LegacyGT.com

Brake lines for Brembos

PhilT

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had a peek at the brake lines when I switched rims yesterday.

Is there any reason why we can't just make one longer line but still have a captive nut to hold the line in place on the trailing arm (like imprezas have on the rear strut)?

I would think this would increase the flexibility of installing the calipers or change pads on a stock setup. Just knock out the locking tab and you have a nice long line.

Just seems like a lot of work/cost to have an extra set of fittings.

I am scheduled to go under the rear of the car this week to lube the PU bushings in my sway bars. I can make a mock from the hard line to the rear Brembo using a clear tube or even a string just so we have an exact measurement.

I took some pics, haven't had chance to upload them yet, but I can confirm that adding STI fitting to LGT's length line will make matters worse (if not impossible to fit).

STI fitting and shortening the line is the ticket.

Here is a picture of the line (Goodridge SS line). As you could imagine keeping the line length same, but using straight fitting would make matter worse and force the line to bend too much.

line.thumb.jpg.588191946712de8b12b8fbce5afe69d1.jpg

Yes, but Im waiting for some exact measurements.....

magnetic1, it may take a while but I'll take the old stock line, I'll cut it to the needed length, then duct tape it - then I can sent to you so Technafit can use it as a template.

magnetic1, it may take a while but I'll take the old stock line, I'll cut it to the needed length, then duct tape it - then I can sent to you so Technafit can use it as a template.

nice! ill check it out when i rotate my tire this weekend as well. i got both oem and the lgt technica fit rear lines laying around.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 2 weeks later...

So after checking out the rear lines while rotating my tires this is what I found out. Basically same as unclemat was saying, but figured this rough drawing would help explain it. I'm prob just going to mount mine like #2 not sure why people turn the line and go under the brembo tabs and run similar to the oem routing, but with a much more drastic bend.

All we need is the same lgt braided setup just shorter. seems like about 2" for now but couldn't get an exact measurement.

405423549_bremborearline.jpg.dad11fc4021d9d218eec0d133b1c52ee.jpg

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

VXCL nailed it w/ the fabulous MS paint SKILLAZZZZZZ...

Anyways....I will take measurements via photo's with a ruler up to the lines this weekend as I am swapping over to a black set of brembo's versus the goldies on the car now.

Stay tuned.

I tried to check my rear pads today and I noticed that the upper shaft hits the brake line when you pull it out. I could not get the inner pad out but was able to pull the outer because the shaft only goes out halfway.

I think this is more compelling reason why we should change the rear lines for correct fitment to the caliper.

I tried to check my rear pads today and I noticed that the upper shaft hits the brake line when you pull it out. I could not get the inner pad out but was able to pull the outer because the shaft only goes out halfway.

I think this is more compelling reason why we should change the rear lines for correct fitment to the caliper.

which way is you line run? like 1 or 2? i havent seen anyone run it like in #2 but thats what im going to try as it doesnt have the extreme bend like in #1. did not check on this pins though. ill find out tomorrow :) cant wait to work on the drum e brakes should be super fun.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I did mine like #1. I don't think #2 is possible.

Oh, can you also measure the correct line fitment? I forgot to do mine.

autox ran long on sat so i didnt get to do the brakes. as far as #2 i held the caliper and line in place when i rotated my wheels and everything lined up nicely. not going to rub on anything either, but an inch or two shorter would be much better.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I finally made some measurements using automotive wire.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x6/Lukipooh/IMG_4735.jpg

Measured from hex at the hard line joint to the center of the banjo bolt. Looks like 7.5" is the length to use. Can anyone confirm or double check?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x6/Lukipooh/IMG_4737.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x6/Lukipooh/IMG_4735.jpg

The lgt brake line should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise where it mounts to the caliper banjo bolt. Then its just a straight shot back to the hard line. Why have the ridiculous right angle bend in the line? So just like how the green wire is shaped but have the hard line do that part.

good work. I would have done this but i hit a divider avoiding a deer and think my car is totaled. The rears just never made it on.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The lgt brake line should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise where it mounts to the caliper banjo bolt. Then its just a straight shot back to the hard line. Why have the ridiculous right angle bend in the line? So just like how the green wire is shaped but have the hard line do that part.

Yup. This weekend I finally will have chance to mock up the actual line - I'll have an old stock line cut & taped to proper length (atc5 - ;) )

good work. I would have done this but i hit a divider avoiding a deer and think my car is totaled. The rears just never made it on.

:eek: :eek: What? Sorry to hear that man, but good you're alright :spin:

Good info to know. I was going to have a local shop simply make me a custom set of lines.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived