LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Hey NSFW did you ever check your fuel pump voltage?

Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this question... no, I never did. I still want to, but it's going to be a while. Lots of other stuff on my to-do list these days. But it helps that the days are getting longer now. :)

12 pages of....:confused:

i cant seem to find the simple way of doing this. theres not one post with all the answers. there scattered all over the place...:spin: can the 1st post be updated with the correct info? (or more options listed for the 05+, not just newer legacy's)

Try this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nsfws-6mt-swap-thread-143520.html

Edited by NSFW
i don't reed to good

Sorry for the slow response, I just saw this question... no, I never did. I still want to, but it's going to be a while. Lots of other stuff on my to-do list these days. But it helps that the days are getting longer now. :)

Crap, I have to do that too. Busy season at work hit and now I have no life :(:spin:

There are two main recipes for 6MT swaps. They key difference between them is the rear diff ratio. Both use 3.9:1 front differentials, but the later transmissions have a 1.1:1 ratio on the rear output shaft, which requires a 3.54:1 rear diff.

Recipe A - 3.90 rear diff

Transmission options: 04/05 STI*, or 08/09 Spec B

Rear diff options: 04/05 STI, possibly 07-09 Legacy GT R160**

Rear axles: 07-09 Spec B (axles 28421AG03B, axle seals 806732200)

Front axles: Regular LGT***

Driveshaft: use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange.

(The Spec B R180 has an R160 input yoke, but is only available in 3.54:1.)

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff

Transmission options: 06+ STI (I don't know what the upper bound is, but unclemat used an 08)

Rear diff options: 02-05 WRX R160, 07-09 Spec B R180*****

Rear axles: Regular LGT with R160, Spec B axles with R180.

Front axles: Regular LGT

Driveshaft: Spec B****

i dont see the 06-07 STI diff in either option? im looking at going with the 07 sti trans and diff for the 3.54 gearing. lsd front and rear with dccd.

but from what im reading, the 07 gears werent treated. the 06 is i guess?

what are some other differences other than the gear ratios?

i basically cant use an 06 trans with the 07 diff and get 3.54 gearing?

so from what i gathered between the 2 threads is this.

07 STI trans

07 STI shifter linkage

Spec B Shifter Rod

Spec B Shifter Stay

Kartboy short shifter

dss driveshaft and rear axles

07 STI rear diff

Spec B rear diff mount

DCCD controller

ACT 6 puck clutch (since my BRAND NEW act 6 puck from my 5sp wont fit)... :mad:

am i missing anything?

Your over thinking this a little. Your 06-07 diff in either option is in this part of your post. 07-09 Spec B R180***** is a Torson rear diff. Just like the STi's. It don't matter the year of the diff. As long as it as the right gear ratio. Just pick any R160 or R180 with 3.54 gearing.

Transmission options: 06+ STI (I don't know what the upper bound is, but unclemat used an 08)

Driveshaft: 07-09 Spec B**** 05^ 4eat & you can go with a custom drive shaft.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

i dont see the 06-07 STI diff in either option?

am i missing anything?

You can always use whatever diff was used with the transmission in the year/model they both came out of. I guess I should clarify that in the first page.

I think you have pretty much everything listed, but there might be some small parts that surprise you.

When I got my trans, it had the clutch fork, but not the rod that the clutch fork pivots on.

It did come with the clutch slave cylinder, but not everyone's does.

I also bought a braided stainless clutch line, though I don't recall whether the trans came with the stock one or not.

Make sure your shifter parts includes the reverse lockout cable. I hadn't even thought of that, fortunately it was included in the spec B STS assembly that I bought.

Etc, etc.

I think you just have to start piling up the parts at this point.

So how does the tuning work with a 6mt? Doesn't the ecu change settings based on the specific gear that the trans is currently in? I could be over thinking this also. I know squat about tuning. I really hope that this swap lives up to the hype Edited by bigjweb

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, have read all pages.. I'm afraid there is no EASY solutions to my below questions:

- my car is my09 NA 3.0r legy 5EAT (3.272 final drive), would it be possible to swap the transy with an STi 2006 6MT without replacing the rear diff? (maybe by replacing the ring and pinions or regearing?) I heard it would be doable if I replaced the driveshaft by the 3.0 spec.b driveshaft.

- If possible, you think that mapping the ecu with a MT map would be doable? it would save me around $700 buying a spec.b ecu.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

"2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars"

Does this mean I will not be able to use my stock rear diff on my 05? I plan on going with the 06+ STi trans.

"2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars"

Does this mean I will not be able to use my stock rear diff on my 05? I plan on going with the 06+ STi trans.

No,need 3.54:1 rear diff. From thread below:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nsfws-6mt-swap-thread-143520.html

There are two main recipes for 6MT swaps. They key difference between them is the rear diff ratio. Both use 3.9:1 front differentials, but the later transmissions have a 1.1:1 ratio on the rear output shaft, which requires a 3.54:1 rear diff.

Recipe A - 3.90 rear diff

Transmission options: 04/05 STI*, or 08/09 Spec B

Rear diff options: 04/05 STI, possibly 07-09 Legacy GT R160**

Rear axles: 07-09 Spec B (axles 28421AG03B, axle seals 806732200)

Front axles: Regular LGT***

Driveshaft: use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange.

(The Spec B R180 has an R160 input yoke, but is only available in 3.54:1.)

Driveshaft: Spec B****

Note that there are two versions of the Spec B 6MT transmission and they have different final drive ratios.

* Some 04 STI transmissions need minor changes for LGT front axles - click here for more info.

** I have conflicting information about which Legacy GT R160s have which ratios.

*** 04 6MT will need new axle seals to use LGT front axles. (Part numbers here)

**** Per Z0rro, an 05-09 4EAT driveshaft can substitute for a Spec B driveshaft.

***** Cars101.com says the 08/09 Spec B uses a 3.9 final drive, however that apparently includes the 1.1 reduction in the transmission.

Small parts: (needed for either recipe)

Please confirm these part numbers for your particular transmission.

Most of these are just what I used for my 05 STI 6MT swap; later years may have differences.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Did you bother reading the whole thread?

Price is covered in post #31.

The most obvious cost is the transmission itself and cost depends on where you can find one.

Cost is also covered in some of the other threads on this.

Edited by goneskiian

Mine cost me 6k$. But I didn't cheap out on anything. Brand new act clutch, torque solutions motor trans and pitch stop mount. We're 1100$ alone. Also did the custom driveshaft like the op and hammer down. Costing around 650$

If u got a stock clutch with your 6 speed and are stock power and don't want to replace it. Along with find a used stock trans mount and auto driveshaft. U could Probaly do the swap for around 4500$ or so. Goodluck finding used spec b rear axles tho. I got lucky and bought a swap coming out of a legacy. Got teansmission and rear spec b axles for 3300$ 06 sti 6 speed with 24k miles.

And a rear diff for 425$

• 4 weeks later...

Not hard, the center diff. swap can be done with out dropping the tranny. Need 1, DCCD, about $1700 new, 1, DCCD controller, about $350+ new & drill holes & sealant for the DCCD controller wires that goes through the tranny case.

Mike

Just for reference. If you DO need to get to the Neutral Safety Switch or the Reverse Switch on a six speed - removing the dogbone is the cats meow. It lowers the transmission an additional 6" and is enough to get even the biggest paws in there to change the switches. If you have access to a lift I would recommend that for sure. On a lift with air tools you are talking about 30 minutes at most. Remove intercooler, dogbone, heatshield (careful with the o2 sensor), crossmember, lower it gently. Thanks to Mike for the help on this one.

Shawn

Shawn and Hammerdowns way to change the NSS is the way to do but if you don't have access to a lift, you can do it this way.

I was having problems as has been reported with the NSS (5 speed) flickering on and off and my cruise not working.

It was doing this in the 5 speed and its been doing it with the 6 speed as well.

I read a couple of threads where Subaru had a ECU flash fix for this or you could use a more thin washer.

I am protuned so the ECU flash was out of the question.

I went to NAPA and took the factory washer with me. Found a matching copper washer much more thin.

The factory one, measured with a dial caliper, is .079 thick

The one from NAPA was .030 which looked pretty thin.

Installed it yesterday and my cruise works like a champ.

Monitoring it with the AP shows it turning off and on real sold whereas before it was flickering on and off on its own.

I was able to put my car on ramps. Crawl underneath the car and run my hand and arm straight down the tunnel with a 3/4 inch wrench.

It was a bit tough but I got the wrench on the NSS and turned it. Once loose It was pretty easy to spin out.

Put the new washer on and threaded it back in.

Anyway it is possible to do this without dropping the tranny but you have to enter the tunnel toward the front of the car/transmission and slide you hand toward the back.

Thought I would post this up for anyone needing to do this without a lift.

NOTE: This can only be done if you have an outback. The outback has a 1 inch body lift and has more room between the tunnel and the transmission. If you have a legacy GT, forget it!

Edited by Scooby2.5

ruggerheist,

Did you get you spev from a yard or new? If you happen to know where another spec or sti tranny is at reasonable proce please let me know I have been watching carpart.com forever never any good deals at least not on suby drivetrain parts

TIA,

Anthony

ruggerheist,

Did you get you spev from a yard or new? If you happen to know where another spec or sti tranny is at reasonable proce please let me know I have been watching carpart.com forever never any good deals at least not on suby drivetrain parts

TIA,

Anthony

I got it off a member on here that sadly totalled his car and parted out. Nasioc has sti trannys up pretty often