LegacyGT.com

2.5i Exhaust Question

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
couple more questions, How much would this cost? Does this affect the warranty?

Not much at all when I had to get my borla reps fitted I did this myself but the exhaust guy at the shop I go to asked if they would fit b/c he said he has ran into problems while installing on Impreza's. Adding an exhaust doesn't void your warranty.

Actually, core size specs out at 2.5" for both mufflers. 2.25" inlet size though.

14827 has single wall tip that will make it louder. The double wall tips do muffle the sound a bit more I think.

I will edit my previous post - the second clip does have the resonator back in. That's what took most of the raspiness away.

I think the tips on the 14832s will be too short. Not sure why they would be cheaper. I can't deciper the Magnaflow code: S-DW-R-S-S vs S-SWD-R-A-L

DW is double wall, SWD is single wall I think but not sure about the rest of it... but that could give you a clue as to the difference in cost.

thanks for the replies you have been a huge help, thank you!

Not much at all when I had to get my borla reps fitted I did this myself but the exhaust guy at the shop I go to asked if they would fit b/c he said he has ran into problems while installing on Impreza's. Adding an exhaust doesn't void your warranty.

great thanks for all the info.

Adding an exhaust doesn't void your warranty.

This is a sort of 'depends' kind of thing. It will depend on your dealer and depend on what you are trying to get covered.

I've been fortunate that my local dealer has covered two O2 sensors under warranty even with a borla replica header. They can easily refuse to fix it though if they feel the failure is due to the header - which is quite plausible.

The dealer just needs to demonstrate a link between an aftermarket part and the failure. So, just keep it in mind. In general, it should not affect your warranty.

couple more questions, How much would this cost? Does this affect the warranty?

For my Legacy:

LGT MagnaFlow CBE $360 (used)

MagnaFlow Dual Boss Cat $60 (really good deal from a fellow owner;))

Borla Replica Header $100 (same as above)

O2 Extensions $0 did those myself (only had to do one I actually used the elusive snake it thru the engine bay trick for the front sensor)

MagnaFlow 6 inch Round Polished Resonator $30 (NEW eBay find go figure :eek:)

5 feet of 2.5" 321 Alumnized pipe $37 (used to make cat-pipe tp connect header to CBE)

2 x 2.5" O.D Flanges to mate to header and CBE $30

Total : $617

25' of Mild Steel 2.5" piping $180.00

MagnaFlow 94000 Series Dual Boss Cat $78.00

6 Hangers $6.00

2 x MagnaFlow Mufflers $249.84

2 x magnaflow Tips 4" x 2.25" $119.38

2.5" y pipe $26.83

Basic 18" Resonator $25 ( cherry Bomb :p)

Flanges $119.95 for SS 3/8" (you'll need two for cat pipe, mid pipe, both mufflers)

Labor to put all that together $80 x 4 hrs (minimums will be higher for urbanites :lol:) = $ 320

Total : $1125

Also remember if you can weld your own stuff you only looking at parts and if you find good deals like I have it only gets better. Also single exit make it a more simply fabrication job and using mild steel over 304, 321 or 409 even is cheaper but not as durable unless you coat it which can work.

In short a CBE is cost effective :)

This is a sort of 'depends' kind of thing. It will depend on your dealer and depend on what you are trying to get covered.

I've been fortunate that my local dealer has covered two O2 sensors under warranty even with a borla replica header. They can easily refuse to fix it though if they feel the failure is due to the header - which is quite plausible.

The dealer just needs to demonstrate a link between an aftermarket part and the failure. So, just keep it in mind. In general, it should not affect your warranty.

Yes i just didnt feel like explaining all that :lol: IF you put on a after market alxeback and your A/C compressor fails your warranty will not be voided unless somehow you damaged the compressor as a direct result or installing mufflers on the opposite end of the car.

Beware there are sinister, greedy, institutions that will try to lead you to believe you committed such an act but you know you did not, they are commonly known as "dealerships" :p

muahahaha :lol:

I even considered trying to sell my Perrin exhaust for some extra money, but I'm not sure yet.

Just scored a another set for my Impreza from a Local guy that swapped his 03 with a 02 WRX. Wow I think i now hold the record for most UEL owned buy a single non vendor at 5!:eek::lol:

We are going to see on you the news: GEE-OTTO goes to header rehab :lol:

Ill have them clutched in my arms looking deranged in a robe with the spotlights on me scream " Never youll never have them !!!"

Fortunately I only will have two in my possession those and yours. That one set I posted up a few months back that I ground down the driver side flange I sold to a guy in SOCAL one of the other sets I traded for that stock EL manifold and the last one of those headers I traded to a guy plus cash for my MagnaFlow CBE

One set is for the RS and the other ill keep in case the actual real 2.5i headers get derailed like the AVO turbo Kits :lol: but that isnt going to happen because the headers are in production ;)

Really? I wonder if it's the 3" that keeps it louder...

I'm just waiting for my donut gaskets to come in before I can mount mine. I'd like mine to be a bit louder than what I have now but there is such a thing as too loud, that's for sure.

I have the factory resonator in still but it's definitely longer than the CXLighting resonator and nowhere as big either - the CXLighting resonator is 3" straight through...

GEE OTTO, take a vid of it as it is now and then one after if/when you put the second resonator in.

Are you saying it's too loud in the car or too loud outside, or both? If it's just inside, you could do some soundproofing. I'm planning on adding more soundproofing to mine in the spring after it warms up.

Really? I wonder if it's the 3" that keeps it louder...

I'm just waiting for my donut gaskets to come in before I can mount mine. I'd like mine to be a bit louder than what I have now but there is such a thing as too loud, that's for sure.

I have the factory resonator in still but it's definitely longer than the CXLighting resonator and nowhere as big either - the CXLighting resonator is 3" straight through...

GEE OTTO, take a vid of it as it is now and then one after if/when you put the second resonator in.

Are you saying it's too loud in the car or too loud outside, or both? If it's just inside, you could do some soundproofing. I'm planning on adding more soundproofing to mine in the spring after it warms up.

The magnaflow system is 2.5 inches which is only 1/4 larger than stock the diagrams show the clamps at 3 inches because the have to be to leave room to tighten them it is loud b/c it is just a loud mofo sans the one cat two stock mufflers and a resonator. Not bad I dont mind it but I will need it a little more quite. And a video will be made

Can't afford a cbe, can anyone recommend replacement mufflers? Just want to hear a little more tone. I was thinking about adding that rallitek intake and possibly removing the resonator(heard this on you tube). Would this sound be annoying? Picked up a 2.5 auto 2008 i se a week and half ago and want to spend my tip money, lol:ohhh:

Local parts manager said that playing with exhaust diameter will ruin bottom end (too much flow?). I'm in so. cal and traffic dictates torque over top end. Need to be able to skirt in between the grazers. Not sure stock diameter, so just trying to find something I can possibly find at a local muffler shop with decent tone that will not break the bank.

Local parts manager said that playing with exhaust diameter will ruin bottom end (too much flow?). I'm in so. cal and traffic dictates torque over top end. Need to be able to skirt in between the grazers. Not sure stock diameter, so just trying to find something I can possibly find at a local muffler shop with decent tone that will not break the bank.

Your parts manager is full od shyt :lol: I just swapped my stocl for a Full 2.5 inch Magnaflow exhaust and I lost NOTHING. IF you switch for 3 inch maybe and is you switch for a a larger CBE and keep the stock manifold you will lose a lot of bottom end. Your parts manager needs to DRIVE this car before scaring you from changing things WE have real life exp so what we are saying isnt a rumor.

:):):):):):)

Archived