LegacyGT.com

Edmunds first drive of 2010 LGT - They love it!

JoeFromPA

My sofa is bigger and more comfortable than my '05 LGT, it is also made of better quality materials.

I don't want to drive it though. :spin:

Quote of the day.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that it will most likely be watered down from the jdm version, but overall I see this a VERY positive news for the new 2010 US LGT. All the right ingredients are there and not there:

> Bigger/more comfortable in almost every way

> Upgraded interior materials

> More HP from a heavily revised motor (265+?)

> Major redesign of the suspension-including double wishbones in the rear!

> Only 30lbs of extra weight!:eek:

IMHO, I always felt weight was going to be the real enemy of this incoming "bigger, better" model. But if what Edmunds is saying is correct about the minimal weight increase, and assuming a significantly stiffened body structure- it will be next to impossible for SOA to waterdown the 2010 US model to the point where is not a significantly better driver than the current model. More power, stiffer body, better suspension, and almost sero extra weight...sounds promising to me!

I still reserve my 'love it or hate it' design opinion until I see a full US production model in person. But overall I like what I see so far...

Meh... the only significant change was the turbo system. The rear suspension is from the GR Impreza which is basically a BL/BP Legacy but with that double wishbone suspension. IMO, it is not any better then the multilink found on the BL/BP

The weight, I'll make a judgement when we get the NHTSA listings.

Guest heightsgtltd
According to Edmunds, who for some reason think its good to test a JDM model for the US market :lol:

Heavily revised motor? :lol:

umm?

"This engine might employ its predecessor's engine block, but every other component is new, including the piston design, cylinder heads, cam profiles, intake manifold and electronically controlled throttle. Of special note is the redesigned turbo, which now sits low down at the front of the engine bay, where it's a lot closer to the exhaust ports, a modification that helps reduce turbo lag."

My sofa is bigger and more comfortable than my '05 LGT, it is also made of better quality materials.

I don't want to drive it though. :spin:

Off the lot the current LGT comes under-sprung, under-damped, and under-tired. The only thing the stock LGT has going for it performance wise is AWD and a favorable power to weight ratio. All I am saying is that appears Subaru has taken steps in the right direction to address these issues.

What you do with your couch is your business! :lol:

"rockets to 60 mph from a standstill in a breath over 5 seconds."

Could this be real??? Equipped with one of the slowest AT on the market in this segment of car it sounds remarkble. I have not heard of any upgrades of the 5AT since 3.6 Tribeca and that was smaller adjustment that was´nt primary for performance.

Wrong info? :confused: - Upgraded AT without any info what so ever? :confused: - Extreme pull in the updated 2.5GT? :confused:

Edit: "in a breath over"? ...well of course, I can hold a breath for about 30 seconds :)

Guest heightsgtltd
That would be interesting esp. since the AT got slower after the 05 model year in the GT. Then again it does have more HP..

"This styling nuance makes the Legacy seem uncomfortably tall and gives it a look that's more like a crossover than a sport sedan." :lol:

That's the bottom line for me. I refuse to buy a car that's uglier than the one I have, regardless of how good it might be. I'll be shooting for a BMW for my next car thanks to Subaru ruining the Legacy's previously sleek, clean, sporty appearance.

From the article:

With the hood about 3.7 inches taller than before to accommodate more stringent regulations for pedestrian safety in crashes, the designers have had to wrap the headlights around the front end.

Uh, why did they have to do that, exactly? There's no reason that they had to give the car ungainly looking stretched back bugeye headlight assemblies.

This styling nuance makes the Legacy seem uncomfortably tall and gives it a look that's more like a crossover than a sport sedan.

That I certainly agree with.

The aggressively flared wheel arches and neatly penned tail section are by far the car's best design features.

I think the wheel arches are ridiculously overdone and are the car's worst design feature. They look like they were tacked on as an afterthought rather than being subtly integrated into the body.

It's got new heads and an intake manifold - WOW!!!! I wonder if it still runs on gasoline.

With all of those new components they should be ashamed that it doesn't make a lot m ore power, or maybe it isn't that different.

Hmmm- actually the article- in case you missed it the first few times- says every other component is new - including the piston design.

So its more than just the manifold eh? And yes it does make more power, 281 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, they say that in the article as well -but hey you probably missed that too...

:icon_idea

Again, not sure why they should be applauded for making a car 5 years later faster than the one it is replacing from 2004

2003... BP/BL were released in ROW in 2003, ran full 6 model years vs. 5 years in the USDM - which was longer than previous generations.

Guest heightsgtltd
2003... BP/BL were released in ROW in 2003, ran full 6 model years vs. 5 years in the USDM - which was longer than previous generations.

oops, yeah... so 6 years, and a 15hp bump... sounds about right :lol:

It's already a 4-door sedan that can cover the 1/4 in high 13's- for cars in it's class a power deficit was never an issue (unless you count the GT that we had before the 05 MY) :).

Could they have given it more power? Yes of course- Did they need to? No. The current LGT was more than quick enough in a straight line to bury most of the competiton. 0-60 in 5.2 seconds is still very competitive for cars in this class (4 whole years later!)

While we aren't getting the 281hp version- the potential is easy to see (for some!)

Mmmm, Haterade. Best when consumed with people you've never in real life but only on the Internet.

You dudes turn every single one of these threads into useless pissing matches that would be better left to frackin' NABISCO.

/unsubscribe/

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Hmmm- actually the article- in case you missed it the first few times- says every other component is new - including the piston design.

So its more than just the manifold eh? And yes it does make more power, 281 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, they say that in the article as well -but hey you probably missed that too...

:icon_idea

I'm just here for the new spark plug design and the new cam bearing design and the new lifter design and the new rocker arm design and the new valve springs and so on.......

:lol:

As I said earlier, it's the best car ever!!!

Guest heightsgtltd
Mmmm, Haterade. Best when consumed with people you've never in real life but only on the Internet.

You dudes turn every single one of these threads into useless pissing matches that would be better left to frackin' NABISCO.

/unsubscribe/

Nice to read the thread. People are actually complimenting the JDM version (which was tested) and wishing the US version offered those specs..

USDM reviews literally can't come out until late June for the LGT and late July for the Outback. :spin: SOA Blog on NASIOC says there is a "review embargo" until then. :rolleyes: They want the magazines to have time to review FIRST and then the web based places to review (takes them less time to review and post) AND THEN all of it will come out at the same time.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I don't think it makes any sense but I wanted you all to know what was rammed down my throat in regards to wanting a US based review. :lol:

There's a couple guys who have already had some drive time and play time over on NASIOC in the 2010 LGT and they can't say a word about it besides, "I got some time in the car today... wait a month to hear what I thought." :rolleyes:

I think some small articles, leading up to the "big boy" magazine reviews, to build excitement/destroy hope would be a good thing. :munch: Gets the word out there! :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Guest heightsgtltd

I understand how embargoes work, but I am not sure why a couple of months makes a difference when so much is out about the car's appearance. It seems odd to let edmunds post this based on the JDM model.

To your point, it could actually tip the scales in favor if performance of the USDM gets kudos..

Archived