LegacyGT.com

Bought this header on eBay-Thoughts?

m sprank

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The uppipe fit fine with no leaks (I used all new OEM gaskets for the testing). Did not notice any great change in spool, but it is much louder than stock or my Cobb. Important thing is it fit and did not "whistle".

Hey m sprank,

First, thanks a bunch for being the guinea pig here! I've been eying these parts for a while. I've gone ahead and ordered now both the equal length header *and* the up pipe, hearing that they fit well.

You said the uppipe is much louder. I'm hoping that I will still sound stock, having still the original turbo-back exhaust. What do you think? Also, to the club at large, does this warrant a stage2 tune or still stage one?

All together it cost me $140 shipped (!!!)

The uppipe lets you hear the turbo spool more. Not sure anyone else on the road can hear it except you.

With no DP its not a stage 2 tune. But you are removing a cat in the uppipe, and the EL headers need a tune to take full advantage. So, I would recommend a tune. I would recommend a $15 VAG-COM cable and a tune from Infamous1.

Thanks for the advice!

Did you use any gasket sealant? Did you use the gaskets they provided? Any leaks?

I've done some race car dyno tuning with a motec ems, I'm very happy to see we can tune our cars with the open source software. I already have an OBD-II to computer cable, I have to figure out if it's compatible

I used OEM gaskets (new). I always do. If the OEM (new) leaks I would add the supplied gasket with the OEM. Just dont expect a used gasket to work. They might, but you should never re-use gaskets.

Your cable will need a driver. The opensource software supports certain drivers. The VAG-COM cable is a sure bet. You can get them for $15. Better to use what is known and supported (especially for $15) then to waste time figuring something else out.

Check out romraider.com.

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to finally get off my ass and install my new ebay header today, unfortunately it didn't go so well.

186615579_Picture2093.thumb.jpg.b6c4854efc2d823573d05fa3af7bccaa.jpg

I found loose molten welding material attached to the collector. I'm thinking not a big deal I'll just dremmel it out.

1646210925_Picture2095.thumb.jpg.d1fe7111ea1a6c6dd07fb7bf1b1f800d.jpg

Then I find this, a giant flipping crack on one of the pipes.

Oh well, when I read this thread I knew this would be a gamble. I guess I lost. :icon_sad:

That sucks.

Don't you wish you could get a set of Full Race headers with that trick twin scroll to single scroll uppipe? I know I do. They are even on "sale" for $1500 right now.

Sorry to hear that your eBay experiment went bad. Of my two headers, only 1 fit. Funny I found another member who has used the same header for 2 years now with no issues. I think you drew the short straw.

I would love to buy one of those really nice racing headers, but after my recent IPT rebuild I can't let myself spend the money. :) You said it right though, it was definitely an ebay experiment. I guess my cheap ebay habits have caught up with me.

I took my damaged header to my cousins yesterday and he seemed to think it could be saved.

IM000326.thumb.jpg.dae8c2c17b1e63ae8cedc15484bfd844.jpg

I'm not sure how long it will last, and I probably won't install it until my next oil change when I install my KillerB oil pickup.

Worth a shot, no?

Just save the stock manifolds and your fine. Save up for those Full Race Headers. With the new Invidia set up retailing for $1400 the FR set up looks like a better deal all the time. I think they even have a lifetime warranty against cracking.

Due to my undying love of Legacys and my devotion to the forum I went ahead and modified the UELH to fit. All it took was some grinding off of the lock tabs and removing about 1/2 inch from the longest pipe (top pipe in the pics). I need to grab two exhaust clamps to make sure the slip fit does not leak.

At this point I need to retract my previous comment of FAILed install and say that if you are willing to work with the grinder for a bit this UELH for <$50 might be a deal.

I was contacted by another member to help with the install of his stage 2 set up. Figured maybe I could slip this on his car at the same time. He probably wont complain.

Here are pics of the header fit to my oem manifold (used it for mock up).

382527669_Uelh001.thumb.jpg.e5eb1fa88801d823c19901478646054d.jpg

659830182_Uelh002.thumb.jpg.478890ed413c8f3a50c2b380163b13b6.jpg

1349117125_Uelh003.thumb.jpg.9310a3b8f6097f4693110b6c81f8202d.jpg

800533223_Uelh004.thumb.jpg.5b61f8674b11b71ba0bf46aa5a2ca860.jpg

Thanks.

I was kinda stoked with the outcome. Not sure I even need the clamps. There really is no difference once the pipes are mounted to the block. But, being ocd as I am, I will grab two just in case.

Hopefully I can install them on an 07 LGT 5MT tomorrow.

Going to help install an up pipe and down pipe on the car, so the UELH seems like a no brainer. Trying to squeeze in clearing the headlights and dialing in a tune I have for it too. Gonna be a long day, but should net some nice power gains since the car is now stock.

Yes. The top pipe in the pix. The one where the slip joint is farther to the left. I had to remove about 1/2".

First the flanges were too far apart. I had to remove the lock tab on the "male" side of the slip joints. This way the pipes could seat further into the joint.

Now the flanges were about 1/2" from meeting. But, at a funky angle that would not line up. I removed about 1/2" from the one pipe. This one seemed too long in comparison to the other pipe. It was the only one bottoming out in the slip joint. So, I cut just that tube. Now the header fits. Needs a little muscle to get on, kinda of a twist actually. But, it does fit. No worse than many "major" manufacturers.

Since the slip joint locks only really hold the pipes in place until it is torqued onto the block, it might not be a huge issue. But just in case I am adding some clamps, seems like the right thing to do.

Now I just hope the collector lines up with the uppipe, lol.

Got them on the car. It was an 05 LGT.

Installed M2 uppipe, M2 UELH, ERZ downpipe, stage 2 tune, and cleared the headlights yesterday.

GMS cbe shows up today.

Might be a slight leak at the collector to upipipe. I would have liked to be able to double up the gasket, or loosen the turbo and adjust a little (but I was in a rush with all the work to do). It might not be leaking, logs looked good.

does the rumble sound the same as before?

Not on my car. If you search I even put a video up of this header on my car and there were comments on it losing the rumble.

I'm actually surprised that m sprank said that he still hears a rumble.

Archived