LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs. Mediocrity

WraithAkaMrak

http://www.subaru.com/content/static/fightmediocrity/images/overview/img_main_overview.jpg

Subaru's new Mediocrity mini-site (linked from the Legacy model page) intends to portray the contrast between the standard beige midsize (from imaginary make Mediocrity Motors) and the 2011 Legacy.

Put simply, the 2011 Mediocrity is spectacularly ordinary. Perhaps that’s why Conventional Car Tribune called its handling “wonderfully conservative.” Car & Rider Magazine added, “It gets you from A to B without ruffling any feathers at all.” The Auto Montage Gazette crowned Mediocrity “Most Mainstream in its class.” Drive one today and see why the experts agree, “If you’ve seen this mid-size sedan, you’ve pretty much seen them all."

(Though I don't know what kind of FWD, NA 4-cylinder midsize gets 18/24 mpg.)

Seeing a lot of previous-gen Malibu in the Mediocrity.

http://a137.g.akamai.net/f/137/3538/120m/imageonthefly.cars.com/images/?IMG=CAB60CHC111A0101.jpg

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that is what they've done with the 2010 Legacy. They made it a MEDIOCRE MACHINE. I've been driving the 2010 Legacy 2.5 i with CVT and that car is plasticky inside; the trunk opens partially and even when opened fully (with force) i will bang my head against it trying to put something inside. That is if my eyes can move away from the hideous hinges. The trunk closes with an indecisive thump; the doors do the same. The car's only strong point is the fuel economy. It cannot be thrown around corners; highway access ramps are 10-15 mph slower... the body roll is horrible. And then you realize that regardless of what it says on it, it is only a Camry with all-wheel-drive.

And no...I would not trade my old, stock, 80,000 mile-driven LGT for a new 2010 Legacy. It would be going backwards.

And that is what they've done with the 2010 Legacy. They made it a MEDIOCRE MACHINE. I've been driving the 2010 Legacy 2.5 i with CVT and that car is plasticky inside; the trunk opens partially and even when opened fully (with force) i will bang my head against it trying to put something inside. That is if my eyes can move away from the hideous hinges. The trunk closes with an indecisive thump; the doors do the same. The car's only strong point is the fuel economy. It cannot be thrown around corners; highway access ramps are 10-15 mph slower... the body roll is horrible. And then you realize that regardless of what it says on it, it is only a Camry with all-wheel-drive.

And no...I would not trade my old, stock, 80,000 mile-driven LGT for a new 2010 Legacy. It would be going backwards.

Did you really just compare handling of a 2.5i to a GT?

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

isn't your GT modded? and the 2010 has gas struts in the trunk... the 2005-2007 had hinges. There's a huge difference in the sound of the doors closing (windows up or down) between the BL and the BM. And sorry, the driving dynamics of a Camry are nowhere near that of even a 2.5i Legacy. Troll harder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://i51.tinypic.com/hvo2o8.jpg

Look, another 4th gen owner coming in flooding the site with his tears like Katrina flooded Louisiana.

Get over it, you're not obligated to buy it. Your car is a giant, ugly turd to the 3rd gen owners and the 3rd gen is a giant, ugly turd to the 2nd gen owners and the 2nd gen is a giant, ugly turd to the 1st gen owners.

Dry your eyes and enjoy what you have, hoss.

isn't your GT modded? and the 2010 has gas struts in the trunk... the 2005-2007 had hinges. There's a huge difference in the sound of the doors closing (windows up or down) between the BL and the BM. And sorry, the driving dynamics of a Camry are nowhere near that of even a 2.5i Legacy. Troll harder.

Go pass a kidney stone.

Look, another 4th gen owner coming in flooding the site with his tears like Katrina flooded Louisiana.

Get over it, you're not obligated to buy it. Your car is a giant, ugly turd to the 3rd gen owners and the 3rd gen is a giant, ugly turd to the 2nd gen owners and the 2nd gen is a giant, ugly turd to the 1st gen owners.

Dry your eyes and enjoy what you have, hoss.

You came to this site almost 5 years after I got here - just as an observation.

Go fold your mirrors on your awd Camry. It's not a car I would want. Been driving the 2010 Legacy / Outback for more than a month now (includes a Denver rental of 2 weeks last summer) and 2 weeks already in the Legacy. Not something I would own.

http://i53.tinypic.com/bhhssk.jpg

You don't like it, we get it. You don't need to compare a '10 2.5i to an older GT. Just the same as no one here will compare an older GT to a proper car like a Mazdaspeed6 http://i52.tinypic.com/24cbgxw.gif

Every single thread is like this, 4th gen owners coming up all pissed off that some car they probably wouldn't own is different than their expectations. Like I said, 3rd/2nd/1st gens all think yours is huge, ugly, looks like a Camry.

Comparing the 2.5i to the GT isn't a fair comparison, but the website is comparing the 2.5i to the Camry saying that it's significantly better, which considering the changes that they have made, seems that they've only tried to copy it (outside of AWD and better handling)

The Mazdaspeed6 sucks.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Only because Mazda didn't market it, didn't have the car set up from the get go to run on 91 and the '06s had funky clutches. Dynamite braking and steering, one of the more satisfying cars to throw around. It's a bit porky and there's faster cars out there but none satisfy the same way.

The AWD system is rubbish in those things! I test drove one, considering buying it. I couldn't wait to stop driving it. The MS3 was a fantastically fun car. The MS6 missed the mark.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Unlike the load of you, I have also driven a 2005 2.5i Legacy and a 2004 Forester made for the European market (in 2007 trip back to my native country) several 05-09 Legacy 2.5i (last year for two weeks in Colorado comes immediately to mind) several Tribeca; Forester (I have an 09 Forester 2.5i; also in 2008 trip to Mammoth Cave that model year Fozzie); Ouback (Colorado this past May for 1 week comes directly to mind) and Imprezas...of all engine builds. Can post pictures too... My mistake was stating why my loaner car does not compare to my GT. Fact is, it does not compare well to its direct counterpart in the previous gen.

i congratulate you for being enamored with your 2010 car. But in terms of quality build - the plasticky interior does it for me. Ah, compared to the Euro cars, even the 2.5i Legacy, the American 05-09 GTs are plasticky. The ride quality suffers compared to the 2.5i driven in Colorado and the European 2.5i. Simply said, it is less agile, the seats side-support is non-existent; the trunk's lid mechanism is an eye sore which does not function properly at least on my loaner (and not sure how much usage of the trunk space a loaner gets). And as far as the CVT is concerned, it is great for fuel economy but it has no meaningless acceleration. My 09 Fozzie 5MT is faster and more agile around corners. And how much cornering did I do in Colorado with that white Legacy. Well considering that I climbed a few times above 14,000 feet, I'd say I drove it about 2 and a half times around corners. Same places visited with the CVT 2.5i 2010 Outback.

474336847_DSCF3014(Large).thumb.JPG.500d21ff1dd09be4118d53680b16d8ec.JPG

610074371_P1010586(Large).thumb.JPG.9c8e06fc97cb1c9f2e9899f4bac3e080.JPG

1391765056_DSCF5807(Large).thumb.JPG.517d9feb17a5996396e7c6068502b9a5.JPG

As for the CVT models with AWD...This past may I went to this conference in denver. I arrived a few days early, rented the above pictured outback and proceeded to Aspen. The stupid GPS took me over Independence Pass - which was still closed and I did not know that. As the road narrowed and the sun went away and the road became desolate of other motorists, I knew something's amiss. I arrived to this gate that blocked the road. No phone signal. Luckily there was a gravel road about 50 feet behind the gate and you could see it merging with the asphalt road after the gate. I tried going off-road in my 2010 ouback - taken in Denver with 910 miles. I drove maybe 100 feet on the gravel road, then started to climb slightly and there were some bumps in the road, a small ditch etc. The Outback's tranny whined and made this curious noise...I decided to turn back and head back to civilisation. Not a good way to be stranded in the middle of nowhere (Twin Lakes ?) with no vehicle traffic on a mountain road. i've done more off-roading in my GT and ground clearance aside, never had an issue with gravel and uphill.

Later I picked up phone signal and was informed by the aspen hotel that GPS wanted me to cross independence Pass which was still closed. i drove another 90 miles...even if I was at some point 18 miles away from aspen. on the wrong side of the mountain.

Unlike the load of you, I have also driven a 2005 2.5i Legacy and a 2004 Forester made for the European market (in 2007 trip back to my native country) several 05-09 Legacy 2.5i (last year for two weeks in Colorado comes immediately to mind) several Tribeca; Forester (I have an 09 Forester 2.5i; also in 2008 trip to Mammoth Cave that model year Fozzie); Ouback (Colorado this past May for 1 week comes directly to mind) and Imprezas...of all engine builds. Can post pictures too... My mistake was stating why my loaner car does not compare to my GT. Fact is, it does not compare well to its direct counterpart in the previous gen.

i congratulate you for being enamored with your 2010 car. But in terms of quality build - the plasticky interior does it for me. Ah, compared to the Euro cars, even the 2.5i Legacy, the American 05-09 GTs are plasticky. The ride quality suffers compared to the 2.5i driven in Colorado and the European 2.5i. Simply said, it is less agile, the seats side-support is non-existent; the trunk's lid mechanism is an eye sore which does not function properly at least on my loaner (and not sure how much usage of the trunk space a loaner gets). And as far as the CVT is concerned, it is great for fuel economy but it has no meaningless acceleration. My 09 Fozzie 5MT is faster and more agile around corners. And how much cornering did I do in Colorado with that white Legacy. Well considering that I climbed a few times above 14,000 feet, I'd say I drove it about 2 and a half times around corners. Same places visited with the CVT 2.5i 2010 Outback.

what a load of bull. My mom had a 2005 2.5i Limited 5MT... and the 2010 2.5i blows that sucker out of the water in handling dynamics. Every plastic in the previous gen is cheaper than that in the 2010 except for the soft touch dash. The very first thing I remembered when I sat in a 2005 for the first time after seeing it in pictures for a year was that it was not as nice as the pictures lead on. The center console and the wood trim to the side looked a LOT cheaper than it did in the pictures.

On the GT... if you cut the steering wheel... it goes where you track it. It doesn't push wide or slide like the previous gen... That can be a function of stickier rubber; however, it doesn't roll nearly as much as the previous gen.

And your story regarding the navigation system. I'm not a fan of the factory nav system, but that sort of thing happens in factory nav systems and handhelds alike. I don't know how many stories i've read of people driving into rivers or into fences, or whatever it may be from following the navigation. Plan your route ahead, and let the navigation facilitate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

wow... still arguing about this?

It's not like Subaru can go back, I made my arguments way back when;)

I'll I can say now as an owner of the last two generations of Legacies and having spend some serious time in a 2010 2.5i and LGT, is that the current generation does not interest me at all over what I currently drive. I'd be more detailed in my explanation but I'll say most of my fears were confirmed and no point rehasing old flame wars.

If I had to stay with Subaru, I'd get an STI which is pretty much a bl/bp Legacy anyways:lol:.

As for the CVT models with AWD...This past may I went to this conference in denver. I arrived a few days early, rented the above pictured outback and proceeded to Aspen. The stupid GPS took me over Independence Pass - which was still closed and I did not know that. As the road narrowed and the sun went away and the road became desolate of other motorists, I knew something's amiss. I arrived to this gate that blocked the road. No phone signal. Luckily there was a gravel road about 50 feet behind the gate and you could see it merging with the asphalt road after the gate. I tried going off-road in my 2010 ouback - taken in Denver with 910 miles. I drove maybe 100 feet on the gravel road, then started to climb slightly and there were some bumps in the road, a small ditch etc. The Outback's tranny whined and made this curious noise...I decided to turn back and head back to civilisation. Not a good way to be stranded in the middle of nowhere (Twin Lakes ?) with no vehicle traffic on a mountain road. i've done more off-roading in my GT and ground clearance aside, never had an issue with gravel and uphill.

Later I picked up phone signal and was informed by the aspen hotel that GPS wanted me to cross independence Pass which was still closed. i drove another 90 miles...even if I was at some point 18 miles away from aspen. on the wrong side of the mountain.

Are you blaming the car because you didn't do your homework before the trip and look at a damn map? I travel for work at least two weeks a month, if not every week lately (last week was my first full in-office week since June or July) and every trip if there is any sort of an extended drive I compare the GPS route against Google Maps because I know the software in the GPS is borderline useless. If I were to trust it's road choices my trips would take twice as long in some cases. As for the noise, it could've been traction control or stability control activating, who knows. At least you turned back unlike the idiots that made the papers last winter for blindly following the GPS onto a Forrest Service road and getting stuck in a snow drift....

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

You don't like it, we get it. You don't need to compare a '10 2.5i to an older GT.

But when Subaru puts out a mediocre product and then does this, it is kind of ironic!

The new Legacy certainly lost some features - that's an indisputable fact - and I think that made the car worse. Cheaper manual transmission, no automatic available on the GT, no electroluminescent gauges on the GT, no limited slip differential, no SI drive, and a bunch of other stuff on the GT in particular. Folding mirrors were eliminated on the North American version (and brought back for 2011). Dual exhaust was eliminated on the non-GT models. They got rid of the temp gauge on the dash, no more body side mouldings....man, I can't remember everything, but lots of little stuff that overall brings the car down.

The Legacy is marginally better in terms of interior room, but I think they designed the car around the Outback, trying to make it into a full fledged SUV, and then when they tried to derive a sedan from that it ended up looking awful. The overly tall, round roofline, the angular, slab sided look, the stupid exaggerated wheel well arches, the awkward bugeye headlights...I think the Legacy is now one of the uglier cars out there. In any case, it's certainly more generic and not sporty looking at all, imo. It's more of an old person's car now.

I think even the wheel arches are a sign of cost cutting, as the Outback version used to have that separate plastic trim there. Someone at Subaru said, hey, we can save money by just molding the fenders that way and eliminating the separate trim, but that means even the non-Outback Legacy is stuck with the ugly truck-like fender flares.

Archived