LegacyGT.com

2.5 LGT Header Mod to Fit 2.5i

told u, I learned a lesson from modding my 07 impreza too much and decide to trade in to get a stock 05 2.5i leggy. The millage was the same by the time I traded and the leggy was much nicer :cool:

When your mods are done wrong what other choice do you have? If they are done right youll never know it was modded to start with.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an EJ20K silly! Here are the pics of the left, and center finished. also the right side pre-modified. note how long each port is separated until they join....unlike the regular turbo manifolds.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0603091745.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0603091740.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0603091746.jpg

and yes, I cut off the heat shield bolt hole tabs off the left one before coating. I will be removing the ones off the right one as well. just gotta get that jig made up. :(

In addition, I would like to add a comment to anyone else that would like to try this. Keep the center heat shield attached. when I took it off for clean-up/coating, I noticed how much more floppy the pipe felt without the heat shield. It does provide some support, so.....leave it.

I wouldn't want to monitor just the left bank as far as Air/Fuel is concerned, which I would have to do if I used the stock locations. I will most likely be extending both sensors, and putting the A/F sensor in the bung of the manifold before the flange for an accurate 4 cylinder A/F reading. Then place the O2 behind the other cat. the only thing I am concerned with is if the second cat gets hot enough to do its job. if not, I will have to get a cat that bolts right up to the manifold flange, and hack up the mid-pipe.

True good point but if you want maximum heat getting to that cat the closer the better and it wouldnt be difficult to put a Three bolt flange on a cat. Thats the one of the best things about the stock header is that little short catalytic converter integrated into the manifold. But older Legacies 05 and back have that "cat section" that is further away from the engine but right after the manifold. Im sure you have it figured out.

What does the passenger side collector look like have you chopped it yet?

Not cut yet. I am in the process of trimming the excess crap off of it, and some casting flash. here it is now. not even close yet:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/star91281/0604091356.jpg

Sounds cool! I wanna see how this turns out. BTW they do have turbo kits for the N/A engine that produces 3-5 PSI boost. If you are going that far why not go a little further.

Once I get my car running again, where would I find one of these turbo kits??

Shtbxr i got a ej20 manifold in after I sold the other two Ej257 manifolds I bought and had an idea to help in your rear o2 issue why dont you just buy a cat with a bung in place and use that for the rear and the stock location in the right bank collector for the upstream o2 sensor?????????????

yeah, but witht he borlas, you get a UEL headder and maybe some increased HP. with what you are doing as other have stated, you will get a HP/torque decrease making you car slower.

BTW, ive heard the 2.5i with the borla headder, and it sounds very good.

I already planned for a power loss. the one reason for the turbo manifold versus the borla.....money. I'd have to get the header, then reroute the remainder of the exhaust to the catback, and buy a cat, and weld all that up. this way, I use a dirt cheap manifold, and relocate one sensor. the only major pain in the ass thing with what I'm doing is the labor. thank god for my wallet "I got the skills to pay da' bills" ;)

I already planned for a power loss. the one reason for the turbo manifold versus the borla.....money. I'd have to get the header, then reroute the remainder of the exhaust to the catback, and buy a cat, and weld all that up. this way, I use a dirt cheap manifold, and relocate one sensor. the only major pain in the ass thing with what I'm doing is the labor. thank god for my wallet "I got the skills to pay da' bills" ;)

Nice nice and yeah whitetiger we've heard it ALL before you lose low end TRQ with the borla THIS you cant say that about b/c NO ONE has ever dyno'd it with this mod i think this design will be a very good one. So this jig you will use it bolt a EJ255 after you chop off the 2 bolt flange and weld the 3 botl flange to it??????????????? Now Shtbxr22 when are you making mine :rolleyes:

Also I forgot to show you I cut my EJ 20 Manifold up Sat. I just need to get the three bolt welded on ill post a picture of it soon it is in the trunk of my car. Side note welding mild steel to cast isnt that much of a paint actually it isnt bad at all. I to also lopped off the heat shield tabs well two of them. The biggest difference in the Ej20T is that is doesnt have o2 bung like the EJ25/257 but the Cat has two so That should work fine.

Archived