LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

Hello,

I called the parts guy at the Subaru dealer today and asked about buying the 19 mm sway bar for my Legacy LTD 2.5. He really was not recommending buying this saying that it is for the Impreza. He went on to say more or less that the service department would not be willing to install this. I quoted him the part number but no go.

Instead he gave me the number for an after market seller.

Any body else have this reaction? Any thoughts?

Just buy the bar and install it yourself. Parts guys can be really irritating at times thinking they know so much more than you do. The combined knowledge and experience of forums like this are equal to or greater than any parts wrangler out there.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ditto

Asking a parts guy for advice is like asking the IRS for tax advice. Here is parts counter role in the world, give them a part number and ask how much. Stop your conversation right there. Even then, double check the part when they give it to you.

I just picked up my buddies '10 STI 19mm sway off of him last night and am pumped to put this on the legacy!

Is it necessary to replace the endlinks with KartBoys and the bolts as well? I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues like BigBopper with the suspension knock using the OEM bolts and end links. I am installing the RSB tomorrow with stock parts, that's all I got for now. If people have been having issues with the OEM parts then I will hold off.

Thanks for the info in advance!

-Anthony

I just picked up my buddies '10 STI 19mm sway off of him last night and am pumped to put this on the legacy!

Is it necessary to replace the endlinks with KartBoys and the bolts as well? I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues like BigBopper with the suspension knock using the OEM bolts and end links. I am installing the RSB tomorrow with stock parts, that's all I got for now. If people have been having issues with the OEM parts then I will hold off.

Thanks for the info in advance!

-Anthony

I tried the 19mm RSB first with the stock links,improved the handling a little

but still felt a bit sloppy/loose due to the ball type end movement.

Replaced the endlinks w/Kartboys,BIG difference in handling,feels much more solid/flatter thru turns..well worth the $$$!IMO

Probably not a bad idea to replace the frt. endlinks too.

Don't feel a knock in the OEM lower a-arm bolts,but it'd probably be a good idea to replace those too,or at least use new lock nuts.

I tried the 19mm RSB first with the stock links,improved the handling a little

but still felt a bit sloppy/loose due to the ball type end movement.

Replaced the endlinks w/Kartboys,BIG difference in handling,feels much more solid/flatter thru turns..well worth the $$$!IMO

Probably not a bad idea to replace the frt. endlinks too.

Don't feel a knock in the OEM lower a-arm bolts,but it'd probably be a good idea to replace those too,or at least use new lock nuts.

what do the links do?

what do the links do?

Makes the sway bar more "active" and allows it to do what it was designed to do without having the play or added movement that the OEM links possess.

Plus the KB's are waaaay stronger than the pencil thin stock endlinks, which could easily bend/break when used with a larger dia.stiffer s/b.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-sway-bar-3-6r-133668p2.html?highlight=Kartboy (ignore link, picture is below)

In this post, Peaty showed the clearance problem he had with the Kartboys and the rear spring perch with the Whiteline 23mm adjustable RSB. The solution was to rotate the perch. No biggie just more time. The 19mm bar may not have the same issue as the Whiteline RSB as it differs where the end link connects to it.

Can anyone that has installed Kartboy end links take a picture and state the RSB make and model?

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=104983&g2_serialNumber=1

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-sway-bar-3-6r-133668p2.html?highlight=Kartboy

In this post, Peaty showed the clearance problem he had with the Kartboys and the rear spring perch with the Whiteline 23mm adjustable RSB. The solution was to rotate the perch. No biggie just more time. The 19mm bar may not have the same issue as the Whiteline RSB as it differs where the end link connects to it.

Can anyone that has installed Kartboy end links take a picture and state the RSB make and model?

Here ya go,this is the 19mm RSB kit that fits the outback w/KB dogbones.

1957459842_Subiepics006.thumb.jpg.7c3a7ca5bc47d7749bad5cc69f4d5f9e.jpg

That's what I thought. I called my local Subi dealer to see if they had the bar and of course the parts guy is telling me that I need to get the clamps too. I didn't think he was right, but I thought I'd check with the real knowledge base, LegacyGT.com.

Thanks for the info guys. Put the 19mm in two nights ago with the stock end links to give it a shot. Made a difference, car feels much more planted on the highway and through turns. Going to order the end links soon and put those on as well.

ST.GLegacy thanks for that pic, makes buying the end links a no-brainer.

OK, that was one of the BEST, CHEAPEST and EASIEST mods I've ever done!!!!! And I didn't even need to jack the car up or get it up on ramps. The car is still at it's original hieght so I could barely fit under there to get at the bar. Really easy to do this. And it only took about 30 minutes to do.

I totally love the effect of this bar and as others have said, this is the way these cars should have been equipt. The car is now as I was hoping it would have been: Tight!

I'll add the KartBoy end links when I get a bit more money for mods, the factory end links are pretty thin, but for now I'm liking this a lot! :D :D :D :D

:whore:This was my 1st ever mod and WOW what a difference!

Echoing others, this is what the car should have came with and what I expected from a Subaru (1st Subaru).

Much easier to drive, less jiggly, tracks better, more predictable, car feels much more planted, more substantial, feels heavier but in a good way.

Surprisingly I found the change more noticeable at lower speeds when on secondary roads than at highway speeds, the opposite of what I expected.

I also have a shaker (although less than what is reported here, I believe) and the RSB has reduced the steering wheel shake a bit as well, about 20% less shake.

I kept the stock endlinks, if they bend/fall off I'll go with the Kartboys.

I never experienced any of what has been reported here in either threads concerning handling/shaking/wind blown feelings with these cars. But now with the 19mm RSB the car even feels better.

Now I think I want some Blacks to reduce the porpoising while braking and accelerating. Then I'll be really happy with this car. Well, not that I'm disapointed in it, just that it was a bit "soft" from the factory.

Ok.. just to be sure... The 19mm sway bar for the outback.

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_120&products_id=1267&osCsid=f351d59990bfc88a6da4908d624a3d45

Will work on 2010 Legacy sedan 2.5i pzev..

Sorry but I'm not the biggest Mod-er... and I want to make sure cause they only offer it in the Outback acc and not in the legacy section.

Thanks in advance.

Archived