LegacyGT.com

Bought this header on eBay-Thoughts?

m sprank

California, Nevada, Arizona-we all get screwed on the gas. But, Cali gets it the worst. At least there is still 93 and 100 available legally. We have to buy it at the yard in our own containers and fill up off site. Sucks when you only have one 5 gallon can and have to go around the corner and back 3 times to fill up before going to the races.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to install my EL header last night after installing my KillerB oil pickup, and unfortunately couldn't get it to fit. The exhaust flanges where about a quarter inch off.

So after fixing the cracked header and going through the trouble of wrapping it, I finally gave up and threw it in the trash. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

California, Nevada, Arizona-we all get screwed on the gas. But, Cali gets it the worst. At least there is still 93 and 100 available legally. We have to buy it at the yard in our own containers and fill up off site. Sucks when you only have one 5 gallon can and have to go around the corner and back 3 times to fill up before going to the races.

We had this till end of last year...

IMG_0946.thumb.jpg.7eb77c43937426fc3f1f7b2f6c3e61c8.jpg

I tried to install my EL header last night after installing my KillerB oil pickup, and unfortunately couldn't get it to fit. The exhaust flanges where about a quarter inch off.

So after fixing the cracked header and going through the trouble of wrapping it, I finally gave up and threw it in the trash. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

That sucks! :mad: Mine fit fine. How the heck do they mess that up? Fixture doesn't move. I wonder if welding on it warped a pipe slightly? Something got heated and moved after the thing left the fixture. Maybe they "repaired" it at the factory. Hmmm...

I would demand a refund. :rolleyes:

We had this till end of last year...

For some reason ONLY Shell stations here around Boise have 93, which is great, but I keep waiting for it to disappear. Pretty much all other stations have 87/89/91. For awhile 89 was the lowest octane at Shell, but now it's back to 87/89/93. Oh well, can't get too attached to it though as we're moving to AZ within the next year...

With these headers you CAN keep your spash/undertrim guard. (The header in this thread is on my car - pics are from my car). I have put the splashguard/undertrim on and off several times now (trying to fix a header to up leak :lol:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spec B #127 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

So are you able to keep your splash sheilds with these (or any) header?

m sprank: I think you missed my main question about the header. Thanks!

With these headers you CAN keep your spash/undertrim guard. (The header in this thread is on my car - pics are from my car). I have put the splashguard/undertrim on and off several times now (trying to fix a header to up leak :lol:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spec B #127 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

So are you able to keep your splash sheilds with these (or any) header?

m sprank: I think you missed my main question about the header. Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

Sorry. My bad. It clears the oil filter very nicely and there is plenty of room for the undertray/splash guard. It is not even going to melt it any it is so far away.

That darn leak is annoying though. I think we can tackle it this weekend and get it fixed. I was rushed during install (lots to do that day) and had a bad feeling about the collector to uppipe gasket. It did not leak that day, but sprung a leak very shortly after. I will let you all know if we can get it fixed without any more modifications.

That darn leak is annoying though. I think we can tackle it this weekend and get it fixed. I was rushed during install (lots to do that day) and had a bad feeling about the collector to uppipe gasket. It did not leak that day, but sprung a leak very shortly after. I will let you all know if we can get it fixed without any more modifications.

We are looking at this GS product and some loosening and wiggling to see if this takes care of it.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=142&osCsid=nk81vcqtp3bqlqa8g8l84aumh4

IMO, if a $20 gasket and sub $100 header will do the job, I am in :wub:. I do wonder what the header does for (or against) me at stage 2.

I have before pics and will definately take plenty of after pics to chronicle the fitment for any future questions.

We are looking at this GS product and some loosening and wiggling to see if this takes care of it.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=142&osCsid=nk81vcqtp3bqlqa8g8l84aumh4

IMO, if a $20 gasket and sub $100 header will do the job, I am in :wub:. I do wonder what the header does for (or against) me at stage 2.

I have before pics and will definately take plenty of after pics to chronicle the fitment for any future questions.

What about this? If I bite the bullet I might as well stop all my leaks. https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=141&osCsid=nk81vcqtp3bqlqa8g8l84aumh4

Seems to have worked. LALGT left my house a little while ago for the drive home.

I installed the new Grimmspeed gasket. Torqued to 85lbs. Started the car and saw condensation, let the pipes get hot. Re torqued to unknown spec (as tight as I could go). No more apparent leak.

Reset ECU (just installed new FMIC) and went for a drive. We pulled three logging runs. Hit target boost perfect each time. No noise of a leak. No knock. LV's are clean. Car puls WAY better. I think he is off to Infamous1 for a real tune next week. if he makes the hour and a half drive home without it leaking, its good.

Seems to have worked. LALGT left my house a little while ago for the drive home.

I installed the new Grimmspeed gasket. Torqued to 85lbs. Started the car and saw condensation, let the pipes get hot. Re torqued to unknown spec (as tight as I could go). No more apparent leak.

Reset ECU (just installed new FMIC) and went for a drive. We pulled three logging runs. Hit target boost perfect each time. No noise of a leak. No knock. LV's are clean. Car puls WAY better. I think he is off to Infamous1 for a real tune next week. if he makes the hour and a half drive home without it leaking, its good.

I will retorque it and post pics tomorrow but I am pretty sure I am good... If there is a leak it is teenty tiny and will suck up with another tightening. If there is a leak.

I finally got around to installing my m2 equal length header and uppipe today

The header wouldn't line up with the studs. I first tried chamfering the bolt holes, which helped a bit but one of the studs on the passenger side was still ~1/8" off so I cut a slot with the angle grinder and it went on fine.

The uppipe comes with new studs. The rear two by the turbo exhaust need to be cut down to mount the downpipe. I used the stock stud height for reference. No big deal

Those two points were fine. I was pretty happy with how little work it required at that point. The kicker was that the manifold and up pipe didn't meet up. They were about a quarter inch too far apart and from the bolt holes lining up. I was able to make them meet with some metal and mettle but it has me concerned. The pipes are kinda torqued now, it might accelerate cracking.

I haven't taken it out yet, but am excited to. Just worried about the tension on the welds.

I started and idled it in the garage with no leaks. I reused the stock gaskets except for between the manifold and the uppipe where I used both the old stock one and the new one they provided to try and eat some of the gap. The gaskets they provided wouldn't slip onto my manifold studs as they were

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80769&stc=1&d=1266979672

Also

I had to drill out/grind off a few of the heat shield bolts to get the stock manifolds off. If you live where it snows make sure you can address that. I used the header to uppipe connection to mount my grounding strap, as shown above

We ended up using a Grimmspeed 12 layer metal gasket. It fills that awful gap very nicely. It also sealed the leak. Maybe it is worth the investment. A $20 gasket for teh $50 headers. Worked on LALGT's car (the one I installed the EL headers on).

Archived