LegacyGT.com

Stock GT 5EAT is as fast as...

imahawki

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
trying to buy the fastest car to race?:rolleyes:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

A co-worker has a 2005 LGT 5EAT. We also have a 2003 and 2005 Accord V6/ 5EAT and a 2006 OBW 3.0R (5EAT).

We've tested the H6 and LGT side-by side to around 70 mph and they're very close.

The LGT owner feels that the V6 Accord is a little quicker, but they are also quite close. The Accord is a little lighter but if there is a hint of moisture on the road, the front wheels spin.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Sorry, no I'm not trying to buy the fastest car to race. There are a heck of a lot faster cars for the same amount of money if that were the case. The questions were open ended on purpose because I just wanted people to start talking comparisons. I'm talking all new 2008/2009 models all with automatics. I don't race I'm just trying to build an understanding of the real-world performance of the car. And how much performance suffers with the auto vs. manual since most stats available are for manuals.

Also I'm definitely weighting the AWD since I live in Omaha, NE. I.e. if a V6 Camry/Accord and an LGT are equally quick, the nod easily goes to the LGT for the AWD. Again, just feeling things out. I don't expect anyone to make a decision for me.

Thanks guys. Again, I'm not a racer... its never going to the track. I don't street race but I do drive aggressively when the situation is safe and I like a responsive car. I've never driven a turbo. Every winter here I swear my next car is going to be AWD. I used to have a Ram but went back to a car for fuel economy reasons. I don't need an SUV but I liked the 4WD and know Subarus have a lot of safety features besides the AWD.

Thanks guys. Again, I'm not a racer... its never going to the track. I don't street race but I do drive aggressively when the situation is safe and I like a responsive car. I've never driven a turbo. Every winter here I swear my next car is going to be AWD. I used to have a Ram but went back to a car for fuel economy reasons. I don't need an SUV but I liked the 4WD and know Subarus have a lot of safety features besides the AWD.

I'm in Omaha too and I can tell you the Subaru LGT is awesome in these Nebraska winters. I have an '09 LGT (5MT) Best car I've ever owned, and this is coming from a Tahoe Z71 and then having a Mustang GT before. Build quality is much better than the American counter parts, and superior gas mileage. Despite being a 4 banger, the LGT has a very strong 1st and 2nd gear. I didn't miss the torque that my old V8s had.

Driving a turbo is easy on these cars because the power band is very smooth. It's not a jolting "WHAM" hit you in the face, type boost. Go test drive one at Stan Olsen and talk to Brent. Is there a reason you don't want to go with the manual? Just curious.

I have the 06' 5EAT 3.0R, and it's pretty quick. From riding with my friend in his 2001 LGT 4EAT (twin scroll), I feel I am just as quick.

But I didn't buy it to be the fast guy on the block. I just wanted something with some zip, and AWD. And the AWD pays for itself, so I would either buy an LGT/3.0 or go for a G37X (if you can afford one).

one thing to look at as well when considering/comparing the camry and accord is modability.

(is that a word? :confused: )

Even if the stock to stock LGT 5EAT and camry/accord are dead on in speed, for fairly cheap you can go stage 1 on the LGT and if you're daring and dont race it you could probably go stage 2 and not have major problems.

a G37 or a mustang GT? Honeslty unless you're stage 2 I'd say (and this is really a guess with no factual data, just perceptoin from driving these and my lgt) they'd probably have you by a bumper at least if it really came down to it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The G35 and the Mustang will give you trouble in a street race.

All others you should either race for cash, or for pinks.

Honestly, all those cars would give the LGT trouble if you're not modded and you're racing from a roll.

The G35 sedan and the Mustang will annihilate you so don't even try.

one thing to look at as well when considering/comparing the camry and accord is modability.

(is that a word? :confused: )

Even if the stock to stock LGT 5EAT and camry/accord are dead on in speed, for fairly cheap you can go stage 1 on the LGT and if you're daring and dont race it you could probably go stage 2 and not have major problems.

a G37 or a mustang GT? Honeslty unless you're stage 2 I'd say (and this is really a guess with no factual data, just perceptoin from driving these and my lgt) they'd probably have you by a bumper at least if it really came down to it.

Even if you're stage 2 the G37 and the Mustang GT (which will most likely have at least CAI + tune) will destroy you. The new G37 sedan is running the quarter in mid 13s @106-107. Their 7AT is really efficient and surprisingly the car traps the same as a VQ35HR through the 1/4. The Mustang GT is cheap to make fast just like the LGT but the thing is they start with 300hp and making 310rwhp is not hard with bolt ons. Both of those cars will have a much better top end than the LGT so if you can't hang with them from 10-70mph, it's over.

I dont know about the 35 "annihilating" the LGT but the 37 might. The problem with the G37 is its peak HP is rated at 9k rpm.. so unless the driver that you're up against is prepared to scream the engine(which would happen at the track..) you may have an edge. I test drove a G37S coupe and I wasn't impressed at all wih the car honestly.

in a dragrace scenario you're going to be stomped on by a mustang GT.. BUT.. they still hve a solid axle.. so I imagine if you raced them on a road course you may have a slight edge even with the 5EAT.. you may want to run "manumatic" in that kind of thing tho..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

A DSG GLI would give a 5EAT a real good run. :)

How did I know you were going to write something vw related :lol:. I want to go up against a dsg gti and see how I do. I still really love the gti so yeah im always comparing them.

If you are concerned about performance, buy the MT Legacy GT. You sacrifice too much with the auto trans.

I have an '05 5MT. It has done wonderful in two ice-storms we've had down here in Oklahoma over the past year. In one case, I passed four cars that couldn't make it up a hill, some of which were front-wheel drive.

5MT = Performance and traction in snow/ice. Don't pass it up.

The new G37 sedan is running the quarter in mid 13s @106-107. Their 7AT is really efficient and surprisingly the car traps the same as a VQ35HR through the 1/4.

Bench race much?

While they are fairly quick from a roll, they are not 106-107 trap quick. There is a team of g37's that frequent my local track (4-5 coupes and sedans). They all are visably modded, while they clearly aren't the best of drivers they are solid mid 14 to low 14 secs vehicles trapping in the upper 90's. With a great driver even modded, I wouldn't give them much more than a high 13 sec run.

This is all at my local track in which a stg 2 LGT is a solid mid 13 sec performer at about the same trap speed.

FWIW From what I have seen the V6 Camry can hold its own on the highway as well. I would give it the nod over a stock 5eat LGT from a roll.

How did I know you were going to write something vw related :lol:. I want to go up against a dsg gti and see how I do. I still really love the gti so yeah im always comparing them.

A buddy of mine owns an R32 (I know, not the same). It was pretty close when I was Stg1, Stg2 made him mad though.

Ford mustang gt with an auto is a dog, has anyone even driven one, fords auto trannys rob soo much power. The pre-05 autos would take almost 30% of the power from the crank to the wheels. The mach 1 auto for example most people have trouble getting out of the 14s and with the 5 speed people have gone low to mid 13s all day. Its a night and day diff with the ford auto compared to the 5 speed.

30% sounds about the same as the % that our 5EAT robs from us. The difference here is tho that we have a few more wheels to turn with that power.

I have driven the auto mustang and I agree with you, I wasn't overly impressed, but I never got up on it either.

Fidn a dealer with an auto and 5 speed mahc 1 and drive them back to back. I did and omg was the auto a slug compared to the 5 speed, it looses way more power has far less agressive ratios in the tranny and rear gears. And the mach 1 auto is still faster than the 05+ gt auto, i would say a 05+ mustang gt auto is a low 14 second high 13 on a great day car.

Archived