LegacyGT.com

Transgo Kit Guinea Pig!!!

OGHK87Jay

I called transgo today they said the test and designing had already been done. I even asked about the price and they said that they werent able to tell me and the only way to find out about the price and which kit was have a transmission guy call in and enquire about it. So now we need someone to enquire about the price of the kit.

I work in a shop...of sorts, I teach Vehicle Mechanics. Maybe they would give me the info? Can you PM me the number of the guy you called? Also was that for a 05/06 or 07+?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work in a shop...of sorts, I teach Vehicle Mechanics. Maybe they would give me the info? Can you PM me the number of the guy you called? Also was that for a 05/06 or 07+?

Well they didn't say what years. They were very vague. Yeah I'll PM the info.

The guy also said that it would be very hard to do the modification yourself. They recomended that it has to be done at a transmission shop and that guy better have years of experience dealing with transmissions. So heads up everyone

The guy also said that it would be very hard to do the modification yourself. They recomended that it has to be done at a transmission shop and that guy better have years of experience dealing with transmissions. So heads up everyone

There are some guys here who teach an advanced transmission class hopefully they can help me out.

There are some guys here who teach an advanced transmission class hopefully they can help me out.

That's freaking awesome. I'm looking forward to this. BTW when I asked they referenced the 350z kit RE5RO5A-HD2. Maybe its a modified version. So I'm guessing we could use that kit. But again that guy was being way too vague to be certain. You'll most likely have much better luck with them then me

You are quite correct. That is exactly what the shop that installed mine told me. Preferably you would want someone who had experience with TransGo kits.

That's freaking awesome. I'm looking forward to this. BTW when I asked they referenced the 350z kit RE5RO5A-HD2. Maybe its a modified version. So I'm guessing we could use that kit. But again that guy was being way too vague to be certain. You'll most likely have much better luck with them then me

The 5eat are based on the Jatco transmission used in RWD Nissan cars - more of the Fairlady Zs

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

There is no ETA on a date that the kit will be ready. Talked with a guy named mark. Most all of the r&d has been completed. Awaiting for finished instructions and sounded like one last part. I gave him my info, so if there is any other stuff they need a car for we can provide it. Sorry didn't get back sooner was having troubles with my internet. Sent from my phone today at work....

There is no ETA on a date that the kit will be ready. Talked with a guy named mark. Most all of the r&d has been completed. Awaiting for finished instructions and sounded like one last part. I gave him my info, so if there is any other stuff they need a car for we can provide it. Sorry didn't get back sooner was having troubles with my internet. Sent from my phone today at work....

You got more of an answer then I did!!:eek: Who ever I was talking to was grumpy as hell:mad:

Are you going to beef up any other part of the tranny besides the valve body?

Clutch packs, Flex Plate, Torque Convertor?

I think you would most likely have to according to lieutenantcolumbo. He lost 4th and 5th gear after like a while. Im not to sure about the torque converter though.

Read this

Went stage 3 last December '09, by February '10 both 4th & 5th gear were gone.

Would have probably happened sooner if not for the record amount of snow we were having at the time. :lol:

I had a transmission cooler put in as soon as I went stage 2. I had also put in the IPT valve shortly after going stage 3, but I am guessing the damage must have already been done when I was stage 2 or as soon as I went stage 3, because shortly there after is when I lost the top two gears.

My local transmission shop would not give me a warranty with the IPT valve body installed (even though they had installed it), hence I sold that and they completely rebuilt my transmission, working with TransGo to upgrade the valve body. They threw in other goodies like extra 4th & 5th gear clutches, welded and reworked the torque converter, etc. so they tell me it should handle 450whp now. No slipping yet.

It's all documented in the 5EAT Pride! thread.

As the theory goes, at least my theory, the problem is that the TCU doesn't tell the ECU to pull enough timing or do enough other compensation for a MORE POWERFUL car than stock, during shifts. Clutch slipping is a necessity of shifting gears. Putting in a lot of power during a shift IS the problem. If you put in tons of power AFTER a shift is complete and the clutches/bands have a static hold, then it will take a LOT of torque... a LOT LOT LOT of torque to lose that grip and slip.

A valve body is necessary for those that go WOT during shifts, because it applies greater clamping pressure to combat indefinite slipping. Supposedly the TransGo VB Bob has is better at this than the IPT VB.

I've been very successful not flooring it like a teenager during shifts. It's a habit I apply to all my cars. And it has proven very successful.

In short, part of a successful VB mod is to have your right foot be part of the mod.

Carry on.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Couldn't agree more.

What I don't get is what is up with all the top down failures? I don't get how that happens and I suppose that's where my knowledge of the inner workings of a tranny fails me?

I mean, is one still at risk putting around town in Drive at Stage 2 with a valve body mod and tranny cooler? I just don't get how that happens since WOT molests 1-2-3, don't it?

The 5EAT tends to want to be in 5th gear a lot for fuel economy reasons. It also is too reluctant to downshift if you apply the throttle while in 5th gear. When you go Stage 2 or Stage 3 you significantly raise the horsepower and torque.

I think too much torque in 5th gear slips the clutch and causes it to fail. After that the slipping 5th gear took out my 4th gear on a down shift (revved it too high, but it was moot point at that stage anyway since a rebuild was required). I think manually down shifting out of 5th all the time would saved or extended the life of my tranny, but then why have an automatic?

Going WOT from dead stop wouldn't be the likely culprit to take out 5th gear, as 3rd gear tops out at +100mph. Going WOT while in 5th gear is what destroys these transmissions in my opinion.

I asked the transmission shop about manually down shifting prior to flooring it while in 5th gear after the rebuild, and he said that the valve body mods and extra clutches made this unnecessary. It is still probably a good idea for longevity and your wallet and should definitely be standard practice for those who haven't beefed up their tranny, but its fun to be able to be a teenager again once in while and not worry about it. :lol:

This is offtopic but I'll do some monitoring with the AP and see what boost etc the car gets to in normal driving squeezing the pedal. All I can tell you is I tested mine and floored it at 35 in 5th manual mode and held the gear like no tomorrow.

It stands to reason that during highway cruising, since you are able to make a lot more power in 5th with a bigger turbo, giving any amount of gas, whether 50% or WOT, will produce much more power than the TCU is set for you to produce. This means that you won't request an appropriate amount of line pressure, because the TCU is only reading the requested torque table, not the actual engine torque or MAP or anything that would be relevant to actual power. So when you gas it and make WAY more power in 5th than the TCU thinks you are, it does not provide enough line pressure when it goes to downshift. So the shift is weaker than it needs to be, and happens for longer, and then you burn your clutches and bands and anything associated with friction during a shift. Especially since many people give part throttle to only drop to 4th instead of 3rd on the highway, it is not giving the full line pressure that is should, because it has no idea how much more powerful your car is.

I really think people should TUNE THEIR THROTTLE TABLES!!! There is NO reason why you shouldn't. It says right in the vacation pics, Requested Torque, MPH, RPM and fluid temp are the 4 determinants of line pressure. Requested torque is the tunable value!!!

Infamous added a flat 30% or 40% to all of my Requested Torque table, don't remember. It was at my request. He tuned the TB table column header scaling to match. Same pedal input to throttle body output as before, but with the TCU now told to open up more line pressure. Simple. And necessary since 400whp is the next stop for the pink Veyron after this gas tune is finished.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

5th gear goes first at stg2+ b/c of the increased pressure and strain on 5th. 5th gear at 40mph with the TQ locked, and the flooring it, takes forever to downshift, thus adding strain and heat. Hence the reason I am always in manumatic mode and only am in 5th, on the highway, at 70mph or over.

5th gear goes first at stg2+ b/c of the increased pressure and strain on 5th. 5th gear at 40mph with the TQ locked, and the flooring it, takes forever to downshift, thus adding strain and heat. Hence the reason I am always in manumatic mode and only am in 5th, on the highway, at 70mph or over.

The big torque is when the TC is free floating, not when it is locked. Again, the issue is what happens between when full pressure is holding the 5th gear set, and when full pressure is holding the 4th or 3rd gear set. The issue is NOT when 5th is held in manumatic and will not be shifting. Much bigger torque has been applied to 5th without problems than stage 2.

Try this. Jab the gas pedal. Just give it a quick jab. Like stab it. From steady throttle lift off, jab it 50% real quick like you would clutch in a spirited shift on a MT. The tranny should downshift from 5th. At least mine does, without fail. It usually throws it in 3rd and will hold that gear for a good bit waiting for input.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived