LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

Just took a 22mm Whiteline RSB off of my 2014: too stiff for my liking, even at the softest setting. I have a 19mm STI bar on order. Is anyone using braces with the 19mm? I'm thinking of getting some to be safe.

Curious to know if anyone has had issues with bending/breaking at the bracket mounting points with the 19mm upgrade...

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just took a 22mm Whiteline RSB off of my 2014: too stiff for my liking, even at the softest setting. I have a 19mm STI bar on order. Is anyone using braces with the 19mm? I'm thinking of getting some to be safe.

Curious to know if anyone has had issues with bending/breaking at the bracket mounting points with the 19mm upgrade...

You shouldn't have any issues with a 19mm bar.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I've put about 14k miles on mine in the year I've had it. Also lowered on kw coils. Just had the dealer thoroughly check the suspension at the 15k service. No problems anywhere. No autocrossing - just spirited street driving.

Installed this over the weekend along with KartBoy endlinks and AVO reinforcement brackets. Amazing how much difference 3mm makes.

Accidentally dropped the rear differential when removing the bolts for the AVO reinforcement brackets. Scared the crap out of me. It sure would have been nice if AVO included in the instructions to not take out both bolts at the same time. This issue was noted here (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-suspension-upgrades-rsb-endlinks-support-brace-197211.html?p=4179964#post4179964) but, naturally, I forgot about it....

As mcq_ says... 3mm makes a big difference.......... for those wishing to figure out the difference that various bars will make, here is a handy chart worth having ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/SwayBarchart_zps170cff2d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed mine this morning....Dear god...Easiest most effective thing you can do to these cars. It took me about 30 minutes to put in, then I took it for a little test drive. The car feels more planted throughout the turns, and on the highway its a good deal steadier. Best $120.00 I've spent lately.

• 2 months later...
Well I guess I referring more towards upgraded poly bushings via whiteline or prothane, etc etc. I didn't find any 19mm options on whiteline's site but prothane has a "universal" bushing. The rsb has been in for a few years now.

By "universal", are you trying to say you can grab a 19mm bushing off the shelf and use it?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

By "universal", are you trying to say you can grab a 19mm bushing off the shelf and use it?

I will be picking up the 19-1142 shortly for my FSB. ;)

http://prothane.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/UnivProdPg11.jpg

Sooo can anybody confirm a legitimate part number for the "WRX/STI 19mm RSB"? I see that nomenclature floating around, but an applicable year has only been mentioned a few times in earlier posts. 2008-2010 will work, correct? Subaruonlineparts has $77.65 for 08-10 WRX and $83.50 for 08-10 STI (uhh, i thought it was the same piece here..?) Is the part no. 20451FG000 by any chance? It doesn't specifiy it being 19mm, but that's the 08 WRX part no. from subarupartswarehouse, and subaruonlineparts does not seem to list part nos.. :spin:

I feel like it's worth it to spend the extra $100 on the WL 20mm adjustable w/ RSB support brace.. no?

1271789150_wrxvsstirsb.JPG.3a0174376a76271b5ab1d4761ceb6c61.JPG

296221457_wrxvsstirsb_2.JPG.ff4086f2ec025786f0bc887bbe817775.JPG

Just to clarify here, when I searched for that part at Subaronlineparts, it gave two choices, the Forester and the XV swaybar. Wanted to make sure I was ordering the right one!

http://subaruonlineparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=20451VA000&search_in_description=1

Just to clarify here, when I searched for that part at Subaronlineparts, it gave two choices, the Forester and the XV swaybar. Wanted to make sure I was ordering the right one!

http://subaruonlineparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=20451VA000&search_in_description=1

I clicked on the "Subaru Repair Parts" tab and searched that part number in the search box on the right hand side. It came up again for almost $10 cheaper, but because it does not come with the bushings. Do this if you plan on upgrading bushings. Otherwise, I don't think it matters which one of those you get, as it's used on both vehicles. They wouldn't share the same part number if they were different parts.

so, this is new, is the 20mm preferable to the 19mm and will these fit a 2013 Legacy?

Preferable is subjective, but it will be almost 50% stiffer than going to 19mm when compared to our 16mm bar.. I'm inclined enough to believe it will fit based on http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/compatibility-new-15-wrx-224480.html?p=4900656&highlight=20451VA000#post4900656, that I just purchased one. Got 20% off at subarupartswarehouse.com using promo code AUG14. Expires tomorrow though. I'll confirm when it's done in a week or two.

so, this is new, is the 20mm preferable to the 19mm and will these fit a 2013 Legacy?

You do want to make sure to balance the sway bar sizing from front to rear though. Our stock 16mm does lack torsional rigidity and this translates to possible understeer with a factory setup as well as body roll, etc. Increasing the sway bar to 19 or 20mm will help balance this but too much stiffness in the rear sway bar without compensation in the front end will eventually result in oversteer. I haven't upgraded my front sway bar yet but I do have 19mm on the rear and that was a very nice improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived