LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Question for a 6sp swap guru..... I swapped a v7 6sp into my 05 LGT wagon. It's all in there and working great. The issue I'm having is with my exhaust. I've got an Invidia up pipe, Invidia catless downpipe, BNR 18G turbo and an SPT catback exhaust (v2 I believe). At the flange where the downpipe meets the catback exhaust, that's the 3" two bolt flange, I have a leak. The flanges do not meet up flush. It's like the downpipe is pitched downward creating a gap on the bottom of the flange. I tried massaging the catback flange and using multiple gaskets but it won't seal. I'm wondering if I have the wrong combination of crossmember or trans mounts. I am a 6sp mount from an STi and the trans crossmember from my LGT... if my memory is correct.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Possible solutions? I'm trying to avoid cutting and welding.

Your mounts should be fine, and the V7 JDM Sti 6-speed has the same mounting dimensions as the USDM 6MT's - I've had both in my car. I'd try loosening all the downpipe bolts, the 2-bolt flange bolts, and the downpipe support bracket bolts - tighten the 2-bolt flange then everything else.

Did you purchase the Spec B 6mt downpipe support bracket? 44021FE030 Scratch that, it's the same as all years of Sti and Spec B

Edited by legacybt

I'm gonna get back under there this weekend and see what I can see. I had an issue before with my downpipe hitting the trans crossmember because my Megan Racing up pipe was too long so I replaced it with an Invidia. I guess when you piece together all these aftermarket parts, it's no surprise that everything doesn't line up just right.

Remember, that most of the 4th Gen AM bits were predicated on the 5th/5EAT drivetrains, with any real 6MT engineering, just an afterthought. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have been reading through this and am a little confused, why isn't 06+ sti transmission and 06+ STI rear diff listed as an option? As far as I can tell that works and a few people have done it, but we don't have it listed on page one. Edited by Rhitter

I have a super noob question about this. I'm looking to do a six speed swap eventually. Are there any combinations of bits that would not allow me to keep the 5x100 bolt pattern? Or will everything play nice with the stock hubs? The reason I ask is that I don't want to budget new wheels/tires into the project if I can avoid it.

I plan on using an R180 rear diff if that makes a difference.

There's a lot involved.

Pull the rear extension case, remove the rear driven gear, the center differential, then drill the case to get the DCCD controller wires into the CD area, install the DCCD, the rear driven gear, and the extension case. Lots of ancilliary stuff, but that's pretty much the meat of it.

Cheaper, actually, to just get an STI 6MT with DCCD already installed.

If it looks like this, yes, that's the extension case. If you already have a front and rear HLSD, unless you're tracking the vehicle, doesn't make much sense to attempt a DCCD install into a Spec B case. You might do better with a CUSCO Tarmac or STI Quaife ATB CD to replace the VLSD one.

STI 6MT will have both a DCCD and a helical (most likely) FLSD. Just need the controller - and there are several - to make it work.

1647035404_6MTExtensionCase.jpg.4939cc6ffd8d6dd95a8911d26ab200a5.jpg

My main reason for upgrading would be increased traction and the 40:60 torque split instead of the 50:50 from the center VLSD I have now.

I also like the automatic mode offered by DCCDPro as it seems like it would make better use of the two HLSD's I have. My main hesitation with the cusco tarmac is that it's an open diff, but it does have the rear bias torque split.

I was not aware that Quafie made a CD for these cars?

I also want to keep my Spec.B trans for the taller 5th and 6th gears.

Quaife makes a lot of the STI FD, RD and CDs.

Two Quaife Torque Sensing CDs 38913AA111 and 38913AA112 - my notes are a bit fuzzy so recommend checking with Rallispec or AndrewTech on these.

Very good information in that thread, but seems like it's mostly geared towards drag racing and AutoX launches. I never launch the car so that isn't my interest in a CLSD. I am more interested in road course and the ability of the DCCDPro in auto mode to modulate lockup after apexes and transitions.

Info/updates I'd like to suggest for the front page.

I found the Spec B diff/trans recipes to be confusing on the first page.

All 6mt Spec B Transmissions have a 1.1:1 transfer section, and share the 3.54:1 rear Torsen differential assembly with the 2007+ wrx sti (with the smaller input flange). There is no 3.9:1 rear differential for the 07-09 Spec B. This can be confirmed using part number 38410AA140 (internal diff assy).

These are a few parts shared with the GR & VA (2008+) Impreza chassis, unclear in other posts

08+ STi have a shift linkage which fits the Legacy GT chassis

Spec B downpipe support bracket is the same part number as the 08+ STi bracket (44021FE030)

Spec B Aluminum differential mount is the same as the 08+ WRX & STi (41310AG040)

Wiring Harnesses

The 2002-2007 (GD Chassis, incl JDM) WRX STi transmissions have round connectors for the neutral and reverse sensors, and the wiring harness merges with the DCCD as a 6-pin connector at the bulkhead. By using part number 24031AA080, you can use an OEM harness to connect the round connectors to the factory 4-pin connector at the bulkhead. The DCCD wires on the original STi harness can then be cut and spliced, or 2 of the 6 pins of the factory STi harness can be used to wire in an aftermarket DCCD controller.

The same approach can be used on the 2008+ STi transmission, using part number 24031AA410 - this is the factory 05-09 Legacy GT 5mt harness.

Hopefully this helps clear things up for some people!

Edited by legacybt
DCCD Controller Clarity

Anyone done a 6 speed swap in an Outback XT that still has an Outback XT driveshaft.

I need a measurement of the height of the carrier bearing.

The carrier bearing on an outback drops the shaft about 1 inch I believe.

The Legacy GT carrier bearing and shaft is tucked up in the tunnel a bit more.

Thanks

Anyone done a 6 speed swap in an Outback XT that still has an Outback XT driveshaft.

I need a measurement of the height of the carrier bearing.

The carrier bearing on an outback drops the shaft about 1 inch I believe.

The Legacy GT carrier bearing and shaft is tucked up in the tunnel a bit more.

Thanks

Would it make sense to just measure an Outback (non-XT) Auto driveshaft - Given that the replacement on the GT conversions is a Legacy (non-GT) Auto driveshaft?

Edited by SBT
Clarity

scoobyscoodle you should also consider that the Spec B 6MT doesn't have the oil pump that STI trannys have.

So if you swap in a STI 6 MT you get the DCCD and the oil pump. And the oil pump also makes it easily possible to add a tranny cooler if you get serious about tracking your car, which it sounds like you are.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Looking at Page 6MT-60 of the 2007 Spec B FSM, there is clearly an Oil Pump, Oil Pipe and associated repair/overhaul guidelines. The 2008-09 Spec FSMs do not contain any of this.

Parenthetically, per this IWSTI thread, mid-way through the 2007 production run, SOJ changed the STI 6MT to a "slung" system versus oil pumped lubrication.

The lubrication system was changed on the STI transmission midway through the 2007 model year. The older version had an oil pump driven lubrication system (no transmission cooler), the newer versions utilize strategically placed scrapers to catch and route oil that gets slung up by the gears. The oil pump driven system was better and more flexible because a transmission oil cooler could easily be added.
Pumped version: P/N = 32000J100, List Price: $7K+ shipping

Slung version: P/N = 3200AJ350, List Price: $5K+ shipping

I've seen an early 2007 Spec B 6MT and it clearly was a pumped box.

It would make sense that Subaru would use essentially the same box for the Spec B and the STI - DCCD and FLSD excepted - so it would also be logical that the latter 07 and and the 08-09 Spec B boxes were the slung versions. Unfortunately, i can't get out to the garage to look at my 2008 Spec B 6MT to see whether it is plumbed or not.

On the 6MT boxes with the pump, where is the pump located?

scoobyscoodle you should also consider that the Spec B 6MT doesn't have the oil pump that STI trannys have.

So if you swap in a STI 6 MT you get the DCCD and the oil pump. And the oil pump also makes it easily possible to add a tranny cooler if you get serious about tracking your car, which it sounds like you are.

I spoke with Rallispec on the phone last week and they informed me that for the DCCD swap on the SpecB trans I would need the DCCD unit, wiring harness, oil pump, transfer gears, as well as either the DCCD tail housing or machine a hole in mine for the DCCD wiring harness.

It's pretty obvious that the cheapest way to go about this is a STI 6MT swap, but I really would like to keep the original trans in the car (not sure why I just do haha) and I also really like my 5th and 6th gear ratios. I'm not really in a huge rush to do any of this though, just an idea I've been toying with for some time now.

On the 6MT boxes with the pump, where is the pump located?

I spoke with Rallispec on the phone last week and they informed me that for the DCCD swap on the SpecB trans I would need the DCCD unit, wiring harness, oil pump, transfer gears, as well as either the DCCD tail housing or machine a hole in mine for the DCCD wiring harness.

It's pretty obvious that the cheapest way to go about this is a STI 6MT swap, but I really would like to keep the original trans in the car (not sure why I just do haha) and I also really like my 5th and 6th gear ratios. I'm not really in a huge rush to do any of this though, just an idea I've been toying with for some time now.

Just easier to take out your 5th and 6th Spec B gearing and put it into an STI box and then figure out what you're going to do with your DCCD controls.

Oil pump is located in the extension case with sump in the bottom pan.

And, some more info gathered from Opposed Forces

2007 STI (Early) Pumped (?) version: P/N = 32000J100

Transmission ID (from OF) = TY856WW8MA

2007 STI (Later) Slung (?) version: P/N = 3200AJ350

Transmission ID (from OF) = TY856WW8MD

2007 Spec B (Early) Pumped (?) Version: P/N = 32000AH890

Transmission ID (from OF) = TY856WWDAA

2007 Spec B (Later & 2008-09) Slung (?) Version: P/N = 32000AJ270

Transmission ID (from OF) = TY856WWEAA

More to follow

Edited by SBT