LegacyGT.com

2.5i Exhaust Question

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The magnaflow system is 2.5 inches which is only 1/4 larger than stock the diagrams show the clamps at 3 inches because the have to be to leave room to tighten them it is loud b/c it is just a loud mofo sans the one cat two stock mufflers and a resonator. Not bad I dont mind it but I will need it a little more quite. And a video will be made

Did you measure the mid-pipe with calipers? Check the Y-pipes as well. You might be surprised, and I'd like to know for sure.

Drop in filter = AVO or K&N

Remove resonator = take out the filter box and unsnap that huge tank that fits in the wheel well

Deeper burble = UEL headers, and chambered mufflers

I removed my intake helmoltz resonator but recently put it back in because I was running rich and felt it was one of the potential causes. It's not just for the sound... there's a good stickied thread on Nasioc in the N/A section that explains it.

I'm happy with my Perrin oiled foam filter and straight through Magnaflow mufflers.

The CXLighting mufflers that I will be putting on in the spring are also straight through. So, there is some personal preference between chambered and straight through.

Yeah But empirically straight through mufflers are louder b/c they don't inhibit sound waves the same as some chambered mufflers.

Yeah I took my resonator out for about 100 miles and put it back in b/c I read that thread a while back.

The oiled filters work fine but I am weary of putting oil upstream of my MAF

I have a Magnaflow Catback on my 2.5i and personally i think it sounds amazing...its got a nice deep tone to it both when on the gas and off.

Yah, I agree - I enjoy the tone/volume I get through my Magnaflow 14827 straight through mufflers.

If anything, I could have it a bit louder. I think GEE-OTTO's setup is probably louder due to the single high flow cat compared to the stock setup which will be more restrictive, attenuating etc.

Yah, I agree - I enjoy the tone/volume I get through my Magnaflow 14827 straight through mufflers.

If anything, I could have it a bit louder. I think GEE-OTTO's setup is probably louder due to the single high flow cat compared to the stock setup which will be more restrictive, attenuating etc.

:lol: Yes yes it is more loud and the odd thing it is more loud in the car than outside:eek:. The MagnaFlow Mufflers that come with the cbe for the LGT are sweet sounding but you are right I would need a dual cat setup to neck it to where I like. But I sold the mufflers to a LGT guy with the same CBE and ordered two of those MagnaFlow Chambered mufflers once those go in it is is still near the previous setup i am going to throw in another cat.

I basically want it to sound like a Stock STi with the SPT exhaust if that helps. I know I'm so particular maybe I should buy a one :wub:

Can't afford a cbe, can anyone recommend replacement mufflers? Just want to hear a little more tone. I was thinking about adding that rallitek intake and possibly removing the resonator(heard this on you tube). Would this sound be annoying? Picked up a 2.5 auto 2008 i se a week and half ago and want to spend my tip money, lol:ohhh:

I am interested in just the Mid-Y pipe so I sent the vendor an email on eBay asking if I could buy just that (no cans), and also if I could pick it up since I'm local.

No and No.

Too bad, as I really don't want to pay for things I don't need (mufflers & $80 shipping!) Anybody in SoCal just want the cans?

Hooking you up...

Crinaldi, what muffler part# is on your cbe? I have a PZEV vehicle so don't want to play with the exhaust diameter, just replace the mufflers at the end. There are some nice sounding 2.5 i's on youtube, that's fo sho!

umm to be honest im not really sure..what happened with my 2.5i was that the actuall mufflers fit perfectly, but the straight pipe was about 2 inches short to a snug fit to my catalytic converter. I just took another piece of stainless steel piping and welded it until it was long enough. My exaust has been on for about a year now and i still love it. The magnaflow is also under a lifetime warranty :)

• 2 weeks later...
Scooter, what type of mufflers are they and can you find out the size of the inlet? Also, are they direct replacement or do they need to be modified to hook up to factory hangers? Thanks CDN!

Imitation Asian, did you sort something out with Scooter?

If not, there's another set for sale in the classifieds right now:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132711

CDN, honestly I'm confused as Phuk! I started to consider the Megan axle backs and just found out my neighbor could hook up Magnaflow mufflers at near cost. I prefer the dual pipe setup as in the Megan v.1 so I was considering the Magnaflow 14805, 14815, 14816. Do you think I need the longer tips (14815/16)? I like the the smaller diameter outs (14815), not so obvious...

CDN, honestly I'm confused as Phuk! I started to consider the Megan axle backs and just found out my neighbor could hook up Magnaflow mufflers at near cost. I prefer the dual pipe setup as in the Megan v.1 so I was considering the Magnaflow 14805, 14815, 14816. Do you think I need the longer tips (14815/16)? I like the the smaller diameter outs (14815), not so obvious...

Having done the custom exhaust thing - I don't think I would bother again. I had magnaflow 14827 cans installed with flanges cheaply once, only to have them the hangers come off, more than once. I had the exhaust redone without flanges, making it 1 piece mid, Y and mufflers, and both sides had the muffler junction fail due to the corrosion here in the east (work originally done out west in BC). Basically, I wasted a bunch of money and time having all that custom work done when I could have just done a bolt-on exhaust, that I could install myself at home.

So, my recommendation is still to buy a set of cans at a discount from someone selling them in the classifieds. There's good savings to be had there, should still be cheaper than your connection, plus no customization/fabrication required. Now, if you're keen on the dual tips, there is a set of nice ones for sale right now in the classifieds - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132274. You could buy those and have them welded onto a set of cxlighting cans for pretty cheap I would expect and then you get your custom look at a savings? Just a thought. And IMO, those tips look nicer because they're staggered.

• 4 weeks later...

So, it's installed:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2899732&postcount=171

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2900329&postcount=173

It's louder than my magnaflow 14827 mufflers were... Haven't driven on it extensively yet so not sure if it will quiet down or get louder.

I will be soundproofing my floorpan in a month or so to help keep the interior quiet.

• 2 months later...

So, even after soundproofing the floorpan, which yielded a decent 5dB reduction at 120km/h, I still have pretty significant drone under load, particularly around 3k rpm. And this is with the CXLighting resonator... I guess the N/A's are more susceptible to the drone when compared to the GTs as we don't have a turbo to mute the exhaust?

I am probably going to add a second resonator and see what that does. The thing is there's only about a foot of straight pipe after the first resonator before the rear flange to the Y-pipe. I will be limited to a short resonator like the Vibrant 1794, which is 12" overall, 9.5" is the bottle itself.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1054&products_id=292

CDN I bought a magnaflow CBE with two resonators in it. A magnaflow, and a Vibrant bottle style like you linked to. It also has silencers in the tips. The old owner wanted a very quiet exhaust.

The old owner had Magnaflow->Vibrant on the straight pipe, and during the install the magnaflow resonator was hitting the heatshield(?) protecting the driveline(?) going back to the rear wheels. I didn't want it too quiet anyways, so losing one was OK, and I had to chop it off.

So far, it's pretty quiet, at idle it's fairly quiet, and only around 3k does it get a bit louder. I can take a video of it sometime if you want, and also if my dB meter still works can test that out for you too.

I also have a 4EAT so, on highway I'm always around 3k, and the drone isn't too bad~ although I do listen to music while driving so that may drown it out a bit.

tl;dr Magnaflow CBE (gt fitment), with 1 vibrant resonator, and silencers in tips and it's fairly quiet.

Archived