LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just purchased a 2010 3.6R Limited. I downsized from a Ford Flex as I realized that I don't need the room, nor the extra high car payment and could not be happier. The two things I would change on this car is the interior noise level. I noticed the Flex has a door sill that rolls under the car that reduced road noise to the point that it was practically non-existant and especially impressive at the price point. I am not sure how cost effective this change would be versus other road noise dampening measures, but I found the noise change levels dramatic in the Flex. The other change I would make is to the brakes. They work fabulously, however, I have driven other cars with AWD and my favorite is when it feels that the rear brakes lower the rear end of the car and are stronger. I find it stops the car more effectively and makes for a smoother ride overall, which everyone appreciates as you have more control over the car. I don't know if this reccomendation would work for the particular model of car, but the principal works in many other disciplines where physics are an intregal part of success. I LOVE driving my car, those are just two ways I would improve it. I'm just a housewife, but love a nice ride and would love to see a good company continue to succeed. My humble two cents. :)

I just purchased a 2010 3.6R Limited. I downsized from a Ford Flex as I realized that I don't need the room, nor the extra high car payment and could not be happier. The two things I would change on this car is the interior noise level. I noticed the Flex has a door sill that rolls under the car that reduced road noise to the point that it was practically non-existant and especially impressive at the price point. I am not sure how cost effective this change would be versus other road noise dampening measures, but I found the noise change levels dramatic in the Flex. The other change I would make is to the brakes. They work fabulously, however, I have driven other cars with AWD and my favorite is when it feels that the rear brakes lower the rear end of the car and are stronger. I find it stops the car more effectively and makes for a smoother ride overall, which everyone appreciates as you have more control over the car. I don't know if this reccomendation would work for the particular model of car, but the principal works in many other disciplines where physics are an intregal part of success. I LOVE driving my car, those are just two ways I would improve it. I'm just a housewife, but love a nice ride and would love to see a good company continue to succeed. My humble two cents. :)

Welcome to the site. I believe what you are describing is nose dive under heavy braking. The major component that influences that would be your shocks/struts and springs. The car is pretty underdampened from the factory as is.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I'll take 2 of these please.

I take 2 as well. That way I can launch them full speed at each other and destroy 2 of those monstrocities in one crash.

its prettier than the current generation Holden HSV front bumper. it looks like someone pushed the front bumper grills inside out and has a bulged look. and i don't get why ford australia decided to stop making the falcon wagon.

I test drove a new Legacy for a day this week while my sweet 2006 Outback was in for a service. After 5 Subarus over 15 years this was the first that made me feel Subaru had lost the magic. It was almost as interesting as a Toyota Camry. Subies are often bought in spite of their looks, not always because of them. But like so many other drivers, this one has lost me completely. Only a mother could love it. At least the unloved pig-nose first Tribeca was unique...this Legacy is B L A N D. And the drive was, ummm nothing you could really fault, but it completely failed to engage my interest. Like a cardigan and slippers Camry. Usually I'm thrilled to drive a new Subaru. Oh-oh...was it designed by focus groups?

Subaru are you listening? New sheet metal and quick smart. Or I'm about to break the habit of over 15 years and get a Mazda. On a planet of so much automotive mediocrity you have been a torchbearer. Often bold and often unique, sometime wrong but NEVER boring. My test drive felt like a funeral.

It's not just the sheetmetal which reminds me of a bloated "must-change" Huggies diaper. And it's too big. Inside? The shifter bruised my hand. The parking brake was a joke. The interior looked like it designed by my son. I'm predicting a black market in low-mileage previous models.

pwp

:lol:

In his defense, if you were to read the 5th gen "owners age" thread, you'd be fairly safe to assume this place is a sausage fest. But seriously, how did you manage to bruise yourself on a shifter? As for the brake, I don't understand the hate, I was used to it in a day or 2.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

wow why did i read all that. instead of getting a new $25000 and a new car that you don't like. do this. get a 25000 loan and spend 3 grand on a 2nd generation legacy and drop it off at the sealer ship with 10 grand and tell them to restore the hell of it. new motor and everything. and that the left over money and personalize it. and for the money thats left. go the strip club

Seriously, you just came in here throwing some hyperbole out since you didn't like the car. Guess what -- your car is a giant turd compared to the 1st gen Legacy. It's a big lead filled pile of mashed potatoes compared to it.

The vitriol is hilarious, people just want to come by and drop bombs at any chance. Guess what -- if you don't like it, you're not obligated to by it. There will still be used Subarus out there to drive and if you want to spend the money, you can do what amp27 suggests.

Plus this thread is about "redesigning" the Legacy, not talking about a crippling vitamin K deficiency that leaves you bruised from shifter action.

Some pretty outrageous ideas above. I was trying to keep it more on the front of making the 2010 model better. Things like sheet metal and bumper revisions. I'm not even going to touch the interior...I don't have a way really, to design/sketch that. I mean the ideas are good, and I am not going to stop the whole thought process.

Anyhow, below is a first attempt at some revisions:

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage1.jpg

the above reworked the front sheet metal to pull the arch smoothly into the front fender. I increased the size of the faux brake duct inlets and added a center bulge the hood. I increased the size of the wheels and showed them with a little bit wider tire as well, to fill the wells better. I think they're 18" as standard on the GT, so assume 19" or 20" here. Also, I changed the side sills to be a little beefier. I also added the signals on the mirrors (I never knew this was so important to people). Oh, and I quickly tinted the headlights, but they don't look all that great attm. I'll have to try a different technique to show those better.

Add: Deleted the 'wings' in the front grill....although looks a little Ford(ish)

Edit: Fixed headlights

Now if it includes at least 300 hp off the show room floor ??? Id

take one home.

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked and the first couple pages of this post, but must agree and disagree!!!

Turn signal mirros I agree, BUT the swoop coupe(sedan) design of the Sonata was what made me trade in my 2006 Sonata for a Subaru instead of a 2011 Sonata. (Same with 2011 Buick Regal) Ease of entry/exit is much easier in the 2011 Legacy. That is why I just ordered one for delivery Oct/Nov.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
During an interview with AutoWeek' date=' Osamu Namba, 54 years old, General manager of the design department has announced that the company is working on a [b']new design strategic direction in order to widen its customer base[/b].

Namba revealed that the new models will feature simple and clean lines.

The family-design will build on the latest Legacy sedan and Outback wagon, with some modifications, in order to achieve a stronger presence, thanks to more defined elements, include the front fascia, bumpers and a side accent line.

Link to full story: http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2009/10/subaru-hybrid-tourer-concept-design/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived