LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs. Mediocrity

WraithAkaMrak

AWD car is much safer than RWD or FWD car in a corner.

I am not sure if 90/10 Subaru system is safer (not to mention much safer) than RWD or FWD car. If AWD system changes which axle gets more power mid corner it may disturb the balance and catch the driver unexpected.

Making general statements is prone to exaggeration.

Krzys

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure if 90/10 Subaru system is safer (not to mention much safer) than RWD or FWD car. If AWD system changes which axle gets more power mid corner it may disturb the balance and catch the driver unexpected.

Making general statements is prone to exaggeration.

Krzys

This only applies to 4EAT (and CVT maybe ?) cars. But with than transmission you still get better front to back wieght distribution than FWD cars, no torque steer and some understeer so the car is safer for a regular driver in a corner.

In order to disturb the balance 2 things must happen. First transferring power to rear axle must be slow enough so engine power is up. Second power transfer must be sudden, spike like and not smooth. This was only the issue with some early haldex FWD based cars AFAIK.

Someone on the forum researched this and found out that the AWD with CVT transmission is actually 60/40 not 90/10.

The Manual Trans is 50/50 I think the Auto Trans is 50/50 too. I'll see if i can find the post or the info.

Here is the Info from subaru:

(I highlighted the important stuff in Bold)

All-Wheel Drive is the Lineartronic® CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). This production-car first - a CVT longitudinally paired with AWD that uses a chain instead of a belt - allows for a near infinite selection of gear ratios, keeping the engine in the most favourable rpm range at all times. This advanced transmission is mated to a multi-plate transfer clutch AWD system that maintains a 60/40 torque split (front/rear) and automatically adjusts up to a 50/50 split under hard acceleration. The Lineartronic CVT (which is standard on Legacy 2.5i Convenience Package and 2.5i Limited Package and available on 2.5i and 2.5i Sport Package) is also specifically tuned to provide a more natural feel than other designs for instant response on demand with minimal application of the accelerator pedal. Paddle shifters also provide a 6-step manual mode for quick response on demand.

The Legacy 3.6R comes equipped with a Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) AWD system paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission with Manual Mode. Using an electro-mechanical centre differential with the advanced capabilities of a planetary gear set, VTD maintains a sporty 45/55 (front/rear) torque distribution and moves towards a 50/50 torque split in slippery conditions or under hard acceleration. This electronically controlled 5-speed transmission also features driver-adaptive shifting, blipping control for sportier downshifts and manual gear selection via paddle shifters.

For maximum control and sporty satisfaction, a new, slick-shifting, 6-speed manual transmission is standard on the Legacy 2.5i and turbocharged 2.5GT. This transmission is linked to an AWD system that utilizes a viscous-coupling limited-slip centre differential and maintains a 50/50 torque split (front/rear) for heightened response under all conditions. The new 6-speed also offers smoother, more precise shifting in a more compact and lightweight design to further boost its sporty nature.

wow, i would like to thank everyone for the amusement that helped me procrastinate my research project. Also i thought legacy owners are supposed to be friendly about cars. Everyone likes THEIR legacy and thats all that matters its what makes it yours....this looks like a immature nasioc posting

wow, i would like to thank everyone for the amusement that helped me procrastinate my research project. Also i thought legacy owners are supposed to be friendly about cars. Everyone likes THEIR legacy and thats all that matters its what makes it yours....this looks like a immature nasioc posting

The NASIOC folks have been around a lot longer, we are just begining to grow up like them.

macro-economics. I have to create a false economy and than create different situations and follow what i think the reactions of the economy would be. It is not nearly as amusing as this awesome thread.

Throw it against virtual economies and it might be amusing. It'd be neat to read about from an economist how all the video game economies act compared to real world economies.

2nd gens could handle pretty well, heard they had active weight reduction through a trick headgasket that let excess fluid out

The truck I had in high school did something similar, except it would drop exhaust parts...

:lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

My old Pontiac would have the interior fall apart, but I had to manually chuck them in the trash.

You can always tell who owned a 90s GM car by seeing if they had a spare set of needle nose pliers to replace their HVAC knobs.

Does this mean I think something is WRONG with the 5th gen? Nothing wrong with a 5th gen that isn't wrong with any car that tries to be all things to all people. We are not trying to copy a rock crawler, formula one or submarine. All things considered, everything in subaru lineup is better than mediocre.

+1,000,000 ftw

Handles better than a 3 series? Sure, against a lease spec with allseasons and a porky AWD setup. A4? Sure, again with allseasons and an engine placement that boggles the mind. Lexus 250 AWD? Sure, against the most underwhelming "sports" sedan of all time. Surprised you didn't put a LeSabre or Avalon in the mix. They're some mean apex carvers!

Back in reality, the car handles like garbage. Too much weight out front, bad suspension setup and a numb chassis. Stop kidding yourself that any Legacy was decent, because it ain't. It handles for what it is and always has been -- an AWD Camry you could get with a stick and something other than a boring 4 pot.

You're wrong about the A4. The A4 had summer tires (that were wider than the LGTs) and the S-line package and cost a LOT more than the Spec.B that it was compared to. And the MS6 that it went up against also had RE050a tires. Sure the IS250 isn't much of a sport sedan, but cost quite a bit more than the GT, along with most of the contenders in the link below. That's the point of the 4th gen 2.5GT: you couldn't beat it for the money. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, the 2010 2.5GT did not achieve this status.

We will all be looking forward to the comparison of the "new and improved" 2010 2.5GT against the competition. Also, you're right about the stock 2.5GT having terrible handling. I'm sure that the 20lbs added to the 2010 completely changed that, though.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/all-wheel-drive-sport-sedans/results_and_final_standings_page_9

New for 2011: Folding mirrors! (which will also improve handling)

legacy11carmel1.jpg.e167981aa5c0a384a543f3cbe962d23b.jpg

lol

Toyota makes boring cars (and also make a lot of money)... it's rubbing off on Subaru (because Subaru wants to make money)... I don't like it... I probably wont buy another (I will keep mine longer than I had planned)... /END

If you are so upset about it, move into one of the German brands... they make wonderful cars.

If you are so upset about it, move into one of the German brands... they make wonderful cars.

And in my opinion German cars are boring because they try too much to be perfect in every sense. It's something like racing a leather couch. You can do it - but it's not really making sense.

453747.png

And in my opinion German cars are boring because they try too much to be perfect in every sense. It's something like racing a leather couch. You can do it - but it's not really making sense.

My dad's '07 Audi S4 had about 4-5 different electric systems (power windows, swiveling power headlights, etc) crap out on him.

His '10 BMW 528i had all the valve lifters recalled after a few thousand miles; you could hear the thing rattling like crazy.

German cars aren't better; they're just more expensive and overly complex. Of all the japanese and german cars my family has owned (toyota, lexus, vw, audi); the japanese cars NEVER had any issues; while the german ones ALWAYS had at least one major issue (3 new transmissions to replace a defective one in an '03 VW passat!, 3!)

German cars are highly overrated. I've driven plenty (including some very fast ones) and I typically came away unimpressed.

my dad's '07 audi s4 had about 4-5 different electric systems (power windows, swiveling power headlights, etc) crap out on him.

His '10 bmw 528i had all the valve lifters recalled after a few thousand miles; you could hear the thing rattling like crazy.

German cars aren't better; they're just more expensive and overly complex. Of all the japanese and german cars my family has owned (toyota, lexus, vw, audi); the japanese cars never had any issues; while the german ones always had at least one major issue (3 new transmissions to replace a defective one in an '03 vw passat!, 3!)

german cars are highly overrated. I've driven plenty (including some very fast ones) and i typically came away unimpressed.

^^^ +1

Archived