.

I got the Pirelli P Nero Zero A/S P225/45R17 at Town Fair Tire for $750. Tires, mounting, computer balancing, stems, front alignment, free flat repair, free rotations, 90 day alignment guarantee ("got some suspension upgrades going on"), so a free alignment, and an $80 rebate. Not a professional tire buyer, but I think thats good.

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

These are the best tires I have bought for this car. $89 a piece you cant beat it, they are sticky. I have yet to break loose cornering hard or even over accelerating into a turn, the tires just wont let go.

They were noisy and very stiff at the beginning but have mellowed out quite a bit since I got them. Highly recommend them.

I got mine from discounttiredirect.com. There was a $100 rebate for memorial day weekend then a $100 Adidas gift card through Continental. I paid $572 for the tires and valve stems or something like that. "free shipping" also. So after the rebates $372. I also ended up doing 205/50-17 so a couple dollar difference a tire I believe.

Ok, that makes more sense. I don't value a $100 Adidas gift card at $100, because I rarely if ever buy Adidas stuff.. (not saying it's not a good deal for other people).

Just trying to figure out if there are good places to buy tires besides tire rack/discount tire/costco.. I'll probably be looking sometime in September or so..

• Moderators
At 43K on my MPS AS+ and I'd be very surprised if I don't see 50K out of this set.

Thinking about slapping these on the set of BBS that I have on the shelf...if I end up picking up 18s down the road for summer duty I think the MPSs will be fine for winters.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

anyone ever get teh Goodyear Eagle GT's or Goodyear Triple Treads, I am looking into these for my stock 2010 Legacy Premium.

I like the GT look and from some of the reviews I see around they seem to last for $130 each installed by Goodyear it is a good Price even if I only get 40K on them.

The Triple treads got great reviews and they can be installed for $183 each tire including everything.

Just not sure which to get, Michelin's are way too expensive for a stock Legacy, and Bridgestone's are flaky from what I have heard and read.

I liked my Eagle GTs. They got a little harsh at the end of their tread life but incredibly sticky as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I did put on Kumho Ecsta 4x s after that though mostly to try something different. They drive really well and are reasonably sticky for an AS tire.

Archived