LegacyGT.com

2.5 LGT Header Mod to Fit 2.5i

I am trying to help the NA owners that are constantly asking about how to get more power.

NA, or FI, EL headers provide more power than UEL headers, period.

To the tune of 10 or more percent. It won't be a negligible loss. Again, it just makes me sad as this is a totally new definition of rice. Why not get the electronic device that adds a turbo sound?

I am fine with you doing this to YOUR personal car, because that is your choice. BUT DON"T LIE TO THE OTHER NA FOLKS OUT THERE AND TELL THEM THAT THERE WILL BE NEGLIGIBLE LOSSES.

You brought up the Honda, originally, not me...

:spin:

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am trying to help the NA owners that are constantly asking about how to get more power.

NA, or FI, EL headers provide more power than UEL headers, period.

To the tune of 10 or more percent. It won't be a negligible loss. Again, it just makes me sad as this is a totally new definition of rice. Why not get the electronic device that adds a turbo sound?

I am fine with you doing this to YOUR personal car, because that is your choice. BUT DON"T LIE TO THE OTHER NA FOLKS OUT THERE AND TELL THEM THAT THERE WILL BE NEGLIGIBLE LOSSES.

You brought up the Honda, originally, not me...

Listen to what the Eff you are saying " get a device that emulates a turbo" are you F-ing serious that is the MOST RICE THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. You know nothing of what you try to justify that is apparent you have numbers from a LGT you only reference LGT dyno charts and setup. I know first hand that the Borla UEL flows better than stock but not better than aftermarket EL header DUH we all know this!! But you keep spewing BS out of your mouth on a topic that you have nothing better to offer but " buy a turbo sound device" GTFOH serioulsy. You should be stripped of your Subaru for such a stupid comment.

What you keep missing is:

YOU FAILED TO READ THE THREAD(.) if you did you would know better than to enter in on page 5 talking such foolishness.

Now that the thread jack is over we can get back on topic.

Shtbxr make sure when you cut and weld that flange that you take a torch and heat that piece up really good cast iron requires a good bit of heat so that the weld and the surrounding material cool at or near the same rate. I think this mod makes for a sweet sounding EJ253 here is a clip of a Impreza 2.5i (MY 2007 ) same engine and exhaust setup with a modded WRX/LGT manifold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87In-g7ZVM]YouTube - Impreza 2.5i WRX Header Stromung Cat-Back[/ame]

This sounds great compared other attempts at the rumble

Seriously, please stop attacking me, or any other members for trying to help out...

I have built up 3 cars from stock to greater than 175% of there original HP #s. Only one was FI. In every case, going from UEL to EL headers increased HP EVERYWHERE in the powerband. On one car (a NA one) it added 20% to the upper end of the powerband, and 25% in the midrange w/ no loss at low rpms...

I am on page two, you are on page 5, and I have read the ENTIRE THREAD. I was here from the beginning trying to weigh in with the fact that you will hurt the performance of your car by a non-negligible amount.

So why is emulating a turbo sound with an electronic device anymore Rice than robbing your car of HP to make it sound like US Subarus? You realize that the higher performance Subarus that come out of Japan have EL headers from the Factory, don't you?

I said you can do whatever you want. I am just trying to give other folks with 2.5is the truth. This mod will hurt the performance of your car in a noticeable way, and would be truly be considered rice...

Seriously, please stop attacking me, or any other members for trying to help out...

I have built up 3 cars from stock to greater than 175% of there original HP #s. Only one was FI. In every case, going from UEL to EL headers increased HP EVERYWHERE in the powerband. On one car (a NA one) it added 20% to the upper end of the powerband, and 25% in the midrange w/ no loss at low rpms...

I am on page two, you are on page 5, and I have read the ENTIRE THREAD. I was here from the beginning trying to weigh in with the fact that you will hurt the performance of your car by a non-negligible amount.

So why is emulating a turbo sound with an electronic device anymore Rice than robbing your car of HP to make it sound like US Subarus? You realize that the higher performance Subarus that come out of Japan have EL headers from the Factory, don't you?

I said you can do whatever you want. I am just trying to give other folks with 2.5is the truth. This mod will hurt the performance of your car in a noticeable way, and would be truly be considered rice...

Thank you for pointing out a universally known fact. We will use your point in future decisions about UEL header additions to our n/A cars. :rolleyes: Now that youve told us something we already know yet again can you please stay on topic????? If this isn't too much to ask. :mad:

So..........Thanks for that. I think you should post that graph over on NASIOC going from UEL to EL. just to let the others know the loss of this mod. i'm done arguing now. i'll just post my progress as this get's done. today I decided on just using the EJ20K manifold. looks to have some nice gradual turns in the path of all the ports. Also each side has the ports separated for about 8 inches before they join togther. Pretty sure this should help scavenging more than the regular WRX/LGT setup where they join up just barely out of the head. I pulled all the pieces apart, blasted the left, and center section. Got them coated w/ some white satin ceramic paint, cleaned the center heat shield, and used some high temp flat black for them, and reassembled the left to center w/ shield. next step, I will be creating a Jig based off my stock manifold to create a template using the right head flange to the exiting flange. Then, install it to the turbo manifold after removing the exiting flange, and putting in the three bolt flange and pipe to get it ready for a "bolt-in" deal.

Because other owners might actually listen to the OP :spin:

I like how you and your pal try to make me out as selling false performance. Ive never said this will result in POWER how many times do i have to type that? Every person interested in this thread is aware that this results in low end tq and power loss Ive never stated different. I guess as a mod you use redundancy as a weapon until the opposition gets tired or ignores you. I choose the latter. You are hopeless.

Shtbxr just curious as to why you used a EJ20Z instead of EJ255 or EJ257 ? Make sure to get some pictures or your work I would like to see that ceramic coating.

I used an EJ20K one. (Ver. 4 STi) it has more smooth looking flow through the cast pieces. my other choice was an EJ20G. I had no option to buy the 2.5 manifolds, so these are what I got, and I used what looked to be the better of the two. as far as flow, and scavenging goes. (I don't think there is a EJ20Z, he he)

I like how you and your pal try to make me out as selling false performance. Ive never said this will result in POWER how many times do i have to type that? Every person interested in this thread is aware that this results in low end tq and power loss Ive never stated different. I guess as a mod you use redundancy as a weapon until the opposition gets tired or ignores you. I choose the latter. You are hopeless.
Seriously? I have to use weapons as a mod? The interesting part is other than a very well-known poster who worshipped the Spec-B, I have never had any confrontations as a mod. YOu started by attacking ANYONE who actually questioned adding a rice mod to the 2.5i.

You can most definitely have your thread. YOu have definitely illustrated that you have no place in any of the technical forums where people would actually like advice that helps :(

Well hold on now then engine makes the sounds we are merely letting that sound out. Out of phase that is :lol: Dude wasnt that vid SICK?!?!?!? Once you finish your mod you gotta get a clip up many will be interested in your rice conversion :lol: you know making a subaru sound like a subaru

Yes, I think so because it is modding the car to sound like another car, at the expense of power...

ok, just checking. I guess my car will end up being "rice", and a poser. it has a home depot lip w/ STi limited badge. and Rota center caps w/ STi overlays, and will soon sound like a turbo subaru. All I am disappointed about is hearing rice having to do with my car. I associate rice to my car having fart cans with its current exhaust manifold. if it sounded like a stock GT, I would just think it sounded pretty slick. I am not going to put some melon shooters on the back of it. I am just trying to achieve a stock GT sound in the cabin because in the cabin is where most things matter to me......because Hey! that's where I am. don't fret mon ami. I will be making that power loss up later with some cams, hybrid intake, forged pistons and a little "juice" :cool:

Gee-otto - what's the difference b/w this "mod" & the header we're rallying to get developed over in the other thread?

Well this is topic is old but at first I couldnt find a shop for our cause :) So I had the idea of using a OEM durable piece to make a UEL header for our guys. The LGT header fits perfectly it just dumps directly into our lower control arm. So you simply cut off the two bolt flange and weld on a three bolt flange and you have a UEL header style manifold that makes great sound ( watch the vid) but like the mod stated 100 times it does result in a loss on low end power and trq but it performs well midrange and up top( personally if you drive a 2.5i like the rest of us you would know that you already dont have low end power even with the stock EL manifold but we wont let that out) So in real life not cyber space i didnt feel a difference before or after and you can go back to stock in 9 bolts if you dont like it.

Oh one more thing you can chop the X-pipe and weld in a cat with bungs and use your factory sensors

ok, just checking. I guess my car will end up being "rice", and a poser. it has a home depot lip w/ STi limited badge. and Rota center caps w/ STi overlays, and will soon sound like a turbo subaru. All I am disappointed about is hearing rice having to do with my car. I associate rice to my car having fart cans with its current exhaust manifold. if it sounded like a stock GT, I would just think it sounded pretty slick. I am not going to put some melon shooters on the back of it. I am just trying to achieve a stock GT sound in the cabin because in the cabin is where most things matter to me......because Hey! that's where I am. don't fret mon ami. I will be making that power loss up later with some cams, hybrid intake, forged pistons and a little "juice" :cool:

No you are a ricer I cant believe that you would sacrifice power that you never made to start for the sweet rumble. I mean you just killed like 40 crank horses and like 7 wheel horses or something close to that :lol:

Let me know about that EJ20Z manifold ill msg you again just in case the mod uses his or hers "powers" and kicks me off the forum due to non compliance with his or her ideas about rice and sound and LGT dyno chart about N/A cars :eek::lol:( I wish we could all laugh collectively and not have cyber anger?:p)

you went from 07 to 05?

told u, I learned a lesson from modding my 07 impreza too much and decide to trade in to get a stock 05 2.5i leggy. The millage was the same by the time I traded and the leggy was much nicer :cool:

Archived