LegacyGT.com

Edmunds first drive of 2010 LGT - They love it!

JoeFromPA

Hmmm- actually the article- in case you missed it the first few times- says every other component is new - including the piston design.

So its more than just the manifold eh? And yes it does make more power, 281 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, they say that in the article as well -but hey you probably missed that too...

:icon_idea

Well to be honest, how accurate do you think the information is in that article?:icon_idea

Do you recall any previous 256HP turbo versions of the Legacy?

These little web previews have always been a source of misinformation. Just wait and the real information will come out soon enough.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People mentioning power: to me, the biggest upside to this redesign (on paper at least) is the torque curve. If full torque comes on at 2000 rpms and stays into the 4000s, then this is going to be a far different driving experience....especially if the car is only 44 pounds heavier than the outgoing model as Edmunds says.

My stock LGT feels downright soggy on power due to the turbo lag and torque curve.

As a purely accelerative example, the ~2007 G35 and BMW 335 had similar max output, but the 335 tended to have better 0-60, 1/4 mile times as well as better in-gear pulls like 30-70, 50-75, etc....

Simply because it's max torque was available much, much sooner. So that gives me hope for the 6mt version of the Leggy :)

Someone who asked about hood height - They raised the hood 3+ inches due to european pedestrian safety requirements. Yeah. Farking pedestrians.

Rao - Just curious, what would you consider a "heavily revised engine" to be? I mean, lets say 2 engines had the same displacement and were both boxer in design...what would make it heavily revised to you?

From the article:

With the hood about 3.7 inches taller than before to accommodate more stringent regulations for pedestrian safety in crashes, the designers have had to wrap the headlights around the front end.

Uh, why did they have to do that, exactly? There's no reason that they had to give the car ungainly looking stretched back bugeye headlight assemblies.

Kind off goes counter intuitive to the whole lower center of gravity engine stick they've been spewing for the last decade. If the engine is more or less the same does the new height of the car make the previous gen a better handling car?? Hmmm, the past Subaru commercials would make you think so no?? :)

Kind off goes counter intuitive to the whole lower center of gravity engine stick they've been spewing for the last decade. If the engine is more or less the same does the new height of the car make the previous gen a better handling car?? Hmmm, the past Subaru commercials would make you think so no??

...it's my understanding that despite a higher hood the revised engine cradle actually allows the engine to sit lower than the previous gen car. Coupled w/the revised suspension and apparent minimal weight gain it's quite possible that the '10 is a more dynamic handling car then the out going model.

Kind off goes counter intuitive to the whole lower center of gravity engine stick they've been spewing for the last decade. If the engine is more or less the same does the new height of the car make the previous gen a better handling car?? Hmmm, the past Subaru commercials would make you think so no?? :)

Well I´m sure wont gain any handling of a higher hood and roofline, but if the chassibase, engine and the whole driveline in as low or lower than current model, and thats where most of the weight is.

edit: I was late, and concur with syndicate... obviously :) [/url]

...it's my understanding that despite a higher hood the revised engine cradle actually allows the engine to sit lower than the previous gen car. Coupled w/the revised suspension and apparent minimal weight gain it's quite possible that the '10 is a more dynamic handling car then the out going model.

With *every* new release of a car Subaru claims the engine sits lower :rolleyes: Frakking marketing crap. It's damn freaking low already. Without compromising ground clearance it ain't going any lower.

Guest heightsgtltd

Don't forgot Syndicate is just one of us ;):lol:

I have to say the looks of the Sti modified wagon are growing on me a bit.. but the USDM version still does nothing for me whatsoever..

I got the opportunity to see/sit in/check out a new 2010 Legacy 3.6R last Thursday. Let me tell you, anyone that said, "oh, just wait till you see it, you'll change your mind was completely wrong." If anything I despise it even more. It's a certifiable BOAT. You could put 3 NFL linebackers comfortably in the back seat the car is so large. I mean if you're looking for an AWD Camry, you're set, otherwise forget it. The new front seats are beyond awful, no side bolsters whatsoever. They're like bench seats. It has COMPLETELY lost the "sport" in sport sedan. :( The ONLY thing I can say I like about it is the honeycomb plastic mesh in the grille, woohoo! lol

Rao - Just curious, what would you consider a "heavily revised engine" to be? I mean, lets say 2 engines had the same displacement and were both boxer in design...what would make it heavily revised to you?

It doesn't matter here because the ENGINE IS ALL NEW, every single part except for the block casting. I mean redesigned nuts, bolts, head gaskets everything. Truly amazing.

Don't forgot Syndicate is just one of us ;):lol:

I have to say the looks of the Sti modified wagon are growing on me a bit.. but the USDM version still does nothing for me whatsoever..

Same here... the big question for me is what engine to choose. 3.6 NA(we´ll see if its just avalible in the outback) or the turbo-4. Sweden never got the former GT, but if that´s also the case this autumn my subbie dealer could get one from a region that does.

It doesn't matter here because the ENGINE IS ALL NEW, every single part except for the block casting. I mean redesigned nuts, bolts, head gaskets everything. Truly amazing.

Wow, no wonder they had to de-content the rest of the car. They spent so much time re-engineering those plastic pop rivets! Maybe now our engine covers will retain their fasteners for 50,000 miles and beyond!

:)

Joe

so, jdm legacy gets the 04 sti work-up (281 hp) & the usdm legacy get last years wrx work-up (265 hp)?

...it's a nominal difference in hp and in N.America 265hp is class competitive.

I got the opportunity to see/sit in/check out a new 2010 Legacy 3.6R last Thursday. Let me tell you, anyone that said, "oh, just wait till you see it, you'll change your mind was completely wrong." If anything I despise it even more. It's a certifiable BOAT. You could put 3 NFL linebackers comfortably in the back seat the car is so large. I mean if you're looking for an AWD Camry, you're set, otherwise forget it. The new front seats are beyond awful, no side bolsters whatsoever. They're like bench seats. It has COMPLETELY lost the "sport" in sport sedan. :( The ONLY thing I can say I like about it is the honeycomb plastic mesh in the grille, woohoo! lol

OMG Captainhook! You can't post up your experiences for another month or so!!

Didn't you read the fine print on the NDA you signed before getting some seat time?!

Subaru will be suing you!!:lol:

Guest heightsgtltd
...it's a nominal difference in hp and in N.America 265hp is class competitive.

It's not nominal actually. 265 is class competitive for a Camry or accord V6 :) and not a "sports sedan"

It's not nominal actually. 265 is class competitive for a Camry or accord V6 :) and not a "sports sedan"

...imho 16hp is nominal. Also, 265hp is class competitive (especially w/AWD and lightweight)...looking at true sports sedans the B8 A4 makes barely above 200hp, 328xi makes 230hp, and the G37 328hp. I think those expecting a 300hp Legacy GT in N.America are only fooling themselves (granted I'd really like to be proven incorrect by SOA)...265hp is beyond adequete for sporty driving. While the JDM models have basically always made more power, the market is simply very different there.

Since we're arguing about HP here and what the difference is.....from what I've read, it's purely due to Japan having the equivalent of 93 octane universally available, whereas ours must be set for 91 octane. Just an ECU difference; which can therefore be easily exploited :)

Guest heightsgtltd
...imho 16hp is nominal. Also, 265hp is class competitive (especially w/AWD and lightweight)...looking at true sports sedans the B8 A4 makes barely above 200hp, 328xi makes 230hp, and the G37 328hp. I think those expecting a 300hp Legacy GT in N.America are only fooling themselves (granted I'd really like to be proven incorrect by SOA)...265hp is beyond adequete for sporty driving. While the JDM models have basically always made more power, the market is simply very different there.

OK,

The 16 may sound nominal but it isn't when you are trying to differentiate yourself from competitors..oh wait, maybe you I mean SOA isn't.

Please explain how it makes sense to you that the WRX has the same engine and hp as the Legacy GT :munch:

and it would be good to look at other cars in your comparison like the Genesis, CTS, G37, Passat and others that make 280hp or more since you are now comparing to the A4 and 3 series BMW

I am looking forward to an in depth analysis of the newly designed valve springs and other newly designed engine parts.

But rao, just wait for....

.... a whole new variety of threads debating the best motor oil and filters to provide the best protection for them :rolleyes:.

The JDM version is palatable. Not great looking, but palatable compared to the USDM model.

And there is automatic. WTF!!!!

If we could get 99% of the JDM model in the USA (The 1% being bumper, DOT mods etc etc), I would buy it. It has the power, tranny, tech toys and performance I am looking for in a car, and a look I can live with.

The USDM version doesnt.

That's pretty much it.

Archived