LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
The 20mm RSB bolted right up and after about 1000mi I have not noticed any major oversteer. The rear end stays flatter than it did before. I would like to eventually install a 26mm FSB, but the install costs are prohibitive for me right now. First up aftermarket springs/struts!

The 24/20 F/R are probably matched up nicely. You may decide against the 26mm bar once you take care of springs/shocks and maybe adjustable LCAs and a proper alignment.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

IIRC the 2010 OEM FSB is 23mm? I'm patiently awaiting pics of coppertone's RCE/bilsteins after he is able to get them off his car. The most suspension work I've ever done on any of my cars is a RSB, so installation will be a learning experience. But back to the FSB, I'm wondering how much the ride is changed from the 23mm to 24mm. Do you think the 26mm would create too much understeer when paired with the 20mm RSB?

IIRC the 2010 OEM FSB is 23mm? I'm patiently awaiting pics of coppertone's RCE/bilsteins after he is able to get them off his car. The most suspension work I've ever done on any of my cars is a RSB, so installation will be a learning experience. But back to the FSB, I'm wondering how much the ride is changed from the 23mm to 24mm. Do you think the 26mm would create too much understeer when paired with the 20mm RSB?

Correct, 23mm is the stock FSB size. 26/20 might be a little more than you'd want, but some of that will depend on the rest of your setup.

You could always throw more negative camber up front and less in the rear if you had to balance it out. There is always a way.

Based on my 2.5i 6mt which was 50/50 F/R split and the 3.6R which is 45/55 F/R split (by split I mean how power is put down according to Subaru), a 26mm FSB and the 22mm RSB (set at 23mm) seem to work decently. My front camber was more negative than the rear for both cars to balance things out.

That is the only reason I believe you will be okay with your F/R setup. If you go bigger up front, you will most likely need to go bigger in the rear.

There are guys who are running more negative camber in the rear, but I don't know their complete setup. They may be running a 23mm/22mm F/R. All I can offer is my experience with the two cars.

That being said, I have never owned an LGT, so I can't give you first hand information. However, I doubt it would be very different.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Not sure if i posted this already or not, and i guess this thread switched to a 20mm rsb install thread.. anyway, i'm in a 2013 2.5i 6MT with the 20mm rsb and stock 26mm fsb. Prothane urethane bushings for the rsb, fsb bushing upgrade is coming soon.

Didn't notice much improvement in cornering to be honest (up from 16mm rsb), but feel MUCH more stable and confident at highway speeds. Maybe because my springs are already upgraded? Slight camber in the rears too. I don't know, regardless i'm very happy with the straight line cruising at least, so to me it was worth it. And it's blue for added hp ;)

20140922_190135.thumb.jpg.f8efc18d92ead6f33d15511e44f78cc6.jpg

• 1 year later...
I did the 20mm RSB upgrade a few weeks ago on my 2013 Legacy 2.5, and I am amazed at the difference it made across the board. Going straight on the interstate is greatly improved, less corrections, better feel, more planted. Ride quality has not changed. The exit ramps and winding roads are a blast now. I'm glad I went with the 20mm over the 19mm, because I feel there is still more anti-sway that could be corrected. For around $100, worth every penny. If there is a larger budget, well, I think the even larger aftermarket RSB mentioned here may be best, but the 20mm nails it very well.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I'm convinced to replace the stock 16mm RSB with ОЕМ 19 or 20mm on my Legacy 2010. Both have relatively the same price tag - 19mm costs $10 more.

What would be the benefit of having 20 over 19mm? I’m just a regular driver of a family sedan with no sport habits at all, who doesn’t like what you all described as a feeling already here having the stock RSB in their vehicles. The roads around me a bit bumpy if that helps. Should I go for the 19 or 20mm?

Thanks.

I would say go with 20 mm RSB, especially if it's cheaper. There's no real reason to go with the 19, as you won't really feel a difference between it and the 20. And replacing your RSB with a thicker one will not have any effect on harshness/softness on bumpy roads whatsoever. A thicker sway bar will just reduce body roll in the rear, which will make driving it feel less a bit less boaty around turns.

Looks like I will be giving my buddies a SOP a ring for the 20MM RSB. My 2014 handles nicely, but I have a bunch of fun roads here in PA that I would like to take advantage of, and there is a decent amount of push at times.

2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed

2002 Impreza 2.5TS - EJ251 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

when you installed those, was it just as simple as remove bolt put on and reinstall that bolt (talking about the bolt that goes up into the chassis).

I got the 20mm installed and it was best just to buy new end links and install the bar with links attached first to the bar first and then bolt end links to lower arms and then bolt up brackets. All done while the car was backed up onto ramps

Archived