LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

i just installed the 22mm adjustable sway from whiteline. I was going to get the 20mm but got a great deal on it from coppertone! the stock endlinks definitely look frail but this bar comes with the support arms which helps takes some of the pressure off of the end links. I am on the medium setting as well and will be upgrading the end likes soon. didn't realize that new endlinks would run $125.

my bar is really close to the undercarriage where the spare tire sits. I am guessing this is b/c of the increased thickness of the new bar. are you guys sitting the same way? it looks like it in the picture above, but can't be positive b/c of the angle.

How's the 22 pairing up with the stock front sway and endlinks? got any oversteer?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, everybody!. I think this is my first post but I've been lurking around for a while before I bought my car a few weeks ago.

I was ruling out all mods to this car because it was supposed to be a family car, but I just experienced the "crosswind gut check" as I like to call it. I found the 19mm RSB locally for about $65 so I figure it's not much to lose even if it doesn't help with the crosswind issue.

I have a question for those who have the upgraded RSB though: does this emphasize more understeer or more oversteer? Or is it negligible? I just upgraded from a FWD car that suffered from understeer, and in stock form the Legacy is already a vast improvement.

How's the 22 pairing up with the stock front sway and endlinks? got any oversteer?

it's great so far! i thought the 22mm would be a bit much but the handling is pretty neutral even on the middle setting. endlinks are fine b/c this bar comes with support arms that link up to the brackets and frame that take stress off of the links. i do still plan on upgrading the links at some point though.

Got a question for this pic:

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=105043&g2_serialNumber=1

What's the benefit of using loc-tite? Should it be used for adjustable RSB?

And which Kartboy endlinks work for our model? I see a Kartboy 2008+ Rear Endlink Kit for $125 and a Kartboy STi Rear Endlinks (2004-2007) for $115.

thanks man, but since i plan to order them soon allow me to ask in the suspension forum. :)

I should've also mentioned that I purchased that particular set based on a conversation with Tanner at RallySportDirect (via text chat feature), whom confirmed directly with Kartboy that they would fit before I placed the order.

Hey, everybody!. I think this is my first post but I've been lurking around for a while before I bought my car a few weeks ago.

I was ruling out all mods to this car because it was supposed to be a family car, but I just experienced the "crosswind gut check" as I like to call it. I found the 19mm RSB locally for about $65 so I figure it's not much to lose even if it doesn't help with the crosswind issue.

I have a question for those who have the upgraded RSB though: does this emphasize more understeer or more oversteer? Or is it negligible? I just upgraded from a FWD car that suffered from understeer, and in stock form the Legacy is already a vast improvement.

It gets pretty windy here in Colorado and I've been blasted pretty hard in the new car both with and without the 19mm bar in the wind. The car is much more stable with the 19mm RSB. It will just feel more like a better planted family sedan. These cars are heavy and need the bigger RSB. The car isn't going to be changed into a race car because of this bar. It's just going to feel a lot better! :)

It will just feel more like a better planted family sedan. These cars are heavy and need the bigger RSB. The car isn't going to be changed into a race car because of this bar. It's just going to feel a lot better! :)

Exactly what I'm hoping for. Thanks.

If those fit fine that this would open up a whole line of endlink choices :)

I completed my sway bar and end link install last night with no issues. End links fit perfectly using the middle setting on the adjustable sway bar.

I completed my sway bar and end link install last night with no issues. End links fit perfectly using the middle setting on the adjustable sway bar.

That's good to hear, also do you think it would fit just as fine with the other two settings?

So I am getting the karboy links, but I can't decide which RSB to get:

1. 20mm fixed

2. 20mm adjustable

3. 22mm adjustable

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=104973

I've got some install pics there, not exactly the same setup but you can get the idea what is involved. I've driving with mine for a while now and find it is a very nice improvement. Using KB links involved rotating the rear shocks 180° not needed with stock endlinks. Not difficult but more involved to be sure. When the weather gets warmer I may try a stiffer setting, not sure I'd want to try that with the stock endlinks :)

How involved is it to rotate the shocks? Does the shock need to come completely out or can it be rotated while still in position with the bolts loosened?

In other words would it be wise to wait and install the sway bar when you're installing RCE blacks?

That's good to hear, also do you think it would fit just as fine with the other two settings?

So I am getting the karboy links, but I can't decide which RSB to get:

1. 20mm fixed

2. 20mm adjustable

3. 22mm adjustable

I installed the Kartboys with the 19mm Subaru RSB. Honestly, I cant imagine the ride being that much better with those $120+ RSB's.

I installed the Kartboys with the 19mm Subaru RSB. Honestly, I cant imagine the ride being that much better with those $120+ RSB's.

I think it depends on how you will drive the car. I selected the 22mm adjustable and will get Kartboys or equiv. have 18x9" rims with 245/40s and will be installing RCE springs for improved handling and STI Brembos. I will move to the most aggressive setting on the bar once this is done. For winter, plan to move endlinks to the lowest setting.

If I had the 19mm bar, I would just keep the endlinks and maybe supplement them with a Whiteline or AVO endlink mount strengthening kit if agressive driving is part of daily driving.

I was thinking whether to get the 20 fixed, set it and forget it. Or go with 20 adj. so I can run 21 in summer and 19 in winter. Then there is the 22 adj. since I've decided to get the kartboy endlinks.

tough.....

I will write a review after it gets installed.

One of the shops here charge $100/hour for parts installation, so is it easy to rotate the shocks? I don't want them to waste time figuring those kind of things out.

so is it easy to rotate the shocks?

I didn't rotate them when I did my install. Didn't appear to be needed to be honest. I need to take another look with sober eyes though and I'll take a picture if it is not needed. If necessary though I planned on doing it while installing my S Tech springs within the next few days.

Pics would be great. So I take it you're not experiencing any contact between the strut and Kartboy endlink. Maybe it's just on the 3.6R. Different struts between 2.5GT and 3.6R :confused:

I've been using the 25mm (2 position adjustable) RSB from RCE (RaceComp Engineering) and Kart Boy end links for a year now and have had zero fitment issues, or shock interference, on either setting. Very happy with the performance. :wub:;)

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/BigBopper_01/LGT/P1010001JPG.jpg

Archived