LegacyGT.com

2008 and 2009 owners: beware of bad internals

So let me get this straight, my AVO drop in filter can make my engine go boom?

Unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. Simple logic dictates that any time you fuss with the AFR, it opens up that possibility. You play the odds. ;)

And, is this only for 08-09 model years or build dates of 08 and later? My build date is Oct-07

The "Stop Sale" covered from a certain point in '08 (check the VIN range), to an unspecified time-point:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85483&highlight=stop+sale

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So let me get this straight, my AVO drop in filter can make my engine go boom? I don't even drive the car hard at all.

I put in a K&N panel filter when I first bought the car. The tuner said the car was running on the lean side. I only ran it that way for a month before going stage 2, so I don't know how it would have affected things over the long haul if I simply ran it stock + panel filter from the beginning.

I would guess many are running stock plus a panel filter. I would think it's not the best for the engine.

Any filter/intake set up other than OEM (even a Purolator OEM replacement in the stock box, I checked) will cause the MAF scaling to be off and the car to run lean. Any change to the intake, including a drop in filter other than OEM MIGHT require a re-tune.

Yes I friggin said it. A Purolator OEM replacement air filter flows more air than stock and causes a lean condition. I logged it. Because of this I ONLY use OEM replacement filters in my stock airbox tuned car (what was in when it was tuned).

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Sorry to hear that. If you are running any map other than stock, I would invest in logging software and run a Learning View on a regular basis. No matter how good the "tuner" or "map" is supposed to be, I would not trust my engine health to them (or it) blindly. An 09 with a blown engine - that's terrible. Sorry again.

If it was due to bad internals, I don't know how that's handled if your running a non-stock map. You may be out of luck. But, if you can prove your VIN was within the window of potential "bad" engines, maybe you have chance. And (not to deceive Subaru), I would get that map flashed back to stock.

KC was your engine in the recall numbers? If so, you might not have to be the one paying for it even if you had mods

The problem is that it wasn't really a recall - it was a "preemptive" "Stop-Sale" order.

I truly hope that KC's dealership will simply "take care of it." Honestly, given how the majority of us who've had this problem on our various "Stop-Sale" affected (or "nearby") vehicles have been afforded the red-carpet treatment, I think that'll be the case.

Best of luck, KC, and keep us informed, please! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So my car is a 2008. Vin 214294 date 09/07. Does that mean I am less likely to have a ringland failure?

Mine was also built before the stealth recall, I figure it can't be bad to

not be on that list!

• 1 month later...

Quick Question, hope I'm wrong.

When I start my car in the mornings (garaged, so not that cold) I swear I hear a knock sound. I had an engine grenade in an S-10 a loooong time ago, and the sound is pretty similar to the knocking that I heard there. The car has 56,xxx miles on it, never missed a service, never been late for an oil change. I have been STG II for about 10,000 miles. I drive the car aggressively, but I don't beat on it, never tracked it, and always let it warm up before I drive away. Yay for remote starts, they make warm-up easy. 95% of my commute is 55 or 65 mph highways or county roads, very boring.

Should I be concerned, or am I just being paranoid because I'm about a month away from being out of warranty.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick Question, hope I'm wrong.

When I start my car in the mornings (garaged, so not that cold) I swear I hear a knock sound. I had an engine grenade in an S-10 a loooong time ago, and the sound is pretty similar to the knocking that I heard there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXQ1llwkhk&feature=related]YouTube- Another 2009 WRX engine bites the dust: 3.27.09 [1861miles][/ame]

^ Although the '09 WRXs have a different problem, in terms of its etiology (or so I've been told, from the people who participate in the NASIOC thread I cited earlier, regarding the '09 WRX problems), than those vehicles covered under the 2008-origin "Stop Sale," that's pretty much exactly what Sara's '09 FXT sounded like, when the problem manifest.

AFAIK, there was never a conclusive "back end" given to the build-date or VIN-range. :confused:

56K miles would be very, very late for your engine to exhibit the specific problem that this particular "Stop Sale" tried to cover for. It's unlikely.

However, IMveryHO, given the documented increasing mileage/age at which such issues have manifest, I'd also say that it's far from impossible.

I wish I knew what to tell you. :redface:

Post your build date its on your driver's door

The only thing I saw resembling a date was 06/07

I'm going to assume that means June of 2007 (I bought it in August of 2007) as a 2008 MY.

That video sounds just like what I'm hearing, thankfully, mine isn't that bad yet.

Supposedly my dealership is Stage II friendly. They sell AP's in the parts dept. Gonna have an unofficial lookover by a Subaru mechanic, and if he gives me bad news I'll probably go back to stock before I file anything. Good thing I'm picking up a new DD in a bout 12 hours. Driving 6 hours to snag a Ford Ranger (no jokes, they're great for what they are:)) that I got a really good deal on. And then 6 hours back. I'll start dealing with this next week. Till then, the Black Lego is grounded in her garage.

I'll keep you all posted, and probably start a thread to document my ordeal.

Just out of curiosity, and OT....supposing I do get a new motor out of the deal, think there would be a market for it if I chose to go the built motor/tranny route?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

40k on my ~March 27, 2008 Legacy GT that was in the official range. Stop sale was announced 2 days after I drove it home, which was 2 days after it came off the truck.

No questionable sounds :)

16k miles ago, I would have said the same thing. I'm just glad it blew up now...instead of in a few months :eek:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived