LegacyGT.com

Audi S5

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who said BMW is better? At least you can get a proper manual transmission in their "performance" line.

You still can get an S5 coupe in stick. You still can get an R8 in stick and iirc an R8 V10 in stick. So right now you can't get an S4, S5 cab, S6, and a S8 in stick. How many MB AMGs do you get in stick?

You seem to suggest that Audi's do not experience mechanical problems, which everyone's experience proves is not true.

I have NEVER said Audi's are zero problems. First off I make my damn living from them breaking. I just hear to many interwebz stories of how a friend of a friend had a 01 S4 that had full exhaust and chipped that blew the turbos out at a track event. Or the wonderful 02-05 ignition coil problem that mainly happened on 1.8Ts and 3.0s. ZOOOMMMMYYYGOOOODDDDDDD a $30 part failed. Then I gotta hear on how BMWs are the best cars EVER made and have absolutely no problems what so ever. I mean Idrive is so much better then MMI. I mean it is so much easier to use the knob to put the car in gear over a regular shifter. Wanna change the temp, go back to the large know instead of a climate control head. Oh and BMWs are so much more a driver's car (except if it snows and xi drive is garbage compared to real Quattro).

Unfortunately I have to debunk some of what you've said.

Well unfortunately I have to debunk a lot of what has been said.

First a TT-s stickers for around $60k and if you get a TT-S roadster then you are definitely over $60k. IIRC they only come in DSG which to me is pseudo stick. S5s sticker for around $60k+ and you get a bigger car.

The TT-S has a base price of $45,900 and fully loaded is near $53,500. The TT-S Roadster starts at $54,950 and tops out around $56,500.

The new S4 is already out. We have two in stock right now. It again only comes with a 7spd DSG (feels more like a SMG) trans. Rated at 333hp from the supercharged 3.0 it is surprisingly faster then I thought it would be. IIRC one stickered for around $53k

You are incorrect about the S4 only being available in the 7spd dsg. It is available in a 6spd manual as well.

When we got our first new S4 we also got our first (and to this point only) S5 cab which has the same powertrain as the new S4. All S5 cabs will have the 3.0 V6 supercharged and 7spd DSG. I think 2010 is the last year for you to get the 4.2L V8 in the S5 coupe. You can also get a stick in the coupe still at least until they switch them over to the S4 powertrain which is possibly mid 2010 model year.

IN the 2010 model S5 Audi upgraded the MMI system which includes the nav. Now if you have Sirius radio you also get real time traffic and all the other good stuff. Unfortunately they do not have touch screen, but their push to talk system works really well. You also can get Audi Drive select on manual trans S5s in which it was an auto only feature. You can also get the Audi sport diff package which gives you that more rwd feeling. I haven't gotten to really push an S5 with it yet so I can't tell you if it is really worth it.

The biggest problems that only really happened on the early 07 S5s was the throw out bearings would fail/get noisy. They used a plastic race to make contact with the pressure plate and if the car got beaten on would cause it to melt. If the customer pushed it even further they would cause some gear problems. Audi covers all costs in which most people got a new clutch assembly and throw out bearing under warranty. There's a couple of reflashes out for them, but other then the throw out bearing problem they have been pretty rock solid and only come in for maintenance stuff.

Oh and for all the BMW fanboi's on the new S4/S5 cab with the supercharged motor with an MTM reflash they have cars making over 400hp from just the reflash.

You still can get an S5 coupe in stick. You still can get an R8 in stick and iirc an R8 V10 in stick. So right now you can't get an S4, S5 cab, S6, and a S8 in stick. How many MB AMGs do you get in stick?

I have NEVER said Audi's are zero problems. First off I make my damn living from them breaking. I just hear to many interwebz stories of how a friend of a friend had a 01 S4 that had full exhaust and chipped that blew the turbos out at a track event. Or the wonderful 02-05 ignition coil problem that mainly happened on 1.8Ts and 3.0s. ZOOOMMMMYYYGOOOODDDDDDD a $30 part failed. Then I gotta hear on how BMWs are the best cars EVER made and have absolutely no problems what so ever. I mean Idrive is so much better then MMI. I mean it is so much easier to use the knob to put the car in gear over a regular shifter. Wanna change the temp, go back to the large know instead of a climate control head. Oh and BMWs are so much more a driver's car (except if it snows and xi drive is garbage compared to real Quattro).

I don't remember discussing Mercedes and I certainly wasn't discussing BMW. I think you are protesting a little too much ;) . If you want, we can all agree that Audis are the best cars EVAR (except for the Spec B).

I think it is as much fun being on the side of the road when a $30 part fails as when a $5,000 part fails.

If you are in the Audi repair business then you will always have work.

BTW, Audi gave up on real all wheel drive a long time ago :lol:

Unfortunately I have to debunk some of what you've said.

As far as the price of a TT-S I'm going off of memory. I could have walked outstide and looked at one of the 3 we have sitting fere for the last 6-8 months. It is way to expensive as to what you get still. Going on Audi USA's website I priced a TT-S coupe out to about $54k and a raodster to about $57k with about the same options. The S5 starts at about $52k.

While I was on their website I did look to see about the S4 trans and you are right. My GM told me the new S4 was going to be 7spd manualmatic only. Maybe he meant the initail S4s or maybe just the S5 cab? The new S4 also starts at $46k

RAO;

Well I guess the new S4 is yet another Audi performance car with your "proper manual" trans. In most Audi's they still use the Torsen center diff (the same set up that the spec B uses for the rear diff for limited slip)which is the same basic system they've used since the late 80's. However on the low line cars such as the TT and A3 they use pseudo awd with a Haldex systen.

Again I never said Audis were the best car evar. I'm just saying they are no worse then a BMW.

Every time I start a discussion, it turns out like this. People lose focus on what was asked.

So what I get is that the S5 (or Audis in general) have some reliability problems. Since I'm planning a lease, this isn't really an issue. I'm also a huge VW fanboy (having owned a 1983 Rabbit and 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg), I never had any problems with the cars.

My real question was: are there other cars I'm not thinking about that are smaller, lighter, bigger engine, yes still equivalent interior quality as the S5? I'm actually quite enamored with the S4 too, but I was thinking if I keep the car, I could turn the S5 into a monster with a turbo, while the S4 will be harder to work with.

Why would the S4 be ANY different than the S5? If you are planning on adding a turbo to the S5 you need to do a LOT more homework before you sped yourself into oblivion. Adding a turbo to a leased car will also make for a lot of fun down the road.

I was saying if I decide to purchase the car after lease, then I could consider turbo. The reason I'm thinking S5 over S4 is that the 2010 S5 is a V8 while the 2010 S4 is a V6-turbo. I know it's harder than just slapping a turbo into the car ... but it's something to consider.

Also, does anyone know how Audis are with NVH over time? My LGT was great at first, but over time it has definitely deteriorated to a point I can barely deal with.

actually, it's based on Edmunds who happens to now a little more than some "guy" on a subaru forum.

No offense man but you cant come on forums posting that your info is correct because edmunds, autoweek, motortrend or any other car review site or mag told you so. Your gonna get laughed at.

And Raos knowledge about cars is pretty respected on this site.

Audis always say the new GEN is more reliable than the last, but wait till this new gen has a majority of them in higher miles and then we will see what reliability they hold.

so.... the companies that test cars for a living and can make or break a line have no creditablity?

seriously?

Not as much as real world people with real world results. Because thats what these companies do testing for. To see how these cars hold up in real world results. So whats better than trying to test for real world results, how about talking to hundreds of real world drivers and there experiences. I have known many people with audi products some newer than 02 with tons of problems and have talked to hundreds of people on forums that have had audi problems. Infact the only person i know with an audi who hasnt had any problems is my aunts 08 a4. But its less than a year old and has less than 20kmiles.

To the common buyer audi is known as a attractive luxury brand, talk to any car enthusiast and they have most likely heard or know someone who will tell you they arent worth your time or the money.

basically.

You stated that friend had one that was unreliable.

How about this: YOU post something that proves YOUR point that they are unreliable.

Lets see if you can do that.... baby steps

I stated that I had a freind that had "several" that were unreliable, try to pay attention :lol:

So you believe everything that you read? You can't imagine that any automotive publication has any possible bias against slamming a car or maker? Then you call me uneducated? I want to get educated like you are :)

I can play this game (and I can also use the internet :eek: ) - here are the JD Power 2009 Dependability ratings - NOTE THIS IS FOR THE 2009 MODEL YEAR (I hope this is current enough for you) ;)

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand

Let's see Audi has WORSE overall dependability than the following makes:

Acura

Buick

Cadillac

Honda

Infiniti

Jaguar :eek:

Lexus

Lincoln

Mercury

Porsche

Toyota

You can apologize in any form that you like :)

Archived