LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

I have a Dr's appt on Friday to help figure out why my right calf still hurts.

Cliff notes:

Pushed to run faster, calf strain.

Let it rest for 10 days, mild easy run... calf strain

Let it rest for 7 days, mild stretching routine, calf strain.

Three days later...so so, but the strain is still kinda there.

Dr. appt in two days.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at this point I'd be seeing a therapist. or a deep tissue massage therapist. what kind of doctor are you seeing? please tell me not a general practitioner
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Any advice how long to let it rest? The weather has been so nice out, it's been killing me that I can't even go for an easy run.

Until it feels better, and then slowly and gradually ease back into things. I'm guessing that your doctor will recommend physical therapy, which sounds like a good idea

Any advice how long to let it rest? The weather has been so nice out, it's been killing me that I can't even go for an easy run.

at this point to though....I'd be wondering if it's something worse than a strain. if you've rested it as long as you have and it's not getting better. maybe a mild tear? speculation.....

I'd ditch the running and switch to a bike for now. and go see an ortho.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yeah good point.

at this point to though....I'd be wondering if it's something worse than a strain. if you've rested it as long as you have and it's not getting better. maybe a mild tear? speculation.....

I'd ditch the running and switch to a bike for now. and go see an ortho.

It feels more deeper than my calf muscle. I was going to see my regular Dr first. Bad idea?

It feels more deeper than my calf muscle. I was going to see my regular Dr first. Bad idea?

I don't see a point in going to your regular doc. he's not going to be able to do anything about it. He's used to treating colds and sick people. as jasejase said, go right to the ortho...unless you need a referral from your doc. if you do, don't let him treat it. tell him you want the referral. don't let him throw meds at you.

go see the right dr. skip the GP.

I don't see a point in going to your regular doc. he's not going to be able to do anything about it. He's used to treating colds and sick people. as jasejase said, go right to the ortho...unless you need a referral from your doc. if you do, don't let him treat it. tell him you want the referral. don't let him throw meds at you.

Thanks, that is pretty much what my gut said... I cancelled my GP and set an appt to see an orthopedic/ sport med Dr. next Friday.

I think my issue is more than just muscle related. Which sucks b/c that means I'm just getting old....meh.

Thanks for all the advice.

What kind of cardio is out that the will be the easiest on my leg? I have an elliptical at home.

does it feel muscular? or shin splint? if it's muscular, ace bandage it up to give the muscle support and take it for a test ride on the elliptical. if it hurts, don't do it.

swimming is the least impact thing you could do though.

agreed on the swimming. Many times (pending your body and gait), the elliptical isn't good for you either. The elliptical forces me into a very unnatural gait, which adds insult to whatever injury im trying to work around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

After being out of the game since January of '13 and facing up to the fact that it was no longer practical for the wife and I to go to the gym together on the schedule required for our programming, we ponied up and bought a home gym. Just finished placing the order for a Rogue S-2 squat rack with pull-up and dip bars, a Rogue B&R bar w/ a full set of Rogue olympic iron plates, on-rack plate storage, a flat bench, and some chalk.

I have some free space in the basement and some thick rubber mats to put down. It's going to be a tight fit for the squat rack so I will need to bias it in between joists (92" tall which is exactly the height to the joists). Fortunately the height of the pull up bar is adjustable so I should be able to use that, but I'll have to do my overhead press from the seated position because at 6' tall I will hit the ceiling with the bar.

Anyways, I know it's worthless without pics so I'll post some as soon as it's set up. Just really excited to get back into the routine!

Archived