LegacyGT.com

Audi S5

I drove the Audi S5 and am really considering ditching the LGT and getting it. Does anyone know of major issues with the car?

How about other cars I should consider? I'd prefer a smaller car, bigger engine, and equivalent interior quality. No FWD.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove the Audi S5 and am really considering ditching the LGT and getting it. Does anyone know of major issues with the car?

How about other cars I should consider? I'd prefer a smaller car, bigger engine, and equivalent interior quality. No FWD.

tt-s 3.2L vs hell of a lot cheaper too...only thing i dont like about the s5 is the premium you have to pay for audi...while nice... its get hard to justify when 1) audi doesnt budge on price 2) its competitors are fairly priced (335, g37s, genesis(i know not luxury), 370z)

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Have you paid a visit to your local BMW dealership? Do youself a favor and go drive a 135, 335 and M3.

I drove the M3. I like the way it drives, but I definitely don't like the interior. In fact, I don't think I could drive a BMW until they change the crappy 10+ year old sparse interior.

As for the other cars, they just don't pack the punch the S5 does. I thought about the C63 AMG and the IS-F, but they don't have manual. I'd consider a base 911 or Cayman S, but they ratchet up the "prick" level too far.

lack of a full sunroof is also something i didn't like.

Navigation, isnt that great. other wise the drove felt and drove great. interior was much inprovent from any other audi line...So maybe waiting for the s4 would be worth it. Over all, It was exteremely hard to justify another 15g's (once its all said and done) Over the g37s. I just coundlt do it. And the cos tto mod Audi...sigh...no bueno

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Comparing an Audi S5 with a 2005 Legacy GT doesn't make sense to me. You might as well throw a new Jaguar into the mix.:spin:

S5 is a whole other class of automobile.

Met a guy with his S5 a week ago. Great looking car. He gave up a AMG mercedes to get in the S5 and thinks it was a great decision. He also races a Formula Mazda in the SCCA so he knows his cars.

http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Audi-S5-Sportback.jpg

:drool:

That's the last straw -- I'm moving to Europe.

If you get the S5, itd sure be an interesting choice. My friend has an A5 and it's a good car -- the S5 must be great then. My other friend has the new M3 and that's an awesomeee car.

Well unfortunately I have to debunk a lot of what has been said.

First a TT-s stickers for around $60k and if you get a TT-S roadster then you are definitely over $60k. IIRC they only come in DSG which to me is pseudo stick. S5s sticker for around $60k+ and you get a bigger car.

The new S4 is already out. We have two in stock right now. It again only comes with a 7spd DSG (feels more like a SMG) trans. Rated at 333hp from the supercharged 3.0 it is surprisingly faster then I thought it would be. IIRC one stickered for around $53k

When we got our first new S4 we also got our first (and to this point only) S5 cab which has the same powertrain as the new S4. All S5 cabs will have the 3.0 V6 supercharged and 7spd DSG. I think 2010 is the last year for you to get the 4.2L V8 in the S5 coupe. You can also get a stick in the coupe still at least until they switch them over to the S4 powertrain which is possibly mid 2010 model year.

IN the 2010 model S5 Audi upgraded the MMI system which includes the nav. Now if you have Sirius radio you also get real time traffic and all the other good stuff. Unfortunately they do not have touch screen, but their push to talk system works really well. You also can get Audi Drive select on manual trans S5s in which it was an auto only feature. You can also get the Audi sport diff package which gives you that more rwd feeling. I haven't gotten to really push an S5 with it yet so I can't tell you if it is really worth it.

The biggest problems that only really happened on the early 07 S5s was the throw out bearings would fail/get noisy. They used a plastic race to make contact with the pressure plate and if the car got beaten on would cause it to melt. If the customer pushed it even further they would cause some gear problems. Audi covers all costs in which most people got a new clutch assembly and throw out bearing under warranty. There's a couple of reflashes out for them, but other then the throw out bearing problem they have been pretty rock solid and only come in for maintenance stuff.

Oh and for all the BMW fanboi's on the new S4/S5 cab with the supercharged motor with an MTM reflash they have cars making over 400hp from just the reflash.

Can they reflash that transmission to make it a real manual? :lol:

I see an S5 almost every day - they look great as all Audis do when they are not in the shop.

Again how is BMW so much better? I don't remember Audi having a recall on our subframes for cracking issues.

Link to the S5 cab thread;

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119387

Archived