LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Problem: I need a good mounting solution for my DCCD switches and the LED indicator. I would like to go stealthy and mount them in the cubby. I’m thinking a blank panel in either plastic or CF that will allow me to retain the cubby door so I can close keep them from being seen. Can anyone point me in the right direction for something like this? I asked in the 3D printing thread but haven’t gontten any responses. All Help and suggestions are appreciated.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

For the A-pillar? I want them in the cubby.

Is JCSpods a user here?

Not that I am aware of...

JCSpods, I would email them and ask about this video here:

This might be what your looking for, without holes so you can cut your own.

Or

You could try messaging Block8Head, he makes some pretty awesome stuff.

Or

cubbypods.com (if they will make one without cutting the holes so you can cut your own.)

Problem: I need a good mounting solution for my DCCD switches and the LED indicator. I would like to go stealthy and mount them in the cubby. I’m thinking a blank panel in either plastic or CF that will allow me to retain the cubby door so I can close keep them from being seen. Can anyone point me in the right direction for something like this? I asked in the 3D printing thread but haven’t gontten any responses. All Help and suggestions are appreciated.

Here is how I mounted mine, looked factory. Just cut two holes with a dremel and snapped them in

IMG_3634.thumb.jpg.7f275a99c6ec8d4b9d2b17264a94f93d.jpg

IMG_3635.thumb.jpg.ba2ca29bd7ce7d610e38fcc4744f8e76.jpg

I have 2007 JDM STI Forester gearbox.

2004 STI drive shafts (5x100) at rear coupled to Hyundai Elantra CV-joints.

Highly recommended. Read my posts and ask if anything unclear.

4EAT prop shaft is ok, but must be OB to OB, or LGT to LGT

I have LGT shaft in OB and it's doable but needs spacers and longer bolts. No point to do it.

I used a legacy shaft in OB with no spacers and it worked fine. Never had any vibration issues but you are correct its better on like car to like car

• Moderators
I used a legacy shaft in OB with no spacers and it worked fine. Never had any vibration issues but you are correct its better on like car to like car

Same. I also used a legacy driveshaft on my OBXT. No issues.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Same. I also used a legacy driveshaft on my OBXT. No issues.

I read comments on this and that was the reason I bought driveshaft which was most convenient to get (Legacy). Only once I was installing it I realized how badly it misaligns. Bearing carrier mounting height is totally different.

I'm a marine engineer by profession and I have come across through the years number of incorrect installations that either; "work" or "worked before".

I didn't want to take a risk and issue was sorted out by longer bolts and spacers. Now aligned like factory design it.

Having an extreme misalignment is definitely not good. I know some LGT/OBXT which had to have original driveshaft replaced due to bearing failure.

If you were lucky with this it doesn't matter :)

but for anyone planning installation I don't recommend increasing chances of things breaking.

Correct you want the legacy shaft for a legacy and the outback shaft for an outback. If you are an outback that has removed the suspension spacers you need a legacy shaft

Most of us did not know the differences when we first performed the swap but it did not seem to have any problems and I ran mine like this over 100K.

Back when we did it sourcing a used shaft from a 4eat was not as easy as it may be today. Remember many of US like hamerdown were the first people to do this :)

At any rate we are just trying to say it will work just fine. Even though the alignment may be slightly off, like a lot of non subaru vehicles are, it works fine

Edited by Scooby2.5

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, since I'm probably doing this swap this weekend: are the flywheel and pressure plate bolts the same between the 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions? I'm planning on buying new bolts (I also have a new clutch and flywheel to install) anyway, but want to make sure I have the right part numbers.

I have 800210660 for the flywheel bolts and 800508310 for the pressure plate bolts (with washers).

Also, as I understand it, the 2005/2006 flywheel bolts have T50 Torx Plus heads, whereas later years have regular hex heads, so it sounds like it's desirable to swap the Torx heads for regular heads to save grief later?

Edited by Arcteryx

T50 Torx Plus bolt were used exclusively with the Dual Mass Flywheel of the 05/06 Legacy GT and OBXT models. Those should be replaced.

As far as the FW and CP bolts, IIRC there's a post early on with all the part numbers. Just no time to search for it right now

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

A quick search of Opposed Forces.

Cover Plate bolt and washer P/N = 800508310 (which crosses to the Legacy GT (5MT) and the Spec B (6MT)

Flywheel bolts P/N = 800410070 (which also crosses to the both the Legacy GT (5MT) and the Spec B (6MT).

Check with your parts department to confirm that these numbers are still active.

Those flywheel bolts look to be the Torx Plus ones:

wDTMk0X.jpg

So I'm assuming I can replace them with 800508310:

LHnuXHf.jpg

Picture looks like T+ bolt head. The numbers were pulled from Opposed Forces and from SubarusParts.com, so as mentioned, check with your dealer parts department. You want hex-head bolts for your Flywheel. The Torx+ are designed for the DMFW on the 05/06 Leggys.

...and it's done!

Only things I can suggest:

-the axle clips gave us a bit of a problem; at first we thought they were simply too big, but then it turned out that the differential I bought already had clips in it

-we were a little nervous about the length of the driveshaft (I used one from an automatic Legacy, as suggested). It's not long enough to fully seat in the tail of the transmission with the bearing carrier bolts in the right place, so we had to back it off about an inch or so. That still leaves a couple of inches of spline engaged, so I think it's fine.

-a tranny jack made life so much easier! I don't know how people do this job on their own. We had 3 people, two manipulating the transmission from below and one spotting from above. Even then, it took a couple of hours (and a bit of paranoia) to get everything aligned and pulled together. The trick with the ratchet strap on the pitch mount/alternator bracket definitely helped, too

-I replaced the stock reverse lockout mechanism with the Perrin one. Using a screw instead of a pin to engage the cable makes so much more sense!

Question regarding the rear diff mount:

Can the '08+ STi aluminum rear diff mount be used in place of the Spec B mount?

From pictures, they look like they are very close in dimensions, but perhaps the outer ears are a bit wider in the STi.

40597276362_71ab24bf7e.jpg