LegacyGT.com

Edmunds first drive of 2010 LGT - They love it!

JoeFromPA

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd

You are forgetting a key line of the article.

It's at the beginning actually..

"We get behind the wheel in Japan"

Everything they like is the JDM version.. bumpers, and other exterior features, 281 hp, Interior materials, McIntosh sound system, radar control system, it's like they almost didn't drive what we will be getting at all... :lol:

Then again this should be something we will experience:

"This styling nuance makes the Legacy seem uncomfortably tall and gives it a look that's more like a crossover than a sport sedan." :lol:

What's crazy is all those awesome features and content? $32,000 in Japan. Way to go SOA!

Heheh.....so what you are saying is that we just need to import and install the JDM oil cap (and JDM oil) and we'll get the same car.... :)

The HP is so close that it doesn't matter to me, the bumpers are styling, true, and can probably be adjusted (much like the 08 STI has been improved with solid red LED taillamps), and the sound system is fine with me with or without it.

I haven't read alot about how the interior materials differ. I'm guessing alot?

Guest heightsgtltd

Missed this on the first pass:

"A bigger, better Legacy takes it to its German rivals; shame about the face."

:lol:

Apparently the JDM version is competition for the A4, 3 series, etc. but the USDM is the limp wristed sibling...

Can someone explain to me what is different about the 5-speed automatic they test drove, the engine (besides being re-mapped to run on consistent 93 octane), the suspension, steering, wheels, brakes, or tires?

I said they test drove the car and I understood it was the JDM version which had different electronics, exterior, and a slightly revised ECU. I didn't realize that it's pure JDM goodness prevents it from being in any way related to the USDM version....

Guest heightsgtltd

Pure JDM goodness? Please, did you even read the article about what they liked?

does 281 hp sound like 265? Do we get Re050s standard on the LGT? Shall I continue before you keep shilling?

Can someone explain to me what is different about the 5-speed automatic they test drove, the engine (besides being re-mapped to run on consistent 93 octane), the suspension, steering, wheels, brakes, or tires?

I said they test drove the car and I understood it was the JDM version which had different electronics, exterior, and a slightly revised ECU. I didn't realize that it's pure JDM goodness prevents it from being in any way related to the USDM version....

Joe you don't seem to be getting it.

It's not the same car that will be made in

Indiana and available here.We always have gotten watered down versions of Subarus' best offerings.

Guys, I'm asking genuine questions. Heights - I thought we did get RE050 on 18" wheels here standard for the '10 LGT. Am I wrong? Do you know what rubber we ARE getting?

281 HP is, from what I understand, a 16 HP difference from what we are getting due to the consistently 93 octane (98 RON) available in Japan, whereas here they have to be able to receive 91 octane. The torque bands are near identical.

I understand it's not built at the same plant.

I'm asking serious questions: If they test drove a model with a damn near identical engine, same 5 speed automatic, identical suspension.....what exactly are the substantive differences?

I understand they may tune the suspensions differently for USDM vs. JDM markets. Is that the case here? Does anyone know?

My god....forgive me for posting something that made me have some hope for the new LGT :)

Joe

Guest heightsgtltd

:lol:

not getting on you Joe, it's just frustrating as many of us prefer what appears to be offered on the JDM version. As Jag said, there have always been inequalities, but they seem a lot more pronounced with this version.

You might be right on the 18s, I didn't think so but I'll look back and check through the threads

It does seem that what they like best are things that you can't get here...

and there has been this long story about how it's more premium in Japan, yet 32K doesn't seem so premium to get a substantially better car

I'm asking serious questions: If they test drove a model with a damn near identical engine, same 5 speed automatic, identical suspension.....what exactly are the substantive differences?

I understand they may tune the suspensions differently for USDM vs. JDM markets. Is that the case here? Does anyone know?

Well, on 2010 JDM LGT they have yellow shocks which suggests they are still getting bilsteins but the 2010 USDM LGT share the same shocks with the 2.5i. It hasn't been confirmed we aren't getting bilsteins but I haven't seen those yellow shocks that JDM cars get on any preproduction USDM car.

Anyways, USDM reviews should be coming in and we should be getting a more quantitative look at the car. The real test is when the new USDM Legacy gets pitted against its arch rivals the Camry, Accord and Altima in a comparo shoot out:rolleyes:

Every new car review proclaims that the new car is the best car ever and that the old one is a POS. The best part is when there is a review a few months later and it reveals that the new car maybe isn't really the best car ever and then the cycle continues.

Just wait until they put some bilstein shocks and alcantera seat covers on it and proclaim it the NEW SPEC B!!!!! :wub:

I predict the actual car that you can buy will be slower and more expensive (which is not much of a leap of faith) and will not be nearly as desirable as the 05 was when it came out.

and there has been this long story about how it's more premium in Japan, yet 32K doesn't seem so premium to get a substantially better car

Japanese prices for japanese cars have always been relatively cheaper in japan compared to the price of a near identical car in the US, which intuitively makes sense. a $32K car over there is probably priced closer to $40K here.

I agree that it will most likely be watered down from the jdm version, but overall I see this a VERY positive news for the new 2010 US LGT. All the right ingredients are there and not there:

> Bigger/more comfortable in almost every way

> Upgraded interior materials

> More HP from a heavily revised motor (265+?)

> Major redesign of the suspension-including double wishbones in the rear!

> Only 30lbs of extra weight!:eek:

IMHO, I always felt weight was going to be the real enemy of this incoming "bigger, better" model. But if what Edmunds is saying is correct about the minimal weight increase, and assuming a significantly stiffened body structure- it will be next to impossible for SOA to waterdown the 2010 US model to the point where is not a significantly better driver than the current model. More power, stiffer body, better suspension, and almost zero extra weight...sounds promising to me!

I still reserve my 'love it or hate it' design opinion until I see a full US production model in person. But overall I like what I see so far...

Guest heightsgtltd

Again, not sure why they should be applauded for making a car 5 years later faster than the one it is replacing from 2004 :spin:

That is cost of entry, now making it a lot better (i.e., more than a 15hp increase is worthy of applause)

Archived