LegacyGT.com

Edmunds review of 2010 Legacy 3.6R

Viber

Lukewarm review, lame performance numbers. To it's credit, it is quiet

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/11/il-track-tested-2010-subaru-legacy-36r.html

It's easy to forget about the 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R. After all, with its non-turbocharged six-cylinder engine, it's the black sheep of the Subaru family. Add in the fact that it has less horsepower than the four-cylinder Legacy GT and many are left wondering why the 3.6R tops the lineup.

The answer is simple, really. Not everyone likes the feel of a turbocharged four-cylinder. Sounds odd, maybe, but more than a few Americans have grown accustomed to the smooth, effortless power delivery of a medium-sized six-cylinder engine. It is quite nice, you know.

Those same drivers also appreciate the simplicity of an automatic transmission, so the 3.6R comes standard with one of those, too. And don't forget its sophisticated Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) all-wheel-drive system and long list of optional luxury features. Put them all together and the Legacy makes for an interesting alternative to the Accords and Camrys of the world. See just how interesting in our latest results from the test track.

Vehicle: 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R

Odometer: 5453

Date: 10/20/09

Driver: Josh Jacquot

Price:

Specifications:

Drive Type: All-wheel drive

Transmission Type: Five-speed automatic

Engine Type: Flat-6

Displacement (cc/cu-in): 3,630cc (222 cu-in)

Redline (rpm): 6,500

Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 256 @ 6,000

Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 247 @ 4,400

Brake Type (front): Ventilated disc

Brake Type (rear): Ventilated disc

Steering System: Speed-proportional power steering

Suspension Type (front): MacPherson strut

Suspension Type (rear): Double-wishbone

Tire Size (front): 225/50R17 93V M+S

Tire Size (rear): 225/50R17 93V M+S

Tire Brand: Bridgestone

Tire Model: Turanza EL400

Tire Type: All-season

Wheel Size: 17-by-7 inches

Wheel Material (front/rear): Alloy

As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,554

Test Results:

0-30 (sec): 2.7

0-45 (sec): 4.6

0-60 (sec): 7.1

0-75 (sec): 10.5

1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.2 @ 91.7

0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.8

30-0 (ft): 31

60-0 (ft): 123

Braking Rating: Average

Slalom (mph): 65.3

Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.81

Handling Rating: Good

Db @ Idle: 35.5

Db @ Full Throttle: 66.9

Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 59.1

Acceleration Comments: With the standard automatic, there's not much to do when it comes to launching this car. Does respond to brake torque launches, though, as it shaved a couple tenths right there. Used Manual mode for shifting but it didn't seem to help much. Shifts are fairly quick and smooth, nothing special. Did notice that it blips the throttle nicely when you're slowing down, though; didn't expect that.

Braking Comments: Adequate performance, but not confidence-inspiring. Showed no significant fade after five runs. Soft, all-season tires certainly didn't help here.

Handling Comments: (Skid pad) Easy to control without much intervention from the VDC system. Well balanced initially before it transitions to understeer. (Slalom) Used Manual mode to hold a gear and it works well without upshifting. Steering response noticeably slower than Impreza. VTD didn't come into play much here, not enough power to make a difference. Body roll is significant, so transitions take some planning. Easy to control, just not very quick on its feet.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've read the 3.6r suspension isn't really well tuned for the extra engine weight up front. For the older, less aggressive drivers it probably won't matter.

For those with a more aggressive streak, I can see a decent opportunity for after market tuning of both suspension and engine. Would love to see what the car is capable of with some tweaking...

"and long list of optional luxury features." - yeah right... long list... Not.

"Put them all together and the Legacy makes for an interesting alternative to the Accords and Camrys of the world." - not much more to say after this. It used to be an interesting, less expensive, quicker alternative to Audi A4, G35/37, and base BMW 3-series-xi cars.

it's the freaking 3.6... it's not a track car... it's supposed to be a cruiser.

Compared to edmunds other 6 Cylinder reviews

271hp 254 Lbs ft torque Accord

0 - 30 (sec.)3.0 (3.1 traction control on)

0 - 45 (sec.)4.8 (5.0 traction control on)

0 - 60 (sec.)7.2 (7.4 traction control on)

0 - 75 (sec.)10.5 (10.8 traction control on)

1/4 mile (sec. @ mph)15.3 @ 93.1 (15.5 @ 92.5 traction control on)

0-60 with 1-ft rollout (sec.)6.9 (7.1 traction control on)

30 - 0 (ft.)33

60 - 0 (ft.)133

Braking rating Good

Slalom, 6 x 100 ft (mph)64.1 (62.2 stability control on)

Skid pad, 200 ft diameter (lateral g)0.83 (0.79 stability control on) Handling rating Good

Sound level @ idle (db)42.5

Sound level @ full throttle (db)75.6

Sound level @ 70 mph cruise (db)70.7

Legacy is quicker, better handling, and quieter than the more powerful V6 Accord

It's the same story with the More powerful COTY V6 Fusion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^the curse of the heavy front wheel drive vehicle...hard to put down a lot of power, the suby on the other hand is all wheel drive and is designed for it, much easier to put the power down. power means nothing if you can't get it to the ground correctly

also it helps to have an awesome power band too, which the flat six has and the accord v6 does not.

Reviewer said 'body roll is significant.' What mod(s) would be required to reduce body roll? Which mods would make the most improvement? Which mods would be the best bang for the buck?

MJ, please be aware that comments such as your last one, because there have been so many similar comments from pre-2010 Legacy owners, is offensive to many of the people on this forum who have purchased a 2010 Legacy. More courtesy in this regard on would be appreciated. Since there are still plenty of new 2009 Legacy's to choose from on dealer lots, it is plenty obvious that some people prefer the 2010 design over the previous generation. Please show these people more respect. From what I have read on this forum, purchasers of the 2010 Legacy have been very respectful to owners of previous generation Legacy's. Thank you.

I like Josh Jacqout a lot... he used to be an editor of Sport Compact Car way back in the day and I loved his editorials....

almost as entertaining as the B4 / IWSS 4 page editorials I have been reading the last 5 years.

Why aren't you dudes on a payroll somewhere??????????????

"and long list of optional luxury features." - yeah right... long list... Not.

"Put them all together and the Legacy makes for an interesting alternative to the Accords and Camrys of the world." - not much more to say after this. It used to be an interesting, less expensive, quicker alternative to Audi A4, G35/37, and base BMW 3-series-xi cars.

How the mighty have fallen.

How the hell does the Legacy go from going toe to toe with Infiniti, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Acura and Lexus to indistinct, 2003 Hyundai Sonata alternative?

Pathetic. SOA sucks and so does the new legacy

I get that people, particularly in the US, wanted a bigger Legacy. I get that the rear seat on the previous gen model was a little tight. But how many consumers were demanding that Subaru eliminate folding mirrors? How many people complained about having a coolant temp gauge on the dash, or a normal parking brake? Subaru made so many changes in the name of cost cutting, and that is most unfortunate.

I get that people, particularly in the US, wanted a bigger Legacy. I get that the rear seat on the previous gen model was a little tight. But how many consumers were demanding that Subaru eliminate folding mirrors? How many people complained about having a coolant temp gauge on the dash, or a normal parking brake? Subaru made so many changes in the name of cost cutting, and that is most unfortunate.

how many people aren't complaining about it seeing as how the Legacy is selling at levels it's never sold at before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

how many people aren't complaining about it seeing as how the Legacy is selling at levels it's never sold at before.

Thank you for posting this. For as much as people complain about the new legacy and how it's a horrible drop in content/looks from what it used to be, the fact is that they are selling more legacy's now than ever.

People, FHI is a company trying to turn a profit. And although your opinion may be that they have 'ruined' the legacy, your opinion is clearly in the minority since they have been selling at record rates. There are things I don't like about the new legacy too, but the one thing I can't deny is that it is more appealing as a whole to most people than the previous generation was.

Food for though: The higher revenue streams will produce more R&D money for future cars (including possible specialty cars for the niche market - Sti's Spec B's etc.)

Thank you for posting this. For as much as people complain about the new legacy and how it's a horrible drop in content/looks from what it used to be, the fact is that they are selling more legacy's now than ever.

You determined that in the last 4 months or so, did you? I can assure you there are more 2005-2009 Legacy cars on the road, so I dont think the 2010 model has sold more than "ever"

You determined that in the last 4 months or so, did you? I can assure you there are more 2005-2009 Legacy cars on the road, so I dont think the 2010 model has sold more than "ever"

Wow, talk about a reach. Trying to compare sales volume over the past couple of months against sales totals over several years seems pretty desperate...

I'm guessing what he's talking about is tracked by month to month sales. :facepalm:

Wow, talk about a reach. Trying to compare sales volume over the past couple of months against sales totals over several years seems pretty desperate...

I'm not the one that said the 2010 has sold more than "ever" :spin:

It's sold more out the gate than the previous gen. If that is what someone means, that is what they should say. Even then, the car business is about sustainability, so don't be so quick to pop the bubbly yet.

Yep, the new Legacy is now a car for fatties and geriatrics

Totally agree

Wow. Is that supposed to make us like the car now that it's a Camry competitor? We already knew that!

Most of us have already accepted that Subaru moved away from it's original demographics with the new Legacy.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived