LegacyGT.com

Bought this header on eBay-Thoughts?

m sprank

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright. Headers are delivered and pics taken. I am crazy, but because the EL headers were $65 delivered, I went ahead and ordered a set of Un-EL headers too, lol. Both sets of headers delivered for $100.

This is what you can get for $100 on eBay (hope some are sitting down, cause I know your gonna be shocked).

First the Un-El headers

Pic #1 boxes on arrival

Pic #2 M2 Performance (huh?)

Pic #3 Both headers in their boxes

Pic #4 Down a flange

Pic #5 " " "

Pic #6 Down the collector

Pic #7,8,9 Header at angles

Pic #10 outside welds on collector

Notice the welds are clean. Also notice the inside of the pipes at flanges have been spot welded and ground down. Actually quite a bit of work involved. Much nicer than expected. Remember I paid approx $50 for each header (delivered).

I googled the part number from the box, TP-049, and came up with this site: http://part-numbers.globalspec.com/engineering-search/partnumbers/abstract/20b3d6a407480f6decddc5dc6a82219f

The above indicates that your part is made by M2 Performance. Here is their website:

http://www.m2performance.net/

Yup, already looked them up. Headers sell for $150 each on their site. Up pipe is like $90. I guess I scored if you look at that pricing, lol.

I also noticed from the shipping labels, all the boxes were direct shipped from M2 Performance. They are in So Cal (LA area). Not sure if it is drop shipped by M2 for the seller or if the seller is M2 in disguise?

Don't care too much. I don't work for them. I am just a forum member who was willing to shell out the $130 for two headers and an uppipe to try a test fit and share the info. Figured if it works I can easily get my money back or at least help others to score some cheap Shiny parts, lol.

Yup, already looked them up. Headers sell for $150 each on their site. Up pipe is like $90. I guess I scored if you look at that pricing, lol.

I also noticed from the shipping labels, all the boxes were direct shipped from M2 Performance. They are in So Cal (LA area). Not sure if it is drop shipped by M2 for the seller or if the seller is M2 in disguise?

Don't care too much. I don't work for them. I am just a forum member who was willing to shell out the $130 for two headers and an uppipe to try a test fit and share the info. Figured if it works I can easily get my money back or at least help others to score some cheap Shiny parts, lol.

I applaud you! It's not like the big named after-market manufactures have cornered the market on stainless steel and tig welding, so I'm glad you're giving these parts the chance! who knows....

Well? Has anything been installed? I want to buy all this stuff but waiting to see your results. I bought an uppipe from a guy on ebay for my '05. Needless to say it didn't even come close to fitting right. I did a little prying but gave up knowing I was only going to create more problems. Now I am a little gun shy. BTW, I salute you sir for this.

I am test fitting the "itsme" FMIC this morning. Once I am done helping Bryan (and my car cools down from the Friday LA traffic) I can start test fitting the various pipes. Sorry, no time this week had to wait for the weekend.

Taking a quick break. So far the uppipe fits fine. Using OEM gasket on up to turbo and up to headers. Not able to leak check yet as I need to install a set of headers still, lol.

Uppipe internal diameter is 2.25". Stock is approx 1.75". Most aftermarket pipes are in the 1.8-2.0" range. Not sure if this will create more lag or not. For larger turbos prob fine. Just noting the diameter. Much larger than stock or my Cobb uppipe.

So far looks like this $30 up pipe is a steal. The flanges are sitting flat so even if you need to double up gaskets to stop any leaks all should be good. I am impressed to say the least. Leak check coming.

Yes the uppipe is 2.25" at both ends. It is also tapped for an EGT sensor (but my car had none from the factory).

The fit test are all complete. It is raining pretty good today, so only light driving to check for leaks. No logged pulls or AirBoy sheets, sorry not safe today.

The uppipe fit fine with no leaks (I used all new OEM gaskets for the testing). Did not notice any great change in spool, but it is much louder than stock or my Cobb. Important thing is it fit and did not "whistle".

The UEL header did NOT fit. I think with some REAL gorilla work it might fit. Or you might **** up the studs or tapped holes in the block if you try. It was at least 1 inch off. I tried for a good 90 minutes to get it to fit. Every angle I could find. I had no help and was quite frustrated by the time I quit trying. Maybe a fresh set of eyes would have helped, but I doubt it.

The EL header fit like a champ. No leaks, decent sound, shiny. Was rather impressed by how easy it went on. Butt dino says deff. made a power difference. Not sure I like the lost boxer rumble.

In the end I give two thumbs up to the EL header and the uppipe. I sh*t on that ****ing UEL header. Anyone want a big paperwieght?

Pics of the EL header installed.

1642420266_fittest001.thumb.jpg.753f12093f4cda480e359e50c8748fa3.jpg

1344160945_fittest002.thumb.jpg.355da8ab85dc9cc23b0b2995042cf6d0.jpg

1503673267_fittest003.thumb.jpg.e8afefe2b74a65dd677fdedc4f06b3cf.jpg

594015022_fittest004.thumb.jpg.03c863b3a641d972cf6d9a6b85ed7beb.jpg

375031890_fittest005.thumb.jpg.41fbb4d283903329a08a61a5541931b6.jpg

802154492_fittest006.thumb.jpg.e5df834171f5ff2ecb29e5846d206348.jpg

1106283695_fittest007.thumb.jpg.9a66ee045a741d9d391aecab23496cd8.jpg

606834914_fittest008.thumb.jpg.df2cf51dfceef57bf1bb3bc32e579ced.jpg

1968179931_fittest009.thumb.jpg.524fe45a6e78ddbc3fba82e99c7698b1.jpg

1814643517_fittest010.thumb.jpg.05077cfff4ee1e57ea7917973905c903.jpg

ill take the UEL and try to see whats wrong.

I'm around LA all the time. In Irvine Monday morning. Disneyland (with the wife) on Tuesday. Downtown LA on Wed afternoon. Let me know if/when you are available and we can meet up.

After installing 2 different uppipes today (removed OEM, installed M2/removed, installed Cobb) and 3 different headers (removed OEM, installed EL/removed, attempted to install UEL, installed my Christmas present from wifey Perrin EL headers) I am beat. I was under the car for a good 8 hours today and my head/hands/back all are sore. Maybe a fresh set of eyes and hands can get that UEL to fit.

I'm just done for now.

I'm around LA all the time. In Irvine Monday morning. Disneyland (with the wife) on Tuesday. Downtown LA on Wed afternoon. Let me know if/when you are available and we can meet up.

After installing 2 different uppipes today (removed OEM, installed M2/removed, installed Cobb) and 3 different headers (removed OEM, installed EL/removed, attempted to install UEL, installed my Christmas present from wifey Perrin EL headers) I am beat. I was under the car for a good 8 hours today and my head/hands/back all are sore. Maybe a fresh set of eyes and hands can get that UEL to fit.

I'm just done for now.

My 05LGT MT and I live downtown. I am sure I can free myself up in the afternoon. Let me know and I will be there to help out. (Or if a venue is needed...)

Max

LosAngelesLGT

Now I'm tired and confused. I don't need them to fit on my car. Honestly, at this point I am done swapping headers on my car for a while. If someone local wants to give the UEL headers a try I can assist them or drop the headers off.

Ok, cfdrumr has first dibs on install round-2.

I will shoot you a PM with my numbers, that way we can try and meet up. If you need help with the install let me know.

Pretty straight forward. The alignment issue I had was with the exhaust port flanges. If you take a good mallet to the headers you might get them to bend enough (just don't do it while they are on the car).

I got the Perrins on fine after failing with the UEL headers, so I know I wasn't completely useless yet when I failed with the UEL's.

I know they were are a bargain for what you paid and I've been watching this thread to hear about the performance differences -- but this ELH vs a Perrin ELH -- it looks to me like the exhaust would be slamming into each other and then being forced out of a 90 degree bed. Not a whole lot unlike an UEL. The Perrin has a much nicer blend into the final pipe prior to the UP. You mentioned it sounds different though -- any chance of a recording? I'm running a stock turbo and probally will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Perhaps it doesn't make much of a difference at stage II power levels?

I'm pleased with my Perrin ELH and if/when it does crack I will probably go back to a PNP stock manifold (GrimmSpeed)

As lots of other people have mentioned though -- thanks for being the guinea pig :)

Pic of Perrin ELH here for reference.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/shared/images/products/209/94_large.jpg

Matt

Yes much different design then the Perrin. I am no Perrin fan, but the header might be the best one available. If the Perrin cracks I might throw back on the eBay (M2) ELH. Or I might get smart and send my stock set up off the Grimmspeed.

The M2 header is the same design as the Synic (check nasioc) and boostjunkie. Deff smoothed out the exhust note and seemed to give a litte better spool with more torque (this is totally unscientific).

I would imagine that the EL header is good for stage 2 set ups. (Thats what my car is currently).

Yes the Perrin is a higher quality part, but retails for 10 times what I paid for the M2 EL header. All I can say is for what I paid (and even the $80 regular eBay price) the EL headers and uppipe are a deal.

Archived