LegacyGT.com

ACT HD clutch with tsk3 kit review

05lgt5spd

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok..so i didn't have time to read the whole post and I apologize but:

1001 kms ago, I had a new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate installed. Clutch disc and pressure plate is OE replacement(wrx part number) from Exedy, flywheel is single mass light weight( F1 racing), all purchases through Gripforce Clutches on eBay. I did my break in period. No hard starts, easy on the slippage and so on. All bearings replaced as well as rear main seal. The job was done by removing drive shaft, exhaust, tranny.

Anyways, besides the point. I now have a weird *chatter or noise* when the wheels are slipping on snow or ice, over 4K rpms, any gear exept 5th....

Engine noise seems to have changed since the new install, seems to growl more..

Seeing as this is the first clutch I have ever had replaced, I have no idea if the noise that I am hearing is due to the different parts(not stock) installed or, I have a problem with the parts or install...

can anyone ring in on this? Someone with the same parts maybe..!

Thanks a bunch all!

• 2 months later...

I recently installed a 06 flywheel and ACT HD clutch. I had the fly resurfaced and did not install a TSK because my snout was in good shape.

Now I have awful shake/chatter in 1500rpm range on partial engagement. Not accelerate decelerate noise, I mean shake the damn car noise. First gear is totally pointless unless I am WOT accelerating, then shifting into second it slips like mad if I keep the power on.

Needless to say I am very disappointed in my experience here after all the glowing reviews I have read on this setup. I am really not looking forward to tearing this thing apart to diagnose the problem, but at this point all I can think of is to turn the fly again and possibly see if Import image will replace the clutch under warranty.

BTW only 2500 miles so far.

Fully engaged the clutch holds power like a champ, no slipping whatsoever in any gear. I have owned dozens of manual transmission automobiles so I would like to think I know how to shift correctly.

Thoughts?

Walker

• 5 weeks later...

walker I am in Kansas City area with same setup, send me a PM maybe we can hook up to listen/take a look at your car.

I have the deceleration noise and its pretty much normal from the long thread on Nasioc

Here is some info from ACT and a video link of the noise most people are getting:

Deceleration noise (or other gear noises) occurs because of engine pulses being transmitted to the transmission gears. Of course the engine pulses (torsional vibrations) are influenced by a number of things such as compression, boost, timing, cams, etc. What normally helps to dampen these torsional vibrations out are the springs in the clutch disc and the heavy weight of the flywheel. In the case of the 06 thread you reference, keep in mind that the Exedy aftermarket replacement clutch is different from the stock clutch. The stock Subie (Exedy manfactured) clutch conforms to stricter standards and specifications. The OE clutch has a "wide angle damper" design which may or may not be the case with the replacement part. I don't know the exact details in this case without looking at the parts, but we have seen this all the time. Just because it says Exedy doesn't mean it is the same as OE. In some cases the automaker prevents the clutch manufacturer from offering the same part on the aftermarket, since they have a lot invested in testing, tuning the dampening, etc so they can only offer a similar part. Sometimes the clutch manfacturer changes the design on their aftermarket replacement parts to save costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5X-TprdLcM&feature=player_embedded#at=11

• 9 months later...
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but can some of you guys report on how many miles you currently have on the ACT HD clutch? I've recently been wondering how long to expect it to last for (I've been running the HD + LWFW for 10k~15k miles), and have read a couple of people who have had theirs die at 30k miles...

Walker... I've got the same setup as you... except I put a new '06 WRX FW in.

No chatter except on initial engagement when cold (first few starts in the morning). Other than that... not issues at all.

2500 miles so far....

• 2 weeks later...

Its not an uncommon issue to hear to TOB with an aftermarket setup. Mine has made the constant, annoying cricket/chirping sound since my setup was installed.

Can anyone update how theirs is doing after having it for many thousands of miles?

Its not an uncommon issue to hear to TOB with an aftermarket setup. Mine has made the constant, annoying cricket/chirping sound since my setup was installed.

Can anyone update how theirs is doing after having it for many thousands of miles?

I have had my CM FX300 setup for years with no problem. No, weird sounds.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Thanks, I'll just wait to get a new clutch then and do the whole package when that day comes.

Thats fine to do that but if you get ANY I MEAN ANY squeaking from your TOB in cold weather or warm for that matter. Pull it out and do the kit.

When it starts to make noise if you keep driving it, it doesn't take long to chew into the snout.

You will be able to tell because when it squeaks, you can slightly put pressure on the foot pedal and it will go away. If that happens get it out quick.

• 5 years later...

Archived