LegacyGT.com

Transgo Kit Guinea Pig!!!

OGHK87Jay

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slipping is not acceptable or a maintainable condition of the clutches, so I would only consider it as a failure. That said, it is most likely doable to lathe out the drum/piston and add enough clutch material to engage through severe torque input. Whether or not anything will break under these conditions is yet to be seen.

But I cannot justify doing all of this if it is not needed (example being if boost dump succeeds as a torque cut option.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...

See this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101p7.html

and this post:

I just spoke with TransGo. They took my number and will hopefully call when they have more of the Legacy GT shift kit together. The issue is that they're working on an OEM transmission issue for another party, and they're going to try to get back to our transmission in 3-4 weeks.

The Jatco RE5R05A is almost identical with minor differences, but the big issue is getting instructions so that shops don't break the valve body during the process.

This could probably make the install much easier, since official instructions are coming from Transgo. I'm sure many of us (myself included) would love a service to install the Transgo kit.

If TransGo doesn't come out with one, ClimberD should have one out soon for the 05's, 08's probably later down the line.

See this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101p7.html

and this post:

If TransGo doesn't come out with one, ClimberD should have one out soon for the 05's, 08's probably later down the line.

I follow that thread, just that thread shouldnt be contaminated w/ transgo. If transgo pulls through, they are just a 45min drive from where I live vs. shipping to ClimberD. It comes down to price (Prob ClimberD,) what ClimberD does, downtime and I do have an 08 which ClimberD is not working on yet

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

ean611, please keep us in the loop per your install. I just talked with Jim at TransGo. He didn't sound particularly interested in hearing that there are significant fluid routing differences between the 05-07 and 08-09 VBs. He wants to release one master kit with instructions for all 4th Gen LGT years. This is a good idea. However, there needs to be 2 completely different instruction sets for each of the valve body types. They did something like this for the RE5R05A kit, instructions for the two different kinds of top decks found in those transmissions. However, the LGT VB variants have far more differences between the 07/08 design switch. The parts in the kit should be identical, but the instructions for drilling should be completely different. So if he has given you one instruction set for the "LGT" then you may find yourself very lost. If anything, the 08-09LGT is going to be more similar to the 350Z than the 05-07 valve body, as there are 2 channel decks in the 08-09 and 350Z VBs, and 3 channel decks in the 05-07 completely insane VB.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. I don't expect this to be a drop in, and I'm hoping between the 350z and the 05-07 stuff, I'll be able to make this work. He asked me to photograph everything, which is the plan.

The one thing I want to know is what the resistor that IPT used on M Sprank's car was (resistor they used on 08-09 mod). I think was was to fool the TCU to higher line pressure, but assuming the Transgo kit works as intended, it hopefully won't throw any codes and just be drop in.

I'll find out. Hopefully I won't break an expensive part.

Oh, and any expertise you can share would be much appreciated. If you need any radio mods, I can add line level output and remove loudness from the stock radio.

Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. I don't expect this to be a drop in, and I'm hoping between the 350z and the 05-07 stuff, I'll be able to make this work. He asked me to photograph everything, which is the plan.

The one thing I want to know is what the resistor that IPT used on M Sprank's car was (resistor they used on 08-09 mod). I think was was to fool the TCU to higher line pressure, but assuming the Transgo kit works as intended, it hopefully won't throw any codes and just be drop in.

I'll find out. Hopefully I won't break an expensive part.

Oh, and any expertise you can share would be much appreciated. If you need any radio mods, I can add line level output and remove loudness from the stock radio.

At a later time I would actually love to ship you my radio!

Advice? It's pretty black and white with regards to modding it. The instructions are either 100% correct, or they are more worthless than toilet paper. You will find out. The actual contents of the TransGo kit is valves and springs, a few check balls, and a tapered orifice. Get a small pick set to enable you to get the valves out. Keep in mind when you separate the valve body levels that gravity will ruin your day, so make sure the black divider plates are always underneath the bottom side of the alloy deck you are pulling away, or check balls will fall out. Separately, you will want a magnetic pickup tool, a small one. To get the valves out, you will find out very quickly that everything is spring loaded. Just be careful and methodical or you will launch things 20 feet. You will need a small flathead screwdriver. You will also need a T30 torx bit if it is anything like the 05-07 vb. Give me a call if you open it up and find it to be a little tricky. PM me if you don't have it.

Yes to major wear, no to minor wear. The TCU logic is actually fairly sophisticated in that it can adapt to normal wear of clutch packs. It should mask the little wear.

Conversely, major wear, which would produce a slip and then a slam into gear, or worst case a slip with no engagement into gear ever, is such that you either have it or you don't.

I don't know. But remember in manual mode shifting 1>2, it is at higher line pressure than normal + added pressure for cold temp compensation. So it's going to intentionally slam. The hypothetical slip prior to the slam may not be a slip but instead may be the fact that every RE5R05A variant has an irritating push button shift delay. I bet I can cure that with a stand-alone TCU, which no one wants but everyone should want.

P.S. did I mention my respect for TransGo has faded as it appears they might be guessing on the instructions for the 08 shift kit, and having one of us be a guinea pig. How they don't even have an 08 and 05 valve body in their shop for R&D, and aren't even aware of when the change happened for the 4th Gens, is completely disheartening. I really hope I'm wrong on all these points, but so far it doesn't sound good.

What is it with all these valve body modification companies!?!?!?!

Archived