LegacyGT.com

ACT HD clutch with tsk3 kit review

05lgt5spd

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Im pretty much sold on the WRX flywheel and ACT HD setup

however this whole TSK3 thing confuses me, it sounds like with having the whole thing apart its worth replacing but can you tell what month/year your car was produced from the vin?

Also is the $835 shipped from fred beans the best price on the combo with the flywheel currently?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

You don't need to do the TSK3 even if you are having noise.

$835 shipped for the clutch and flywheel sounds high, are you including the TOB (that would sound about right)?

http://www.fredbeans.com is 835 shipped i check a few other places and that seems to be the going rate if theres a place thats cheaper please let me know.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

That's funny - I have read that the TOB is far superior design to the stock TOB. :lol:

It is hard to keep this all straight.

Rao, you didn't read that. You wrote it! :) Remember how you illuminated the fact that the TSK3 kit would prevent/handle trans snout damage whereas the stock TOB might damage it? Obviously superior design :)

Try to keep up man.

I was told that our TOB was not designed up to par. Its something with the way it clips to the shaft, or lack their of. I had my clutch done, and I wish I had looked at it. I have seen a few really messed up stock transmissions because of the stock TOB failing on a stock car. And when we ditch the DM fly for something lighter, it makes the problem worse. I figure your spending $650+ on parts, a little bit more is worth the peace of mind. Correct me if I'm wrong with any info stated above!

You don't need to do the TSK3 even if you are having noise.

$835 shipped for the clutch and flywheel sounds high, are you including the TOB (that would sound about right)?

You don't NEED to do it, but you are STUPID if you KNOW about this BEFORE doing clutch replacement and you don't do it.

gfxdave read my previous posts on this, it describes what causes the problem. After you read that post you will not ask the question you did about "mine is not making noise so do I need it."

In fact if my TOB had not been squeaking I wouldn't have changed my clutch.

116000 and my clutch disc wasn't that bad, so I could have kept running it if it wasn't for the TOB issue.

It's really not about the quill per se it's about the bearing not being clipped to the fork.

If you don't do it, don't be upset IF yours starts making noise some day after spending 1000-1500 on clutch replacement.

Greg,

I agree with you in the sense that clipping to the fork and covering the quill with a sleeve is an important facet of TSK3 bearing. But as Rao pointed out earlier (or in another thread), we don' actually know that it will have a longer life/better properties as a bearing than stock.

I'm counting on it doing so and intend to do mine. My reply was only meant to say that he did not NEED that bearing with that clutch and flywheel.

Joe

P.s. I've e-mailed tranquil to see if we can get the bearing/sleeve in pink.

Have you folks ever actually seen the clutch fork and TOB :lol:

So the stock TOB bearing without a clip cannot return when the clutch fork returns? :lol:

The stock TOB (and the magical TSK one) BOTH have a slot machined into the outside that is slid over the clutch fork so when the clutch fork oves the TOB moves - if the fork can't move the TOB a wire clip can't either.

The TSK kit is an EXCELLENT solution for a transmission that has a damaged quill, but it is not a panacea for all things transmission related.

BTW, you folks are hopeless :lol:

So the stock TOB bearing without a clip cannot return when the clutch fork

Of course Rao: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Transmission-Sleeve-Kit-for-Subaru-WRX-and-Legacy-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cea2f9f54QQitemZ330346504020QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

:)

And note the ebay-ad benefits!

Gives a noticeable smoothness to the clutch engagement

Eliminates noisy clutch linkage rattles

Allows you to keep your job completion time

Frees up the bay and mechanic

Eliminates the chance of costly mistakes in replacing the case

Eliminates towing expense and/or rental cars!

Ebay ads never lie.

Seriously though, I have not held a TSK3 tranquil TOB or the stock LGT bearing in my hand. From what I have read though, the stock TOB floats back with the clutch fork (and can stick to the PP) and the TSK3 is literally attached to it (the clip). The clip reduces it's tendency to float, and is a more normal design in most clutch applications (which is why TOB problems tend to be rare unless someone is sitting at stoplights with the clutch pedal pressed down for long periods of time).

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2255&idcategory=0

There's a description of why the design is supposed to be superior in terms of TOB longevity.

Correct me if I'm wrong here?

Joe

So the stock TOB bearing without a clip cannot return when the clutch fork returns? :lol:

The stock TOB (and the magical TSK one) BOTH have a slot machined into the outside that is slid over the clutch fork so when the clutch fork oves the TOB moves - if the fork can't move the TOB a wire clip can't either.

The TSK kit is an EXCELLENT solution for a transmission that has a damaged quill, but it is not a panacea for all things transmission related.

BTW, you folks are hopeless :lol:

A panacea for all things transmission related :rolleyes: who said it was???? Typical exageration from RAO... we need to change your user name to AKO...all knowing one. ;)

"There have been a lot of inquiries about the TSK3 kit. As of 2005 models, Subaru changed the transmission on these models and reverted to a push style clutch. The bearing does NOT have retainer clips and this allows the bearing to float on the quill and fork. This results in clutch noise and premature quill wear. Replacing the clutch release bearing with an OEM bearing will temporarily eliminate the noise until the grease thins out to allow the bearing to float again. The TSK3 includes the clip to prevent this problem.

This causes symptoms of clutch chatter, jerking, noisy clutch release bearing, or a sticking pedal."

Is there something I am missing? I have seen the TOB and it was my understanding, and I could be wrong, have been before, that it had a failure to return problem due to it not being cliped to the fork.

Isnt the noise we are hearing the bearing going bad number one and number two it riding up against the pressure plate because it is not wanting to return with the fork for some reason?

That was my understanding, if I am wrong please set the record straight RAO, that is what the forum is for.... hopefully for correct information.

No need to be a smart ass about it, just explain what you know to be different so we can move on.

We just want the truth of the matter we dont care who is correct or not. Your laughter at someone not understanding exactly what is being described by others just shows the arrogance and pride of your attitude.

But hey thats OK, you will fall, the prideful ones always do.

The Subaru mechanic I use, and one of the best around the KC area has seen many a failure of the TOB, has been working for Subaru for more than 15 years, and says the kit is a great preventative mod.

I dont know anyone that has said it is a superior bearing per se.

Ill just correct your statement and put it this way....

The TSK3 Kit is an EXCELLENT solution to PREVENT a damaged quill.

clutch is on it's way out on my 05 LGT. going to get the ACT HD clutch and TSK3 kit, but when it comes to the flywheel, does any wrx flywheel work? or only certain years?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-09-Subaru-Wrx-Sti-Flywheel-OEM-Stock-Factory-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ320472498387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9da640d3 ?

A panacea for all things transmission related :rolleyes: who said it was???? Typical exageration from RAO... we need to change your user name to AKO...all knowing one. ;)

"There have been a lot of inquiries about the TSK3 kit. As of 2005 models, Subaru changed the transmission on these models and reverted to a push style clutch. The bearing does NOT have retainer clips and this allows the bearing to float on the quill and fork. This results in clutch noise and premature quill wear. Replacing the clutch release bearing with an OEM bearing will temporarily eliminate the noise until the grease thins out to allow the bearing to float again. The TSK3 includes the clip to prevent this problem.

This causes symptoms of clutch chatter, jerking, noisy clutch release bearing, or a sticking pedal."

Is there something I am missing? I have seen the TOB and it was my understanding, and I could be wrong, have been before, that it had a failure to return problem due to it not being cliped to the fork.

Isnt the noise we are hearing the bearing going bad number one and number two it riding up against the pressure plate because it is not wanting to return with the fork for some reason?

That was my understanding, if I am wrong please set the record straight RAO, that is what the forum is for.... hopefully for correct information.

No need to be a smart ass about it, just explain what you know to be different so we can move on.

We just want the truth of the matter we dont care who is correct or not. Your laughter at someone not understanding exactly what is being described by others just shows the arrogance and pride of your attitude.

But hey thats OK, you will fall, the prideful ones always do.

The Subaru mechanic I use, and one of the best around the KC area has seen many a failure of the TOB, has been working for Subaru for more than 15 years, and says the kit is a great preventative mod.

I dont know anyone that has said it is a superior bearing per se.

Ill just correct your statement and put it this way....

The TSK3 Kit is an EXCELLENT solution to PREVENT a damaged quill.

I have already explained it, but since no one pays attention I suppose it doesn't matter.

You obviously haven't read all of the posts (and not he ones by me) :lol:

Greg,

Rao explained it to me in a PM when I asked him for some more detail about one of his statements. I have not done my own transmission work to date and am more familiar with these statements in terms of "book knowledge", so to speak.

Essentially, the Stock TOB has the fork attached to it via groove and, as Rao explained it at least, it cannot float away from the fork even without the clips. The clips are a good idea, but whether it's clipped or not if the TOB sticks to the pressure plate you'll get pedal sticking regardless.

As he highlighted in your post, Rao has said previously that he feels it's a great part for preventing quill damage or for modestly grooved quills to be able to continue to function.

I'm just trying to clarify the tao of Rao, since I had to ask him for some clarification privately. Hopefully, I got it right.

clutch is on it's way out on my 05 LGT. going to get the ACT HD clutch and TSK3 kit, but when it comes to the flywheel, does any wrx flywheel work? or only certain years?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-09-Subaru-Wrx-Sti-Flywheel-OEM-Stock-Factory-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ320472498387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9da640d3 ?

I would stay away from that flywheel it looks pretty beat up with some hot spots on it.

I would stay away from that flywheel it looks pretty beat up with some hot spots on it.

Yeah that one looks like crap. Plus an sti one is different, its the 6-speed. It WON'T work. Whatever you get, get it surfaced.

Archived