LegacyGT.com

ACT HD clutch with tsk3 kit review

05lgt5spd

Just ordered the tsk3 to go with an ACT HD setup. My local shop has a low mileage '07 WRX FW that will be resurfaced and put in as well. Getting it for $75.

I'm also helping with the install. Should be ~ $1150 for everything installed. :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet I think I have all these parts on order, im just a bit confused about the name Act names there clutches. I got the Performance street disc (SB5-HDSS) from Act. can someone clarify for me if thats the same thing as the hdmm (i think they just changed the name) regardless this setup should work, correct? HD Act clutch, 06 Wrx flywheel and tsk3 all for a 05 Lgt... could someone please clarify this for me.

Sweet I think I have all these parts on order, im just a bit confused about the name Act names there clutches. I got the Performance street disc (SB5-HDSS) from Act. can someone clarify for me if thats the same thing as the hdmm (i think they just changed the name) regardless this setup should work, correct? HD Act clutch, 06 Wrx flywheel and tsk3 all for a 05 Lgt... could someone please clarify this for me.

I'm pretty sure you're right. If you read the description for the "street modified" ACT clutch on the Fred Beans website it still refers to it as the "MM".

Modified Street Disc

420 ft/lbs

ACT's Modified Street friction surface is ... The MM disc provides quicker engagement than a stock...

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1410/ACT-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Ordered mine today, Clutch going in thursday or Friday. Possbily monday if the parts dont get here in time.

I also am putting in the TSK3 kit. Funny thing is my car was build date of 12/04 and they checked my vin and it was still the TSK3.

Anyway I really think the TSK3 kit will solve some of the noise issues people are having. We shall see.

Can you guys post how much labor you are being charged to install the clutch?

Funny thing is my car was build date of 12/04 and they checked my vin and it was still the TSK3.

Why do you find this funny? I found this description of the TSK3 kit:

Trans Snout Kit fits all Subaru 2005 and up turbo models with push style clutch except STi.

Is yours not an '05? ;)

I agree there is definitely some misunderstanding going on with these kits. Perhaps a stickied announcement needs to be posted for all members. :D;)

Cheers!

Why do you find this funny? I found this description of the TSK3 kit:

Trans Snout Kit fits all Subaru 2005 and up turbo models with push style clutch except STi.

Is yours not an '05? ;)

I agree there is definitely some misunderstanding going on with these kits. Perhaps a stickied announcement needs to be posted for all members. :D;)

Cheers!

Figure of speech, just pointing out that the instructions were not correct in my case. If you read the listing it says that anything before Jan 2005 is the tsk2 kit anything after is the tsk3. Mine was Dec 2004 but was still the tsk3 kit when they checked it against my VIN

Well had the clutch and 06 flywheel installed today. It is quite a bit stiffer pedal feel IMO. Maybe it will loosen up a bit as its broken in. Only have about 50 miles on it. First time I pulled out of the parking lot I killed it, like others reported. The way to describe this thing is ON or OFF. It is really grabby. I mean when you are shifting through the gears, when you push the clutch in the revs of the motor quit instantly and then when you let it out it is locked on that flywheel. Should be great with my 350/373 stage 3. The clutch engagement is really close to the top of the pedal travel. In other words with the pedal all the way up you dont have to push it in far to shift.

My old clutch stock clutch had 117000 on it and it was more toward the bottom of the travel.

I will say it has a bit more noise to it when declerating. It has a sort of rattle to it like a heat shield type rattle sort of.

I think when you take the dual mass flywheel out though, from what I understand it is alot less forgiving. So I think we are hearing more vibrations coming from the motor/flywheel. Here is a thread about it.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105571

I do have the STI group N motor and tranny mounts though, and that could be part of it as well.

Im not really sure I like the noise on deceleration but the grippy clutch, and getting rid of the 450 dollar flywheel is nice.

I did intall mine with the TSK3 kit and do not hear any noises coming from the throwout bearing at all.

I really think this should be a pretty much mandatory mod when installing a clutch. The bearing in the TSK3 kit actually clips to the fork, so the bearing is not just floating in there. It actually moves with the fork now.

Anyway Ill shall see what it does/feels like over the next few hundred miles and report back

Thought I would post this here a well, posted it in the clutch rattle thread:

Here is a thread on NASIOC about similar noise on the WRX. Early posts are from 01, but it gets up to 09 by the end. Long thread.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103494

If you search WRX deceleration noise on NASIOC you will find many threads. Seems its a common problem on the WRX, and since we now have WRX clutch......

Alright!

So I finally got this setup installed today. ACT SB5-HDSS, TSK3, and Oem Wrx Flywheel.

Supposedly I was the first guy in Kelowna to try this setup at the Subaru dealership and they almost didn't want to install it for me because they didn't think it would work. They took extra precautions/measurements because they were worried about the flywheel bolts not clearing with the Pressure plate or clutch? I can't remember. All in all everything turned out to fit proper and I was proven right :) lol (Thanks to all of you ofcourse!)

Anyways, my thoughts;

When I was driving home from the shop the first 10 or so kilometers, I decided that I loved this setup wayyy better. But near the end of my trip I noticed that the car makes a sort of vibrating noise if it's in too high of a gear and not high enough rpm's (example: 4th gear 1900 to about 2400 rpm)... Although In second gear it seems like it makes the noise/vibration if I go a bit "heavy" on the gas pedal even if the rpm's are over 2500. I don't know if that's normal or if it'll go away.

I know everyone is saying not to judge it until after 500 miles or so, I really have my fingers crossed here because I'm sure it'll annoy me if it stays that way.

In general tho, the clutch feel is much, much! better than stock and I actually prefer the clutch pedal feel and engagement as compared to stock. Overall good setup.

I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes after the break in.

Cheers

Also I'm not sure If I should post this here or not, but maybe some1 can help me out.

I'm a little bit paranoid about the break in and this is the first time I've ever broken in a clutch. Is there anything special that needs to be done other than just drive it extremely soft for the first 500 or so kms?

Basically what I'm doing is trying to release the clutch slowly after engaging in a gear and go really easy on my take offs (maybe 1800 rpm's to get going). Also I'm afraid of stepping on the gas hard when I'm in a gear with the clutch fully disengaged, or even going highway speeds, I don't know if that matters anything or not? Could someone please give me some pointers, I'd really appreciate it. I've heard horror stories if its not done properly.

To my knowledge, you want to get on and off the clutch pedal as quickly (and smoothly) as possible. Minimize slipping in any gear and occasion. Launch from a stop using modest RPMs (for instance, some people launch by revving up to 2500 rpms and slipping the clutch out...try not to exceed 1500 rpms).

What you are trying to accomplish is to not overheat the clutch. Not hard to break it in properly, so don't sweat it too much.

^ That's what I go with, too.

And yes, bignick, it's a fine balance between overheating the clutch, and getting it to break in faster. :) 300-500 city miles is the old adage, and is indeed what ACT recommends (they're on the lower end of that border, at 300).

Save the hard launches (whether you like to slip, or if favor the sidestep) and hard pulls for later. 300 city-miles is pretty easy, even for a low-mileage commuter like me. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Ordered mine today, Clutch going in thursday or Friday. Possbily monday if the parts dont get here in time.

I also am putting in the TSK3 kit. Funny thing is my car was build date of 12/04 and they checked my vin and it was still the TSK3.

Anyway I really think the TSK3 kit will solve some of the noise issues people are having. We shall see.

Can you guys post how much labor you are being charged to install the clutch?

TSK3? What is that?

Archived