LegacyGT.com

GI: New Quad Tip CBE for 05-09 from Infamous Performance

m sprank

Cobb is out of production. Has been for at least two years. They are out there used. I have one. But it is now spoken for locally. I think I am giving it up and just going with the quad tip. Not keeping both. Why be greedy?

I even tuned LALGT's car. Gas and e-85. So, forget mix of city/highway. how about doing pulls for 2 hours straight? Ran enough fuel through her to fully blacken the tips while tuning. No burn. None. Double wall tips stay sooo cool. Its great.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Heya Mike, is that with extended highway driving, or only around-town?

Thats with WOT tuning pulls till the tips are blackened with e85 goodness. NO MELT. If it did not melt in my tunes and bumper to bumper traffic I doubt it could even on a hot trackday.

I have about 500 miles on mine, extended driving(2+ hours in one sitting), traffic, canyon cruising and commuting. No melted bumpers to report here.

I even tuned LALGT's car. Gas and e-85. So, forget mix of city/highway. how about doing pulls for 2 hours straight? Ran enough fuel through her to fully blacken the tips while tuning. No burn. None. Double wall tips stay sooo cool. Its great.

Thats with WOT tuning pulls till the tips are blackened with e85 goodness. NO MELT. If it did not melt in my tunes and bumper to bumper traffic I doubt it could even on a hot trackday.

Flippin' AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D

I can finally ditch the heat-shielding tape that I'm using for my POS Invidia!!!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Cobb is out of production. Has been for at least two years. They are out there used. I have one. But it is now spoken for locally. I think I am giving it up and just going with the quad tip. Not keeping both. Why be greedy?

Mike, I will be more then happy to take the Cobb off your hands :) Just a reminder :lol:

For those that are/were kind enough to add the extra $30 to their payment I will be supplying the "missing" hardware from Stromung. I will mail separately the required nuts and bolts and a 3" CBE gasket. I am buying the nuts and bolts local and just ordered 40 3" CBE gaskets.

So, even if Stromung is failing to include the hardware for connection to the DP, I will supply it.

Why would I sell my Cobb to a 2.5i? So it can get hacked to bits? No way. A customer is buying a full stage3 build. From stage1 to stage3 jump. I think I will put it on that car.

Yes, Cobb is a full CBE. Not an axleback. Plus mine has been modified to remove the 2.5" restriction. It is like the current Stromungs. 3" flat flange and 3" piping all the way.

Fred is selling his Prodrives already.

Yes, Cobb is a full CBE. Not an axleback. Plus mine has been modified to remove the 2.5" restriction. It is like the current Stromungs. 3" flat flange and 3" piping all the way.

Fred is selling his Prodrives already.

My bad... I was thinking of the Prodrives. I like the tips and the fitment of the Cobb, thats why I want to get it from you Mike!

• 1 month later...

I wish I had a recording of that quote.

I recall telling you I could sell 20 without trying. The forum would sell them for me just by word of mouth. All I had to do was come up with a design that fit better than the Invidia and had great tips. In the end I think I way overshot the expectation we had that night for fit, and quality. Heck, I remember the word "China" being used that first night.

I think the final tally speaks for itself. 60 ordered and I could easily sell 5-10 more right now at the GB price.

It was far more work than I originally planned. The profit is much lower too (is there a profit? I need to check and make sure there is not a hole in my pocket).

But I hope that at least 1 of the finest LGT quad tips ever made live on this earth longer than I do. At least I made something in an attempt to leave behind a mark.

I also sold more than 10. So someone owes me a payment for a gentleman's bet. I accept cheap lunches. I dont eat much.

Well, seeing as the GB closed a long time ago, perhaps you should consider offering additional units, if they can be added to the production, for a modest increase over the GB price.

You deserve to make a profit, you're running a business. Many folks underestimate the amount of work that goes into managing a GB like this or for that matter, trying to run a profitable business.

Anyhow, just a thought. Seems like there's demand and I'm not saying jack the price by 20% but add on a couple of bucks more for Infamous Performance and I'm sure you'll still have a bunch of takers. This is a limited edition piece. Last chance to get in on it. :)

(make a few more wagon units - surprised there were so few ordered. keep one or two for 'stock', they're guaranteed to sell.)

Problem is to realistically make any money on these I need to sell them for $1200+. Not a few dollars more, but a true retail price.

I got no discount from Stromiung for buying 60. They will not produce if less than 12 units. Price per unit is the same for 12 or 1,000,000,000. I was originally given a cost estimate that was far short from true cost. The changes I made to the CBE ended up raising production cost by $100 per unit.

So, I am not interested in spending $12k to buy inventory to sit on and then try to sell for a whopping $200 mark up (at best). I will lose money again sitting on them.

So, as far as I am concerned. This is it. I dont see any demand at $1250 each. I would have been better off pricing them at $1100 now and only having made 20 than what I did.

There's a lot to be said about good-will Mike... and you've earned/created a ton. You can take that to the bank. ;) It may not immediately put "more" food on the table, but at least the supply will be steady...and in this market, that's a good thing. Keep up the great work. Now that I have one of my BDs here from San Diego, I may need some help in sourcing other "pahts" for it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Once this GB is completely over and all CBE's have been delivered I can sit down with a fresh mind set and discuss options with Stromung. But I make no promises of anything. Running GB's of this size and value is very time consuming and stressful.

While I know it's more likely that pigs may fly I figured I throw it out there...if for some reason anyone dislikes their quad-tip Stromung sedan exhaust that our wonderful friend Mike slaved hard to coordinate/produce and would like to sell please PM me and I'll gladly take it off your hands :) I know ... I know...fat chance in hell but hey...never hurts to ask :)

Archived