LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

FWIW, my co-worker is looking to replace his previous generation Mitsu Galant. For a longer while since moving to NE he was thinking of getting a Subaru. He went to test drive new Legacy and new Outback. He said "I can't get over how ugly they are now... they look like Ford... designed for Americans" (more or less exact quote). He also lamented that all non-luxury sedan import cars are now ugly, boring and oversized these days.

His requirements are fairly simple: 6-cylinder engine, auto non-CVT transmission, decent size, but not ginormous. He looked at my wagon and concluded there is enough space for his 6'3' frame and two kids in boosters in the back. He is trying to find 2009 Legacy 3.0R sedan now...

Point is: some may like the new design, no doubt. They should put into their heads it's not just 4th generation owners who hate it.

funny how it's 4th gen owners who post things like this... I'm sure there was no bias in what you told him about the 2010 before he checked it out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
funny how it's 4th gen owners who post things like this... I'm sure there was no bias in what you told him about the 2010 before he checked it out.

:rolleyes: I think you overestimate my ability to influence others... :lol:

And, no, believe it or not, I had no idea he is car shopping. He only approached me after checking new Legacy and Outback.

I think it is somewhat simple. Basically (to me anyways) Subaru is a niche car company. With niche car companies it doesn't always appeal to the masses but has that hard core fan base (us for the most part). As soon as these car companies try to appeal to the masses they tend to lose that niche and in turn lose those hard core fans. That is what I believe is happening right now. The new Legacy may be an excellent automobile in it's own right but it isn't quite the same. Doesn't have that niche feeling anymore. For me, i hope this is just a momentary mistake.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. I don't know what Subarus financial status is. Other niche car companies have sold out, been bought out, or just went out of business. Niche may not be enough. Although, I believe Subaru is doing alright. I don't think Fuji Heavy Ind. is hurting.

this thread is hilarious. its only the 4th gen people who dont like the new legacy. have you looked at sales figures??

http://www.subaru.com/company/news/index.html

cliff notes: 2,448 2010 legacy sold in jan, 2010. 1,165 2009 legacy sold in jan 09. they must be doin something right. thats more than double for some of you math challenged guys

I am also a fan of the previous generation and not impressed with the newer ones in spite of the sales figures which I think can easily be attributed to Subaru's finally doing a TV advertising campaign after years

of no advertising!

Here's an idea, harrass the aftermarket producers until they start releasing body parts for the 2010 and beyond models. That way, the people on the boards can get all the things they want redesigned and stand out from the moms running around town in one.

You can buy aftermarket wheels, install an HID kit, buy an aftermarket grill, etc to get the look you want and be different than the average Legacy driver. If everyone's Legacy had what we all wanted as stock options, what would the upgrade enthusiasts do with their time.

The only thing that really bothers me with both the 4th and 5th gen Legacys is the stupid chrome accent wing on the grille. The same chrome accent that every single car out there has. But lucky for me, its not hard to find aftermarket stuff to get rid of that... problem solved.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I am also a fan of the previous generation and not impressed with the newer ones in spite of the sales figures which I think can easily be attributed to Subaru's finally doing a TV advertising campaign after years

of no advertising!

That's retarded. Subaru advertised the Legacy for all of one month before switching to the Outback and not advertising the Legacy at all until this month.

Mazda blasted the airwaves with mazda 6 commercials at a much higher frequency than Subaru and that car tanked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm much more a fan of the 5th generation Legacy - the 4th generation didn't interest me. In fact, I'm such a big fan of the 5th generation that I purchased a 2010 Legacy 3.6R.

The 2010 Legacy is an amazing car in many ways, but since you asked, here's what I'd like changed:

(1) More comfortable seats with better side bolstering, that are memory programmable.

(2) Slightly sportier suspension system (like the BMW 335xi has).

(3) Up-to-date Navigation DVD's with new cars (and less expensive map updates) - actually I'd like the maps on a single memory chip - forget the DVDs.

(4) Folding mirrors.

(5) Better integrated fenders (it's a sedan not an SUV).

(6) Quieter interior climate control fan.

(7) Standard HomeLink.

(8) Standard fog lights.

(9) Standard HID headlights.

(10) Radar cruise control (with anti-rear-end protection)

(11) Headlight washers.

(12) Auto rain sensing windshield wipers.

(13) Blind spot warning system.

(14) Parking sensors.

(15) A stereo system even more premium than the HK system.

(16) Maybe a carPC.

(17) An out-of-sight place to store some parking change.

(18) Brighter lighting in the trunk (maybe LED lighting).

(19) A little more horsepower and better fuel economy.

(20) Longer maintenance windows.

(21) Lower purchase prices in Canada.

(22) Standard spoilers on the premium/Limited models.

(23) Somthing nicer looking than the dash's wood trim.

(24) Standard lighting for console's the drink holders.

(25) Hidden roof rack adapter points like the BMW and WRX sedans have.

Sounds to me like someone wanted and Audi, BMW, or Benz. A lot of those features are only for luxury cars at this point (auto wipers,carPC, parking sensors, etc.). You even pointed out that the BMW had some of those features, so why not just buy one in the first place? There's a fine line between being an enthusiast of any brand and buying a piece of crap just because it has that brand's logo on it.

Sounds to me like someone wanted and Audi, BMW, or Benz. A lot of those features are only for luxury cars at this point (auto wipers,carPC, parking sensors, etc.). You even pointed out that the BMW had some of those features, so why not just buy one in the first place?

The thread topic asked for my wish list so I gave it. All the itmes I listed are fairly minor. I did cross-shop the luxury brands of cars, and in my opinion, the Subaru was the superior car so I purchaed it. Had I purchaed a different brand, I would have wished for Subaru reliability, Subaru all wheel drive, Subaru value for the money, Subaru ride quality, Subaru resale value, etc. As far as I'm concerned, I have one of the best cars that is available today. I am loving my Legacy 3.6R.

The thread topic asked for my wish list so I gave it. All the itmes I listed are fairly minor. I did cross-shop the luxury brands of cars, and in my opinion, the Subaru was the superior car so I purchaed it. Had I purchaed a different brand, I would have wished for Subaru reliability, Subaru all wheel drive, Subaru value for the money, Subaru ride quality, Subaru resale value, etc. As far as I'm concerned, I have one of the best cars that is available today. I am loving my Legacy 3.6R.

Sorry to have sounded like a d**khead. I agree that they are pretty minor details, but it just seemed like your list made BMW seem like the better choice. I hadn't heard any of your pros for a subie, just the cons of it.

I'm much more a fan of the 5th generation Legacy - the 4th generation didn't interest me. In fact, I'm such a big fan of the 5th generation that I purchased a 2010 Legacy 3.6R.

The 2010 Legacy is an amazing car in many ways, but since you asked, here's what I'd like changed:

(1) More comfortable seats with better side bolstering, that are memory programmable.

(2) Slightly sportier suspension system (like the BMW 335xi has).

(3) Up-to-date Navigation DVD's with new cars (and less expensive map updates) - actually I'd like the maps on a single memory chip - forget the DVDs.

(4) Folding mirrors.

(5) Better integrated fenders (it's a sedan not an SUV).

(6) Quieter interior climate control fan.

(7) Standard HomeLink.

(8) Standard fog lights.

(9) Standard HID headlights.

(10) Radar cruise control (with anti-rear-end protection)

(11) Headlight washers.

(12) Auto rain sensing windshield wipers.

(13) Blind spot warning system.

(14) Parking sensors.

(15) A stereo system even more premium than the HK system.

(16) Maybe a carPC.

(17) An out-of-sight place to store some parking change.

(18) Brighter lighting in the trunk (maybe LED lighting).

(19) A little more horsepower and better fuel economy.

(20) Longer maintenance windows.

(21) Lower purchase prices in Canada.

(22) Standard spoilers on the premium/Limited models.

(23) Somthing nicer looking than the dash's wood trim.

(24) Standard lighting for console's the drink holders.

(25) Hidden roof rack adapter points like the BMW and WRX sedans have.

I like this list as a good place to start. This thread is not quite about redesign, but offerings to complement Legacy interior, exterior, suspension ... This style is locked in for 4-5 years. Subaru made a commitment to offer a true midsized sedan. For me, I like it. The 5th gen does not have all of the options as the outgoing previous generation. It is frustraiting to read of the JDM offerings for this Legacy (including GT wagon). So first, SOA, provide access to JDM offerings.

As for redesign. I drove my 2007 OB last night with 4 adults. Driver and passenger must move the seats forward to accomodate the rear passengers. In the 2010 LGT, no changes, everyone is in full comfort. The 2010 LGT weight 49 lbs more than the 2009 6MT LGT, and 26 lbs less than the 5AT. Give Subaru redesign credit for addressing all the complaints about the Legacy/OB not fitting adults in the back seat. They did it with negligable gains in weight.

This is my 5th Subaru, begining with a 1996 OB. With every new generation, the redesigned Subaru has made improvements. The 2010 is no exception. In comparison to my 4th gen 2007 OB, interior is improved, the car very quiet on the road. The engine matched much better to transmission, the 4AT stinks. Never drove a 5AT, and well, that's an improvement as well. The 6MT shifts way smoother than in the 1999 LGT 5MT. The double wishbone suspension - big improvement. The brakes on my 2004 wagon were pathetic, and the rotors warped, replaced them, warped again. Subaru addressed this, and no issues in the 2007 OB; 2010 even better. I can go on. Top of class in saftey. They are using high strenth steel to reduce weight, reduce chassis roll.

So what does Subaru not do that would up thier game? Like Direct Injection?

Speed Sensitive Wipers.

I really don't like all those bells and whistles which drive the price up on a car anyway, but my 06 Eclipse had this feature, and it really sucked going BACK to the traditional wiper stalk.

Have you guys seen the new Suzuki? Even that is WAY better than the Legacy

http://jalopnik.com/5325829/suzuki-kizashi-leaks-one-day-early-years-too-late/gallery/

after 09 the Legacy is dead to me! Best looking imo is 08-09, they should have based the redesign/update after those model years.

Subaru needs to go back to the drawing board ...

haha yeah im just "mainstream" yeah fourth gen guys are the biggest bunch of ass clowns i have ever come across on a forum. its really a shame that the people who own subarus now are like this. you guys arent car people. all you want is to look cool rollin down the blvd, slammed on your coils, rollin expensive jdm parts. good luck getting subaru to redesign a vehicle cause of bunch of twats on a forum dont like it lol :lol:

the latest gen leg is an abomination get over it! :lol:

Umm how about a value-added post specific to redesign

Or simply ignore this thread, enjoy your Legacy, and find a different thread to contobute with something meaningful

If you haven't noticed, this subforum is full of many people with very large soap boxes. ;)

Some of whom have all but given up on buying another new, or even recently new Subaru product, if they aren't going to build anything appealing anymore.

All this success that they are enjoying, as other companies get reality checks... has yet to show even a sliver of resulting new and interesting product. They haven't even shown a peep toward the new Subaru FT86 project coupe, to know whether it is something worth looking forward to, or if it is going to be an econo-box car the size of a sardine can, just happening to have 2 doors.

I don't expect the Legacy to get much better, as to my surprise the new, de-contented, less sporty Legacy is outselling the old model. Subaru's strategy of going less premium and more "mainstream" (i.e. cheap) seems to be paying off.

Personally, I really dislike the e-brake, and it worries me that we have no manual overrides anymore as drivers, and are completely at the mercy of computers. I hope that the electronic parking brake doesn't get adopted industry wide. (I've always had that concern, but even moreso now with the Toyota issues that I believe have nothing to do with sticking pedals. I'd really like to know if it's true that even the transmission wouldn't respond in some of the runaway Toyota cases.)

The problem with all this is that we're the avid car enthusiasts that spend a couple thousand on upgrades and try to get the most out of our car. We try our best to be unique, and the new legacy just isn't unique and that's rather upsetting. Unfortunately our little band of enthusiasts is nothing compared to the mass market and all a company cares about is bottom line. It doesn't matter to them if they lose 500 of us, because we think they sold out, as long as they bring in 1000 more new consumers that just want a run of the mill family sedan with awd capabilities.

It sucks that we're getting pushed away, but Subaru's sales are up, so they can now afford to lose some of us.

Archived