LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Specs are in the attached JPG. Trans only used two years in the 08-09 STIs

Yes, all you need is a Spec B driveshaft, or a 4th Gen 4EAT driveshaft and change the flange on the rear differential to a R160 version, and Spec B rear axles.

No mention of mileage, that I could find, so it could have been ridden hard and put away wet every day of its life and the box and diff is a crapshoot.

Also, 2009 so not a "pumped" version IIRC, not sure if that matters to you, and the gearing is shorter on 6th.

Parenthetically, If you were putting this into a 2nd gen, pretty much everything here would bolt up. Difference would be the driveshaft

Not sure if a PNW Subie, but this looks pretty rusted.

162109957_MY08-09STITransmissionandDifferentialSpecs.jpg.5ae88c57839463b331a7ef4e6dc83288.jpg

Edited by SBT
Replaced PDF w/JPEG
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You need the spec b 6 speed driveshaft or the driveshaft out of a 4eat legacy or outback....Dont think a spec b was ever an auto

Be careful with the outback drive shaft unless your doing the 6mt into an outback. The outback carrier bearing is taller then a legacy's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Be careful with the outback drive shaft unless your doing the 6mt into an outback. The outback carrier bearing is taller then a legacy's.

This is true, but I'm not sure it matters (much). I've been running my setup in the reverse manner--all parts installed on an OBK with a Legacy driveshaft with no issues.

I imagine if you are shocking the driveline or putting down crazy power, the angle of the driveshaft at the joint could eventually cause an issue--not sure tho.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

$4k for parts and you need to ship them from japan? eek.

I paid $2900 shipped for a full swap from a part out spec.b--I believe that's still the going rate for spec.b trans swaps from a subaru yard in PA. STi stuff comes with hubs and runs a bit more I think (but not much).

I didn't need anything but a clutch, all other parts were included.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think Spec B stuff is quite a bit cheaper, doesn't have the Torsen and Heilical limited slips and of course the Driver Controlled Center Diff.

I honestly can't imagine the 6 speed swap without those items.

Here is why you want the STI transmission everyone. Now that I have an actual STI and my STI 6 speed swapped outback Ive been driving, I can tell you this guy is spot on......

That Differential Makes One Hell of a Difference

Most of our time at the event was spent in Imprezas and WRXs, but we were allowed a few laps in an STI toward the end of the day. A handful of things were readily apparent — the top-of-the-line WRX offers a lot more mechanical grip, damping refinement, and steering feel than its lesser brethren — but it was the adjustable center differential that truly stood out.

Simply put, the sucker just works. When you lock the diff, the STI turns in less readily on the power but launches itself out of corners as if hooked to God's own trebuchet. Unlock the diff, and the car rotates easier but slews and wanders from apex to corner exit. Scandanavian flicks — Ha! I just realized this! I Scandanavian flicked a car with an actual Scandanavian inside it! My life is complete! — are easier with the diff locked because you have more control over both the initial degree of yaw (the product of the "flick"), and because the extra traction helps you adjust the car's attitude while sideways.

"You must live with my English, which is Norwegian English, which is not very perfect. But have the guts to be on the power. The car will not work properly without it. Exit speed, power, exit speed, power!" — John Haugland

In short, like the amazing active rear differential in Mitsubishi's Evolution, I want to put one of these things in every machine I own. (Yes, even the appliances. Attention, brave little toaster: Oversteer my bagel! Go!)

How does the feel of your STI swapped OBXT compare to your actual STI?

Very similar actually with the DCCD Pro. The difference is the steering rack and the sp600 tires.

The steering is SO QUICK with the STI rack. I was planning on doing the 2015 rack mod to my outback but decided to sell it.

I will say the STI just handles better even though its the stock suspension and sways.

In 2011 and up I believe they basically put some of the spec C stuff on the STI. Pillow ball joints in the control arms, larger sways, and stiffer springs.

It seriously feels like a roller coaster when you turn it. Like its literally on rails. I think in some tests it was like .93-.95 on the skidpad, which is very close to 1.0g

With all I did to the outback it is really good, but the STI is better.

I honestly LOVE the DCCD, it just flat out works, aftermarket controller or stock STI.

Good suspension bits and DCCD with sticky tires is just flat out ridiculous in a clover leaf :lol::spin:

Edited by Scooby2.5

I'm still running mine open. I was behind on the project and that wiring was the last thing I wanted to do. Snow is not that fun right now. haha. I'll tackle it this spring along with my JDM double din. I love flogging my buddy's sti at autocross. Looking forward to that magic in the XT.

This thread was great! The only thing that didn't work out for me in the recipes was the Spec B linkage. I would up using the STi stuff and it worked great. 5mt bezel and shifter is centered.

I have visco centre diff and Suretrac front and rear. Haven't done any heavy tarmac on this combination. On snow and ice I can pretty comfortably argue that it's the mechanical front (and rear) that makes the biggest difference. Some people on forum who track race seem to indicate to same direction.

Sure there are situations where DCCD will shine, but previous post seemed to claim too much for DCCD.

Here is why you want the STI transmission everyone. Now that I have an actual STI and my STI 6 speed swapped outback Ive been driving, I can tell you this guy is spot on......

That Differential Makes One Hell of a Difference

Most of our time at the event was spent in Imprezas and WRXs, but we were allowed a few laps in an STI toward the end of the day. A handful of things were readily apparent — the top-of-the-line WRX offers a lot more mechanical grip, damping refinement, and steering feel than its lesser brethren — but it was the adjustable center differential that truly stood out.

Simply put, the sucker just works. When you lock the diff, the STI turns in less readily on the power but launches itself out of corners as if hooked to God's own trebuchet. Unlock the diff, and the car rotates easier but slews and wanders from apex to corner exit. Scandanavian flicks — Ha! I just realized this! I Scandanavian flicked a car with an actual Scandanavian inside it! My life is complete! — are easier with the diff locked because you have more control over both the initial degree of yaw (the product of the "flick"), and because the extra traction helps you adjust the car's attitude while sideways.

"You must live with my English, which is Norwegian English, which is not very perfect. But have the guts to be on the power. The car will not work properly without it. Exit speed, power, exit speed, power!" — John Haugland

In short, like the amazing active rear differential in Mitsubishi's Evolution, I want to put one of these things in every machine I own. (Yes, even the appliances. Attention, brave little toaster: Oversteer my bagel! Go!)

Just about every person that I drive with at the track here in the Northwest seems to leave their DCCD in Auto for tarmac driving. I think the adjustability would be a big advantage for dirt/gravel/rally but it seems to be a set and forget for tarmac around here with pretty much everyone. ZF Design in Colorado is finishing up my '14 Sti 6 speed this week and while I'll be going with a DCCD, I don't have plans to hook up a controller.

The main reason I'm not going to hook it up is because I don't want to spend the cash, this swap has hit me in the wallet a lot harder than it was supposed to :)

Too bad, it really transforms the car.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Maybe down the road I'll choose to hook it up but my recent SpecB '08 tranny swap nightmare, (the thread is in this tranny forum) has added considerable cost to the build. I never dreamed that buying a 6 speed used would lead to it being a complete write off and ruined. I'm grateful that ZF Design is giving me a core exchange refund on it for my '14 STI tranny they are building for me. Just having a proper lump in there with a front LSD is going to be a big difference for me on track I'm sure.

To those who think it doesn't matter much to have it just amazes me after having driven both.....G-Force sensor in middle of car, TPS sensor, YAW steering sensor etc and a computer that moves the torque to different wheels to help understeer oversteer etc. but no it doesn't really do anything :spin::lol::rolleyes:

My STI with the SP600 tires DCCD, VDC, .93-.95 on the skidpad is like GLUE on a cloverleaf. Its actually pretty amazing.

Would never, ever be without it now. One of the best mods I ever did to my outback and worth the $350-500 for the aftermarket DCCD.

As fahr_side stated it transforms the car

https://www.dccdpro.com

Just about every person that I drive with at the track here in the Northwest seems to leave their DCCD in Auto for tarmac driving. I think the adjustability would be a big advantage for dirt/gravel/rally but it seems to be a set and forget for tarmac around here with pretty much everyone. ZF Design in Colorado is finishing up my '14 Sti 6 speed this week and while I'll be going with a DCCD, I don't have plans to hook up a controller.

How do you have DCCD without a controller? Guess I am not following you. Maybe you are hooking up a DCCD computer that is auto only??

Auto mode is great on tarmac I would agree. Locked in the snow is like driving a Jeep :lol:

Maybe down the road I'll choose to hook it up but my recent SpecB '08 tranny swap nightmare, (the thread is in this tranny forum) has added considerable cost to the build. I never dreamed that buying a 6 speed used would lead to it being a complete write off and ruined. I'm grateful that ZF Design is giving me a core exchange refund on it for my '14 STI tranny they are building for me. Just having a proper lump in there with a front LSD is going to be a big difference for me on track I'm sure.

Holy crap! That totally sucks and I know exactly who sold it to you because I almost drove up there and bought it myself.

I am not sure, from what I have been reading is better spaced gearing, no dccd needed, group N transmission mount comes stock. Other then those things pretty much the same transmission as the spec B.

I am assuming/hoping it is still 5x100.

here is a link to the auction, I'm sure I over paid on the transmission but I had managed to win all of the other parts auctions first so by that point I was all in.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r180068777

It's 5x100 and the S402 and SpecB 6MT's are identical except the GroupN mount.