LegacyGT.com

Bought this header on eBay-Thoughts?

m sprank

I finally got around to installing my m2 equal length header and uppipe today

The header wouldn't line up with the studs. I first tried chamfering the bolt holes, which helped a bit but one of the studs on the passenger side was still ~1/8" off so I cut a slot with the angle grinder and it went on fine.

The uppipe comes with new studs. The rear two by the turbo exhaust need to be cut down to mount the downpipe. I used the stock stud height for reference. No big deal

Those two points were fine. I was pretty happy with how little work it required at that point. The kicker was that the manifold and up pipe didn't meet up. They were about a quarter inch too far apart and from the bolt holes lining up. I was able to make them meet with some metal and mettle but it has me concerned. The pipes are kinda torqued now, it might accelerate cracking.

I haven't taken it out yet, but am excited to. Just worried about the tension on the welds.

I started and idled it in the garage with no leaks. I reused the stock gaskets except for between the manifold and the uppipe where I used both the old stock one and the new one they provided to try and eat some of the gap. The gaskets they provided wouldn't slip onto my manifold studs as they were

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80769&stc=1&d=1266979672

Also

I had to drill out/grind off a few of the heat shield bolts to get the stock manifolds off. If you live where it snows make sure you can address that. I used the header to uppipe connection to mount my grounding strap, as shown above

I figured out why mine was leaking at that joint in the pic. Mine did'nt line up there eather, we had to force it together too. I took it apart yesterday, and the gasket that came with the kit was the full size of the uppipe/manifold flange. So it was pushing the uppipe down. If you used 2 gaskets there it will really throw you off. So I trimmed the gasket like the factory one. Went back together awsome, lined up perfict no leakes at all. Keep the one bolt loose for the mount were it bolts to the downpipe, untill its tight to the header. Hope this helps, took me 5 hr. by myself but it was worth it to make it right!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AMK Project raceing. part no. JB-HD-017 Made in China of course. Shipped from Indianapolis. I'm sure it's a knockoff of another brand. I found a few on ebay that were different companys, same seller phone number. This one looked the cleanest and the welds are really nice. It's on the the car now for a week, runs much smoother except at idle, it needs a tune now. I hope it lasts for awhile, I saved all the stock parts if something would happen.

Looks good. They are all knock offs 99% coming from the same factory with different branding. I paid $130 for two sets of headers and an uppipe. For the money, F it. If they fit, go for it. When they crack, just throw on another set.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, the equal length header melted a big hole through my oil filter panel in the skid tray. It actually hangs just under the skid tray. I'm going to have to put wrap on it there so it doesn't get hit with cold water. Figured out what the smell was!

How about a link to that AMK set? I can't find them in the sea of Subaru headers on ebay.

I'm interested simply because of the price. If I can get one that lets me use my existing up pipe it'll only take a few minutes to install.

I haven't seen the stock UP in 5 years! There's nothing stock left in my exhaust already but I'm interested in these vs. the Grimmspeed ported setup I have now. Since I can easily bolt this in place without removing the UP from the turbo, I should be in good shape.

Removing my turbo requires removing the intake manifold too, making it a HUGE job compared to the usual UP/DP install. This way I can do it with a few bolts that are all easy to reach.

I probably won't get to try it till later this summer.

• 8 months later...

The M2's I installed in LosAngelesLGT's car ar doing fine. He has the UEL and the M2 uppipe.

The EL set and M2 uppipe combo are in my dad's 2002 WRX. They too are doing fine.

There are a million different cheap headers on eBay. I have a suspicion most come from the same factory.

Literally a year ago. I found this thread when searching on fixing the STi Up death rattle. A UP pipe cost about the same as your full out eBay experiment so I figure I would check in...coincidentally a year later.

Archived