LegacyGT.com

2.5 LGT Header Mod to Fit 2.5i

^^^Untrue, to get the Subaru UEL header sound, you must use a UEL.

A horrizontally opposed engine sounds different than an inline or V engine, period. That is why a Porsche, with a EL header, has a distinctive "Porsche" sound.

^^ Speaks the troof.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not my stuff.. my oem manifolds got sent into grimmspeed lol.. my oem turbo is sitting.. but i would it cheap if you wanted it lol

Why did you send to grimm? OEM turbo if only I "really" wanted to void the warranty plus id need your ecu trans etc tisk tisk

• 3 weeks later...
doesnt Borla make a set of UEL headers for the 2.5i leggys? or some kind of knockoff ebay brand? or are those just the ones for the 02+ 2.5RS

No, Borla makes them. You just have to get a header meant for a 2.5rs. They fit right onto 2.5i's.

Man, we need to make a sticky thread at the top of the N/A forums on what kinds of headers are available to the 2.5i's. This question about headers gets asked entirely too much, no offense guys :cool:

No, Borla makes them. You just have to get a header meant for a 2.5rs. They fit right onto 2.5i's.

Man, we need to make a sticky thread at the top of the N/A forums on what kinds of headers are available to the 2.5i's. This question about headers gets asked entirely too much, no offense guys :cool:

They dont need to be made for an RS LGT headers from Borla or the ebay knock offs will fit actually the LGT header is better b/c it doesnt have that 90 degree turn at hte end of the header which allows for a more straight path for exhaust to flow

So while ordering parts for my custom exhaust a user on this forum PMed me to inform me that he had a spare stock LGT manifold all three parts. So I bought that from him and will be getting that PnP and coated by Grimm speed. Why the Stock LGT manifold over a header you ask? Well performance ISNT the work of a header for a 2.5i as this really good read will tell you:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692914&highlight=UEL+vs+El

the UEL header is mostly for sound but they are costly if you get the real deal Borlas run in the $400's and they are known to crack same with knock offs they have weak flanges that could warp due to heat. Also there are some claims they won’t clear things like oil filters and steering hard line.

SO I felt the best way to combat all issue if AM parts is to stay stock the EJ255 (LGT) and the EJ253 (2.5i) same MY range are basically the same so the stock LGT manifold will fit.

What if the spacing is wrong for the manifold you ask? Well seeing as the LGT manifold is in three pieces the actual collectors aren’t a problem that the cross pipe can be shortened if need be BUT the cross pipe has to made so that the collector sections line up correctly with the exhaust ports EJ 255 to EJ253 same block.

the best part about this I feel is the fact that I will have a straight shot back to the rest of the exhaust no 90 degree bend. OEM durability and the option to upgrade to a better cross pipe in the future. :spin:And yes there is a slight angle on the Up pipe section but that will be corrected with a rotate flange flex pipe or slight moding to that section itself which ever will be better flowing

Also header collect down into 2.25 inches the LGT manifold isnt the exact same

They dont need to be made for an RS LGT headers from Borla or the ebay knock offs will fit actually the LGT header is better b/c it doesnt have that 90 degree turn at hte end of the header which allows for a more straight path for exhaust to flow

I see your logic, but I'm not so sure about it. I really dont think you can just fit a Legacy GT header on there, and why would you want to get a stock header for the LGT? The UEL Borla header is designed for the EJ253, not the EJ255 like the GT. I have it on my car and it has no problems clearing everything under the car, including oil filter, steering lines, whatever. Plus the Borla is mandrel bent, so the 90 degree angle really doesnt matter, its basically as free flowing as straight piping.

If you want to mod up a LGT header and show us how you did it, I'd be interested to see how you got it to work. But I don't get why you would do that when there are headers made specifically for OUR engines.

I see your logic, but I'm not so sure about it. I really dont think you can just fit a Legacy GT header on there, and why would you want to get a stock header for the LGT? The UEL Borla header is designed for the EJ253, not the EJ255 like the GT. I have it on my car and it has no problems clearing everything under the car, including oil filter, steering lines, whatever. Plus the Borla is mandrel bent, so the 90 degree angle really doesnt matter, its basically as free flowing as straight piping.

If you want to mod up a LGT header and show us how you did it, I'd be interested to see how you got it to work. But I don't get why you would do that when there are headers made specifically for OUR engines.

True but numbers dont lie the borla doesnt improve hp on the dyno and the stock manifold has the same outlet as the header 2.25 inches so no I dont like it will hender or improve the engine one way or another and if it doesnt work out guess what? Ill be buying a Borla header so I guess one way or another ill achieve the same result. Also it would be neat to show others that it can be done you know

• 3 months later...
So my friend and I both have 2.5i Legacys. This dude from college has a impreza 2.5i ( 2008) model same as our 2008 legacy 2.5i's. He took a header from a wrecked 2008 WRX cut the up-pipe and sealed it by welding a piece ove the flange and bolted it up to his stock exhaust. ( No BS he said he heard and saw a vid of a dude that did the same mod on Youtube) so come to find out it waas totally true and his 2.5i Impreza sounds like a WRX sick! Anyway I can fab most anything and weld well I was wondering coudl the same be done with a legacy ? Could you find a 06-08 Legacy GT wrecked of course and get the header off of it mod it to fit then install? ( The reason I say a stock header is b/c they are UEL and most of the ones out for LGTs are EL in a N/A the EL makes the sounds mellower and flat the UEL of the LGT header should give the 2.5i legacy the similar rumble) besides the fab part ( the part to connect the header to the rest of the exhaust and perhaps the cats do you forsee any other major issues ? I know this may seem childish to some members but to us it is more like (if it can be done we want to do it:spin: with good results and soundclips for all:lol:)

Keep it stock! It wont void the damn warranty and dont be too loud while u dont have turbo :eek:

This is easier to understand

Fart can + Turbo = COOL

Fart can + NA = ... :redface:

they sound nearly identical to the rest of the subbie world and FYI not many Legacy owner use "fart cans" :lol: you will find those on the Impreza site :rolleyes:

they sound nearly identical to the rest of the subbie world and FYI not many Legacy owner use "fart cans" :lol: you will find those on the Impreza site :rolleyes:

ya right, impreza owners go crazy for whatever called .."boxer rumble" (what's the point of making their cars sound like a v8 truck? :redface:)

Also, I believe there is one trying to make a "boxer rumble" fart can out of his 2.5i overhere :eek:

ya right, impreza owners go crazy for whatever called .."boxer rumble" (what's the point of making their cars sound like a v8 truck? :redface:)

Also, I believe there is one trying to make a "boxer rumble" fart can out of his 2.5i overhere :eek:

Well Id rather not engage in a pointless debate about the rumble and V8's and what you think etc etc. Your opinion is what it is but keep in mind you are on a Subaru enthusiast site were the rumble is a defining aspect of the culture to most and to the ones it isn't they still dont classify the efforts of those impreza or Legacy owners "silly" for bringing out the best in their cars(sound wise). Would you rather your car sound like a YZ 250? I think the rumble is just fine. I also would hate to give that asshole of a poster above anymore "bad English" to critique, so I will end this exchange of words.:rolleyes:;):lol:

Im sure ill get a "warning" again. :eek:

Archived