LegacyGT.com

Edmunds review of 2010 Legacy 3.6R

Viber

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are people so concerned with the 0-60 times on the 3.6r? This is not a race car.....and to be honest, when people come in looking at this vehicle (or the 2.5...this year as well as last year..then year before, etc), they didn't ask, "what's the 0-60? I'm only going to buy the fastest 0-60 car".

People buying this car could care less about a lot of the stats we are discussing in the thread....most people care about the vehicle feeling like it has power, handles well for roads (not race tracks) and is comfortable. Sorry to say, but the 3.6R does that...and some more.

The car has more than enough to get the job done...and for those complaining about how crappy the car was, it is still better than last year performance wise/handling wise. I can understand people hating the looks, but knocking the performance is dumb....especially when many here drive something similar or less (and only more if they've modded)...but in stock form, these cars do better than the previous year.

The car has more than enough to get the job done...and for those complaining about how crappy the car was, it is still better than last year performance wise/handling wise. I can understand people hating the looks, but knocking the performance is dumb....especially when many here drive something similar or less (and only more if they've modded)...but in stock form, these cars do better than the previous year.

Didnt the 2010's loose the highly praised Bilstein suspension that was on the 4th gens Spec B's and the 3.0R's? I dont know about being better than previous year...

Why are people so concerned with the 0-60 times on the 3.6r? This is not a race car.....and to be honest, when people come in looking at this vehicle (or the 2.5...this year as well as last year..then year before, etc), they didn't ask, "what's the 0-60? I'm only going to buy the fastest 0-60 car".

People buying this car could care less about a lot of the stats we are discussing in the thread....most people care about the vehicle feeling like it has power, handles well for roads (not race tracks) and is comfortable. Sorry to say, but the 3.6R does that...and some more.

I agree, if the car wasn't so darn ugly, I'd be all over the 3.6! Well, and also if it had folding mirrors, a coolant cauge, and a real parking brake handle. I refuse to downgrade to a car that lacks features that my 2007 has. But I do like the powertrain on the 3.6!

Didnt the 2010's loose the highly praised Bilstein suspension that was on the 4th gens Spec B's and the 3.0R's? I dont know about being better than previous year...

The bilsteins weren't rated much better than the lgts without them. They are just a name. In fact from what I've read and experienced these cars handle better than the older spec b with bilsteins.

The bilsteins weren't rated much better than the lgts without them. They are just a name. In fact from what I've read and experienced these cars handle better than the older spec b with bilsteins.

OMG dont let the spec B owners see this :eek:

I challenge you to a parking brake snap-turn competition. :p

Ok. Let's do it. Although I'm not on stock suspension.

The only the the specb has over the lgt in the suspension area is better tires. The struts themselves are not anything to brag about and you'll find that almost all people who run their cars from time to time have changed their setup in some way...thus negating how great the bilsteins setup is.

Guest heightsgtltd

So a client of mine has a brand new 2010 Outback 3.6 and I parked next to it for meetings I have today with my 05 GT. Holy crap it looks like the 2010 gave birth to my GT as it's that much bigger :spin:

BTW, apparently there's a coolant gauge light that's blue and my client was told by his dealer that he can't drive it until the blue light goes out :lol:

MORE MARKETING SPIN.

When I was saying how 8000$ in out-the-door price difference, three years ago, when 2007 LGT Limited was selling below invoice, and dealers wouldn't take less than MSRP on a Spec B... was TOO MUCH MONEY for what few items were gained, and the color choices lost...

...everyone chastised me saying that the bilsteins and aluminum suspension arms were the solution to all of the Legacy's suspension ills, and how that plus a 6MT, and less-that-impressive NAV system that was mandatory, were EASILY worth the high transaction price difference, and that I shouldn't care about the lack of color choice on the car.

I am sure that people who use bilsteins, or Konis, or Ohlins, or other premium, name brand parts just buy them for the pretty colors, and the name recognition... I am sure Porsche owners swap stock dampers for PSS9 systems just because...

I am sure Subaru fitted Bilsteins to the Spec Bs in ALL the different markets, and to the 3.0R Limited just for grins... even though they didn't market the name at all anywhere on the car. The Literature barely mentioned it... what good is "just a name", when the name isn't publicized that much...

So, if Bilsteins are all pap, then what new dampers and springs should I put on my 2005 Legacy GT, which needs new dampers, and I don't want to put the CRAP stock damper OE replacements on... I didn't put the CRAP stock OE brake pad replacements on, either. I was thinking Bilstein HDs and Ion springs... but evidently that is just a name, and are probably no different than stock-replacement monroes or tokico non-label parts-store specials, right?

But now I am supposed to think that Subaru's cut-price efforts on the '10 Legacy generated better results than the Spec B, now? Even though by some reports, the '10 Legacy GT shares pretty much everything, suspension wise, with the base 2.5i...

I am shopping for a car that can put the hurt on a Camry - is the 3.6R a good choice???

If you're drag racing...no... if you're going around a track... yes. But that's not what the car was meant for.

rao=fail troll attempt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only the the specb has over the lgt in the suspension area is better tires. The struts themselves are not anything to brag about and you'll find that almost all people who run their cars from time to time have changed their setup in some way...thus negating how great the bilsteins setup is.

Actually I was just kidding, and the not-really-a-challenge was to any '10 LGT owner, hence the parking brake reference. My attempt at humor was a minor fail.

If you're drag racing...no... if you're going around a track... yes. But that's not what the car was meant for.

rao=fail troll attempt

Ouch :lol:

I just read in tis very forum that the 3.6R does not handle as the prior version, so it looks like The B4=failed corporate zombie cheerleader ;)

What's worse is that it appears that the Legacy 3.6R won't put the hurt on a Camry :eek:

The SpecB Bilsteins (same as regular JDM GT Bilsteins) were not really a sporty suspension, but a well mannered comfortable setup. What SOA forgot to put was the thicker rear sway bar present on JDM version to reduce the roll.

Also the aluminium components offered significant unsprung mass reduction, totally noticeable if you run lightweight wheels as well. For some bizzaro reasons SOA elected to put heavy ass monster wheels on the SpecB hiding any benefits of the lightened suspension.

Also The actual JDM SpecB Bilsteins were much more aggresively damped, and pretty well suited for lowering and/or stiffer springs.

The stock BL/BP GT suspension was a joke and pile of underdamped crap, oscillating like a boat after even going thru a minor bump. It's not hard to put anything better on a car. If 2010 got OMG better suspension. F***, almost anything has better suspension, compared to that dung of suspension.

One of the things I find interesting is that most people here are complaining about the pack of bilsteins when they never even drove the specb to begin with.

Please. Maybe becase they drove regular gt and concluded the suspension is crap?

Again, if for 2010 they ordered decent units from KYB (heck, STI stockers are also KYBs), then the suspension can be fine, reducing the need for "Bilsteins".

That being said, Bilstein's monotube gas shocks are vastly superior to the vanilla OEM style KYB's oil twintubes.

But does anyone expect a company so hell bent on cost-cutting, that eliminated folding mirrors and many other features to actually put a brand name suspension on the car? LOL

Archived