LegacyGT.com

2.5i Exhaust Question

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just scored a LGT MagnaFlow system Finally!!!! FOR CHEAP!!! cant wait until this thing arrives :)

Resonator? Who needs a resonator ive got a MagnaFlow one with the flange attached but I may use it along with my system to mellow the tone.

Remove cat to make it louder I will have to say DON'T DO EEEEIIITTTT :lol:

it wouldnt be much louder but it would stink like a catless LGT youll have to cover the tire well vents to keep the fumes out and that will cause your HVAC to start sucking:(

yes it stinks like hell with just a hi flow cat. cold start :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I just scored a LGT MagnaFlow system Finally!!!! FOR CHEAP!!! cant wait until this thing arrives :)

I've got my cxlighting exhaust at home and I'm wondering about the install. Have you installed your system yet? If not, do you know how you're going to mate the mid-pipe to your cat section? The OEM donut gasket is probably too small and I'm not sure about the bolts.

I won't put mine on til after winter I think but just trying to plan it out...

I've got my cxlighting exhaust at home and I'm wondering about the install. Have you installed your system yet? If not, do you know how you're going to mate the mid-pipe to your cat section? The OEM donut gasket is probably too small and I'm not sure about the bolts.

I won't put mine on til after winter I think but just trying to plan it out...

Mine came with a 2.5 to 3.0 adapter seeing as how the stock LGT mid pipe is the same as the 2.5i the magnaflow system need an adapter for teh guy that only run a CBE and not a TBE

Mine came with a 2.5 to 3.0 adapter seeing as how the stock LGT mid pipe is the same as the 2.5i the magnaflow system need an adapter for teh guy that only run a CBE and not a TBE

Does it look something like this? http://www.kakumei-motorsports.com/db/pictures/modules/CMS/CMS060207001/20081217524970555.jpg

I had custom work done using Magnaflow 14827s.

thanks for the part number.. damn 4" tip.. thats huge.. how do they sound? being magnaflow it should be deep not raspy, but with that 4inch tip im not sure, does it make it raspy?

what about the 14832's? looks like the tip is 3 inches shorter than the 14827's. i like the tip better on the 14832's (they are cheaper too) but not sure if i can make up the 3inches behind the muffler to push the tip out more. i like the stock tips they stick out nice. let me know what you guys think..

thanks for the part number.. damn 4" tip.. thats huge.. how do they sound? being magnaflow it should be deep not raspy, but with that 4inch tip im not sure, does it make it raspy?

what about the 14832's? looks like the tip is 3 inches shorter than the 14827's. i like the tip better on the 14832's (they are cheaper too) but not sure if i can make up the 3inches behind the muffler to push the tip out more. i like the stock tips they stick out nice. let me know what you guys think..

The 4" tip is just the tip, the core of the muffler is still 2.5" IIRC. Judge for yourself - its the resonator (or lack therof) that controls the rasp:

Stock, no resonator:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IM32Be4wQI]YouTube- Subaru Legacy 2.5i, stock mufflers no resonator[/ame]

Magnaflow 14827s, factory resonator re-installed (edit)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksr353DH27w]YouTube- 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with Magnaflows[/ame]

Borla replica header, Magnaflow 14827s, factory resonator

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCpnUm5mfc]YouTube- Subaru Legacy 2.5i with borla-replica headers and magnaflows[/ame]

yeah i know the core is still 2.25 but big tips usually make the muffler sound louder.. think of a megaphone, i know in stright exhust aplications biger tips make for a louder exhaust.

i like the sound of the magnaflows they sound nice (thanks for the clips), i noticed the first clip was louder (sound quality) than the second, and was very raspy, i take it putting the mufflers on took the raspyness away, just could not tell from the second clip..

also i took a look at the stock tips and it looks like they only stick out 3 inches from the muffler so im thinking the 14832'swill look good, i just dont want to burn the bumper if the tips arent going to stick out far enough

yeah i know the core is still 2.25 but big tips usually make the muffler sound louder.. think of a megaphone, i know in stright exhust aplications biger tips make for a louder exhaust.

i like the sound of the magnaflows they sound nice (thanks for the clips), i noticed the first clip was louder (sound quality) than the second, and was very raspy, i take it putting the mufflers on took the raspyness away, just could not tell from the second clip..

also i took a look at the stock tips and it looks like they only stick out 3 inches from the muffler so im thinking the 14832'swill look good, i just dont want to burn the bumper if the tips arent going to stick out far enough

Actually, core size specs out at 2.5" for both mufflers. 2.25" inlet size though.

14827 has single wall tip that will make it louder. The double wall tips do muffle the sound a bit more I think.

I will edit my previous post - the second clip does have the resonator back in. That's what took most of the raspiness away.

I think the tips on the 14832s will be too short. Not sure why they would be cheaper. I can't deciper the Magnaflow code: S-DW-R-S-S vs S-SWD-R-A-L

DW is double wall, SWD is single wall I think but not sure about the rest of it... but that could give you a clue as to the difference in cost.

Archived