LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Options / Possibilities

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CDN: Also how much wrap did you use? Brand?

I used 50' of 2" DEI header wrap. Had about a foot left over so it's just the right amount. Keep in mind you're to only overlap a 1/4" or so and the DEI product has a visible stitch to assist you with that overlap.

What did you paint your headers with? It should be fine really and actually it's recommended. I presprayed my headers with the DEI Silicone spray paint (high temp header paint) to help protect the metal under the wrap.

you should be good to go then... eliminates one of the steps.

You're still looking at at least an overnight to do the wrap. You need to install the wrap wet and then wait until it drys to paint (overnight).

RTFM :) Yah, you should soak the wrap in a bucket of water and install it wet. It's easier to work with (somewhat looser) and when it dries, it shrinks a bit and gets tighter. I don't think you should do it without soaking the wrap. Probably impossible to get the tight finish otherwise and you don't want it loose.

Aight my Canadian bretherend, I just bought the stuff, haven't been able to read the instructions. Plus it is just easier to ask you since you have done it.

yeah man you want to wet the wrap so it lays better when you are wrapping it around the headers. Then once it dries spray them with the DEI Hi Temp Spray i would go black for that murdered out look but Copper looks different kinda cool

They didn't have the copper color at the store. Black will work to blend in. Those little anchor things are expensive too. 17 bucks for 8 - 8" bands. I just hope its enough.

How did you go about wrapping yours? Each individual pipe with small overlap near the collectors or small sections individually until the pipes got close enough to wrap the two pipes together. Not the instruction type stuff, but what you did to make it come out clean.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/andrewolive/CIMG2767.jpg

There's the photo of mine. I used the attached photo for reference before I started.

Because of the cost of those straps, I elected to use stainless hose clamps from the hardware store... less costly and you can loosen and re-tighten multiple times if needed. Not as "pro" looking perhaps but still plenty clean and cheaper to boot. If you can return the bands you bought, consider trying those?

So, understanding it was my first time as well, I had to figure it out as I went but I've wrapped road bicycle handlebars so didn't think it would be too bad.

You start with one of the primary tubes and wrap til the tubes get too close together, then cut the wrap there - try to wedge the wrap in so it doesn't unravel. Then, starting with the other primary, you wrap it singly til you get close, then once you get to where the other ended, start wrapping them both together.

I sort of messed up on the shorter of the two runners (lower in the photo) in that when I wrapped the second primary and then went to the two together, I had already cut that piece of wrap so I ran out and had to stop when they merged. Ideally, that should have been a continuous wrap all the way back to the main collector. I think I was frustrated with managing all the slack, eg the balance of the 50' roll that you have to pull through as you wrap, and decided to cut it off and thats what I ended up with. I think you would be better off wrapping the long runner first to avoid that issue. Does that make sense? Eg, start with the top runner first - you'll just have the short primary first, then you can do the second primary all the way back to the collector. That'll use the bulk of your wrap so you'll have less to fight with on the shorter.

Make sure you wear gloves and you have a decent area to work. You'll have wet wrap dripping etc. And take your time. Keep your overlap consistent to avoid hot spots etc. Not sure how that works when you end up doubling up in some areas when you go from single to double but do what you can to keep it consistent.

3197430203_a5a9ef285d_b.thumb.jpg.b1b35f367bdb8b8d0727f089f48ec9b8.jpg

i've done this before but was told by an exhaust shop that heat wrapping with mild steel can seriously damage the pipe, so i took it back off

pics:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs479.ash1/26263_361012726900_699056900_4135186_5694327_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs459.snc3/26263_361013676900_699056900_4135188_4916919_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs459.snc3/26263_361014526900_699056900_4135198_4137132_n.jpg

also, if you dry wrap, be prepared to throw out whatever clothes you're wearing... because that fibreglass gets EVERYWHERE!! and i was itchy for like 2 days afterwards...

i've done this before but was told by an exhaust shop that heat wrapping with mild steel can seriously damage the pipe, so i took it back off

Noted - yah, the borla replicas shown here are stainless so should stand up to the wrap a lot better. Not permanently but better than mild steel.

Noted - yah, the borla replicas shown here are stainless so should stand up to the wrap a lot better. Not permanently but better than mild steel.

Yeah Mild Steel has little to no Chromium or Nickel so it is very porous and rust will ablate it in no time

On another note in preparation for the 2.5i header to roll out in about 3 weeks I ditched all thing after market exhaust related CBE, and selling the header.

For :

A pair of Thrush Super Turbo Mufflers P/N 17631

A 44 inch long Thrush Glass pack P/N 24213

10' of 2.25 409 Tubing (I got 409 specifically so I can coat it) P/N ?? Performance Curve

I know ive said "this is it" but literally this one will be it b/c there is nothing else left to try out :)

Those must be for a EG33 EZ30D or a EZ36D either way they are nice and loooong

they're for an ez30r (or the second generation version of the ez30d)

the ez30d only has a single exhaust port per head (collector built into the head)

the ez30r has an individual port for each cylinder (as per most motors)

and yes they are 31 inches long... apparently the tuned length for the ez30r motor... :p

For you BORLA rep guys looking to quite down look at the Thrush Super Turbo muffler they are really really well built and they have great drone cutting properties and they last and are cheaper and look nice

I think the drone cutting is going to come from that 44 inch glasspack :)

I had a dynomax super turbo on my old Nissan V6 pickup and it ended up raspy but I don't think you'll have that problem with the glasspack (resonator).

I think the drone cutting is going to come from that 44 inch glasspack :)

I had a dynomax super turbo on my old Nissan V6 pickup and it ended up raspy but I don't think you'll have that problem with the glasspack (resonator).

Yeah well I say the mufflers in this case b/c the New Super Hush Series has fiberglass packing in the muffler body unlike typical regular turbo mufflers. And yes ill basically have an entire resonator for a mid-pipe I feel more excited about this than the MagnaFlow probably because all above mentioned parts plus shipping barely reached $200.00 and I feel like it will put me at the sound level i want.

CDN: How long did it take for you to get your exhaust? The guy sent me the tracking info and says it will be here today but FedEx hasn't even picked up the package.

Why do they call that exhaust XO2 Exhaust? XO2 doesn't produce exhuast as far as I know. Now CXRacing apparently does.

It didn't take too long...

I pick up most of my stuff in the US at a UPS store just across the border. I thought it was a reasonable amount of time considering it came all the way across the country. I just checked my old tracking info - it shipped Jan 11th and arrived Jan. 18th in NY state.

Regarding the XO2 references - all these exhausts are coming from a single factory overseas (china I believe). XO2 was the first to market them, Gimmick (GMS) is the most recent. CXRacing/CXLighting is just one of a number that is selling them as well. The bonus with their variant is that it includes the much needed/desirable resonator.

It didn't take too long...

I pick up most of my stuff in the US at a UPS store just across the border. I thought it was a reasonable amount of time considering it came all the way across the country. I just checked my old tracking info - it shipped Jan 11th and arrived Jan. 18th in NY state.

Regarding the XO2 references - all these exhausts are coming from a single factory overseas (china I believe). XO2 was the first to market them, Gimmick (GMS) is the most recent. CXRacing/CXLighting is just one of a number that is selling them as well. The bonus with their variant is that it includes the much needed/desirable resonator.

I emailed the CX guy a while back when I was looking for a CBE they said:

"Dear geeotto,

no resonator,thanks

- cxlighting"

but everyone ive seen has one

I asked the same question because I wanted to make sure I got one too and had the same response. Regardless, mine came with one. :)

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT hahaha maybe they don't refer to them as resonators but I def remember you CBE with a Bulge in the pipe LOL:lol:

Archived