LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

the idea to get away from expensive engines!

Auroras are cheap as hell, especially if you are willing to go to "the hood". I think most have already bitten the dust. Demand is so low that you almost can't give them away.

Actually, it's huge. DOHC V-engines take up a LOT of space. Cam-in-block OHV motors like the GM LS series are actually very compact, and it's why you find them swapped into all manner of rides. The turbo V6 OP is using is rather compact also, as I do believe its OHV as well.

I have a pic somewhere of a 5.0L OHV and 4.6L DOHC Mustang motors side by side - the difference is shocking.

I just threw the idea out there...didn't realize. But I know what you are getting at....I do know that there are V8s that are rather compact. Seen some swapped into hot rods and british sports cars like my Spitfire which came with 1.1L engines.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM V6's are slow... LOL

Mine only did a 13.074@106 two weeks ago in Chicago. Un-dynoed 100 shot so I'm not really sure what the true HP gain is quite yet. There are other things done to it as well though.

your what ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 2 weeks later...
The GM 3.8 is an amazing motor. If you need a gen III M90 I'm parting out my car. I've also got a gen V IC core, headers, volt booster, tb heat shield and lots of other stuff. I blew the 4t65ehd out of my 98 GTP and am sicking of replacing that terrible transmission so bought my LGT.

You're either an engineering mastermind or someone pulling our legs..

What's the height of the 3.8 V6 with intake manifold and all? I just don't see how that's going to fit under the Subie hood without some giant cowl or crazy modification to the crossmember, the H4 is so flat and short...

Then what about the motor mounts? With the EJ255 they're insanely simple, but how is that going to work with the V6 motor?

Not to mention how it will mess with the handling of the car, the Subie motor has a pretty low center of gravity...

Subscribed for the fun of it, but I won't believe anything until I see pics... :)

The GM 3.8 is an amazing motor. If you need a gen III M90 I'm parting out my car. I've also got a gen V IC core, headers, volt booster, tb heat shield and lots of other stuff. I blew the 4t65ehd out of my 98 GTP and am sicking of replacing that terrible transmission so bought my LGT.

never had a problem with my non HD 4t65 handeling way more power.

um motor mounts ? i'm mostlikely going to use bale wire and plywood.

the height of the 3.8 is like 11" from crank shaft center.

pics to come sory i have jsut been insanely busy with work.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

^^^ What does it run without the N20?

Back when I built the car I got it to run a 13.996@98 and constant 14.000's N/A... Then I upgraded the brakes from 10" tiny lightweight suckers to some 12" F-body brakes. Those killed my time by about 6 tenths. So I decided to downgrade the brake upgrade to 11" n-body equipment and then I ran it this year on the N2O. I also put my 3.1k stall converter in, so that might help counteract some of the brakes since I only had a 2k stall before I haven't run it in it's current config n/a yet since really it's not built to run well that way, First off the motor has 9:1 compression, vs 9.8:1 if I was running the full 3500 engine (that's one reason why I went 3400 bottom end, I could drop compression just a bit without getting pistons) And The camshaft I have is really a Boost cam... Its not configured for n/a and then just spray on top, I had Ben at WOT-Tech do some testing to find a good profile for nitrous use. Granted this was back in 08 that he came up with this cam but it still works good for now. I'll upgrade sometime but I don't have the cash.

I will be going to a central PA meet this Sept and I may take it down the strip during the test/tune and try to get a few n/a runs on it just to see if I gained back some of my ET with the smaller brakes. BUT the other advantage I had was tire size. When I ran my 13.9 that was on a set of 215/45/17 street tires that were quite worn... and my other runs were on a set of 225/45/17 drag radials. They are only about 1/2" taller, but going from a 215 section width to a 225, the tire does gain some extra weight that is a bitch to get moving. I want to get a set of 15" rims and then get a set of 225/50/15 tires. That will get me a 1" shorter tire for better acceleration.

Sorry for the OT. But good luck with the 3800 and I agree, I'm pushing all this power through a 4t60e right now... not even a 65e. So if built right these transmissions can handle the power, typical parts that blow up are the Reverse shell, and differential. Get rid of the open diff and that solves that issue, and get a hardened shell and your good to go. Just keep an eye on the teeth of the 2nd drum... I think that unit should be sent out for hardening since that seems to wear now over the shell. I'm also using a Raybestos Stage 1 clutch kit in mine. There are more HD options for the 65e though.

• 2 weeks later...