LegacyGT.com

Edmunds review of 2010 Legacy 3.6R

Viber

Wow. Is that supposed to make us like the car now that it's a Camry competitor? We already knew that!

Most of us have already accepted that Subaru moved away from it's original demographics with the new Legacy.

You know whats sad? I was behind a Camry today and couldn't tell the difference till I could get a good look at the emblem on the trunk.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lukewarm review, lame performance numbers. To it's credit, it is quiet

...to be fair, this was not a full review of the 3.6R it was a track test. Secondly how do these numbers match up to what the 3.0R posted? Thirdly, those interested in performance are obviously going to opt for the 2.5GT.

It would have been nice if Subaru appealed to the masses without turning off the enthusiasts. I'm sure the Camry mobile appliance crowd would still like the new, larger Legacy if it had kept the previous generation's sleek, clean styling and the features that Subaru saw fit to delete, hoping nobody would notice.

edmunds tested an 05 Automatic GT wagon in 2004. I know a wagon to sedan isn't a perfect comparison, but it's the best i could do to keep the source data the same. From their stats the 2010 has a 54 lbs penalty.

the 3.6 is:

.25 seconds quicker to the quarter mile traveling .15 mph faster

.1 seconds slower 0-30

same 0-45

.1 second slower 0-60

.1 second quicker 0-75

1.4 mph quicker in the slalom

brakes 30-0 .97 feet quicker

brakes 60-0 10.89 feet quicker

and is considerably quieter

As I've said before. for someone wanting an auto... if they don't mind not having the hoodscoop and don't plan on modding, they aren't losing performance with the 3.6. The power delivery is also very similar to the turbos for better or for worse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would have been nice if Subaru appealed to the masses without turning off the enthusiasts. I'm sure the Camry mobile appliance crowd would still like the new, larger Legacy if it had kept the previous generation's sleek, clean styling and the features that Subaru saw fit to delete, hoping nobody would notice.

are you just copying and pasting at this point? :confused::iam:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest heightsgtltd
edmunds tested an 05 Automatic GT wagon in 2004. I know a wagon to sedan isn't a perfect comparison, but it's the best i could do to keep the source data the same. From their stats the 2010 has a 54 lbs penalty.

the 3.6 is:

.25 seconds quicker to the quarter mile traveling .15 mph faster

.1 seconds slower 0-30

same 0-45

.1 second slower 0-60

.1 second quicker 0-75

1.4 mph quicker in the slalom

brakes 30-0 .97 feet quicker

brakes 60-0 10.89 feet quicker

and is considerably quieter

Ok, so we are supposed to be impressed that a car tested almost 6 years ago has similar stats to a brand new car that's a 2010 model :confused:

That's some progress :lol:

Ok, so we are supposed to be impressed that a car tested almost 6 years ago has similar stats to a brand new car that's a 2010 model :confused:

That's some progress :lol:

no... yesterday's hot rod is today's cruiser. The 3.6 is competitive with many of the other 6 cylinders with even more HP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently the only comparisons that the new 2010 Legacy wins are with cars 5-6 years old :lol:

+1 just look at what the current competition models have compared to the 2010 Legacy 3.6R looks like 2010 legacy's engine should be on the bottom of the list :lol:

2010 Legacy 3.6R 256hp/247tq

Altima 3.5L 270hp/258tq

Maxima 3.5L 290hp/261tq

G35x 3.7L 328hp/269tq

TL 3.5L 280hp/254tq or 3.7L 305hp/273tq

Accord 3.5L 271hp/254tq

Camry 3.5L 268hp/248tq

Mazda 6 3.7L 272hp/269tq

VW CC 280hp/265tq

Fusion 3.5L 263hp/249tq

+1 just look at what the current competition models have compared to the 2010 Legacy 3.6R looks like 2010 legacy's engine should be on the bottom of the list :lol:

Altima 3.5L 270hp/258tq

Maxima 3.5L 290hp/261tq

G35x 3.7L 328hp/269tq

Accord 3.5L 271hp/254tq

Camry 3.5L 268hp/248tq

Mazda 6 3.7L 272hp/269tq

VW CC 280hp/265tq

Fusion 3.5L 263hp/249tq

I think it's been proven many, many times now that more hp doesn't equal faster. Just because those cars have more power that doesn't mean their better.

Take the WRX, it will beat v8 camaro's, challengers, 370's and so on. I've seen a 600whp porsche beat a 1000 whp ford gt500 (i guess now a gt1000). So what does that tell you?

Once again, the 3.6R is not a race car....neither is the legacy. It was never supposed to be the fastest car out there. Subaru only made the turbo for someone who wants that feel but doesn't want the boy racer race car. With regards to the 3.6R, Subaru only makes it to appeal to those who feel they need a 6 cylinder. In fact, this is why there aren't many that have been sold when compared to the 4.

Altima 3.5L 270hp/258tq

Maxima 3.5L 290hp/261tq

G35x 3.7L 328hp/269tq

Accord 3.5L 271hp/254tq

Camry 3.5L 268hp/248tq

Mazda 6 3.7L 272hp/269tq

VW CC 280hp/265tq

Fusion 3.5L 263hp/249tq

...hmmm, the list appears a bit flawed imho as there are several non-competitors listed. The Maxima and Legacy aren't competitors and the TL and G37x are in a different league all together. The CC isn't representative of VW's entry into the class, the regular Passat is and the VR6 motor was dropped in '08. In regards to the Fusion, the 3.5L V6 is only available in the Sport which then matches up against the 2.5GT and not the 3.6R. All that being said, apples to apples the 3.6R is class competitive and a better car than the 3.0R it replaced.

Guest heightsgtltd

Why isnt the maxima a competitor for the Legacy?

Your argument about the Fusion sport being only a GT competitor is laughable.

I think it's been proven many, many times now that more hp doesn't equal faster. Just because those cars have more power that doesn't mean their better.

Take the WRX, it will beat v8 camaro's, challengers, 370's and so on. I've seen a 600whp porsche beat a 1000 whp ford gt500 (i guess now a gt1000). So what does that tell you?

Once again, the 3.6R is not a race car....neither is the legacy. It was never supposed to be the fastest car out there. Subaru only made the turbo for someone who wants that feel but doesn't want the boy racer race car. With regards to the 3.6R, Subaru only makes it to appeal to those who feel they need a 6 cylinder. In fact, this is why there aren't many that have been sold when compared to the 4.

I know more power doesnt equal faster, and we all know that the 2010 legacy is no race car :lol:. You would think since this is a new generation car they would give it a more competive edge against their aging competitors.

Why isnt the maxima a competitor for the Legacy?

...the Maxima and the Legacy perhaps last matched up up well before the Altima was introduced. Based on size, features, price and some other measures the current Maxima and the current Legacy are tailored to very different segments of the market. The Altima is Nissan's entry into the mid-size market and has been for about three generations now, not the Maxima.

Your argument about the Fusion sport being only a GT competitor is laughable.

...not at all, having driven the Fusion Sport and the '10 GT these are two that dynamically match up when evaluating both Fusion lineup vs the Legacy lineup. In regards to performance the 2.5GT is more than a match for the Fusion Sport (or most anything else in the class actually). Even Motor Trend made a similar comparo before awarding the new Fusion COTY. Generally, those looking for a V6 in the Fusion sans the sport are going to opt for the 3.0L V6 SE or SEL and not the Sport. The 3.0L Duratec motor only produces 240hp and is more in line with the general midsize competition. Those buyers in search of a sportier, better performing mid size sedan are looking at the Fusion Sport and 2.5GT in addition to other sportier mid-size line offerings like the 3.5SR, SEV6, and 6S Grand Touring.

Guest heightsgtltd

Yeah that H6 is really stomping on cars like the Accord, Camry, Altima :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

IBB4orDownXshiftsaysitsjustasfastbutwithlesspowersomorebetter :lol:

Archived