LegacyGT.com

Stock GT 5EAT is as fast as...

imahawki

I get nervous test driving manuals. I have a hard time adjusting quickly to them, especially since most if not all new cars are hydraulic clutch. I'm better at the older mechanical clutches like in 60s cars.

plus its kind of hilly where I live. :lol: and making a fool out of myself when theres no way I'm buying their car.

I have driven the 5MT LGT in stock form.From what I can tell stage 1 5EAT is about on par with stock 5MT. They feel the same from the driver seat to me.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. I drive 25 miles to work every morning. it takes an hour to 1.5 hours to do. ATL is rather hilly, more than I would have imagined.. so I'm glad my DD is an AT.

I'm not sure what you're coming off of hawki but the LGT 5EAT is one of the best ATs I've driven. Its responsive, shifts well, and the manumatic mode is very responsive. A lot of manumatics on the market take your shift motion as a suggestion which drives me crazy. With the LGT 5EAT you can engine brake with it. I dont recommend that as a REPLACEMENT for braking, but it works well.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

How did I know you were going to write something vw related :lol:. I want to go up against a dsg gti and see how I do. I still really love the gti so yeah im always comparing them.

Because I'm a dubber at heart! The only reason I'm in the Subaru is for the AWD. It's not to say I don't love my Subaru, I just miss my VW :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine owns an R32 (I know, not the same). It was pretty close when I was Stg1, Stg2 made him mad though.

Don't get me started on R32s. What the heck was VW thinking? Only 250HP out of their VR? Please, for the price of the R32, I'd buy the new STi. Even though I'm a dubber, VW could have done better with the MKV R32. One of my buddies is running a Stage IV MK IV R32. The thing puts down about 550HP and she hauls. Nothing like the sound and speed of a FI VR.

Amen to the r32 thought, would have bought it if it wasn't so expensive! Yea i still find myself going to mkv forums alot, lol.

Now if they would actually make the R36 in the golf chassis we would be set! The only problem there is, fitting the 3.6 under the golfs hood, the engine bay is too small.

If you were to buy the manual, you could take most of those cars, and it will out handle all of them (AT or MT) which i dont think anyone has mentioned. With the MT you can hit sixty in just over 5 seconds, whcih is quicker than all, barr the Mustang but you dont want one of them nasty things, plus to get a 5 second 60 in the mustang your gna have to know what you're doing or you'll just spin those back tires all day long.

If you're comparing by performance you probably need to be looking at the MT trims too, in AT form the perfomance becomes rather redundant.

I would give any of those cars you listed a run for their money in my wagon, its just over stock.

I've been driving manual all my life though, I've only owned 2 AT cars n im 46 so I'm used to hill starts n crawling in traffic, n all those other circumstances were you wish you were driving an auto.

Give the MT a try before you knock it, you may be surprized!

IMO, if you are buying a 5EAT, you pretty much HAVE to go stage I.

A Stock 5EAT is only moderately quick, and is just about equal to most 6cyl family vehicles out there (camry, accord, etc). It's probably in the 6.5 0-60sec area. Anything above 60mph and you'll really be hurting against a bigger displacement engine. (I'm assuming you're comparing automatic to automatic).

Some of the manual ones will even outrun you - an 09 accord coupe runs the 0-60 in about 6 seconds flat.

At stage I, which can be had for $70 for a tactrix cable + opensource tune, you'll be able to outrun the normal family sedans, and keep it pretty close with the g35's and mustangs. Of course, if they mod, you'll lose.

Stage II is a whole different game, but from everything I've read it seems that the 5EAT is pretty fragile, so I don't intend to go that route.

Summary:

- if you want to stay stock, just buy a 6cyl vehicle instead

- if you want raw performance, go with the MT

- stage I will keep you pretty close with most vehicles. this is a good option if you want a vehicle with AWD

If I rebought today I wouldn't go with the LGT. I like it, but I miss the torque down low too much.

Has anyone actually timed a stage I 5EAT 0-60? My guess is it's somewhere between 5.5 and 6.0s. Stage II 5EAT's are running 13.5 1/4 mile times I think.

I have a stage 2 5eat that has probably been launched at 3krpms atleast 30-40 times by me. No problems soo far at 54kmiles. As for power down low stage 2 really helped with that. I hit full boost at 2900rpms and you really start to feel it at 2500ish. All i did for stage 2 was gut the up pipe and down pipe and put an open source tune on it. The 5eat is really not the way to go if you want performance. If you want a auto car that you can make fast some day i would say none of the cars on the list fit the bill. I dont plan on going past stage 2 on this car if i did i would have gotten a 5mt. BTW i went a 13.67 @ 101mph

I have a stage 2 5eat that has probably been launched at 3krpms atleast 30-40 times by me. No problems soo far at 54kmiles. As for power down low stage 2 really helped with that. I hit full boost at 2900rpms and you really start to feel it at 2500ish. All i did for stage 2 was gut the up pipe and down pipe and put an open source tune on it. The 5eat is really not the way to go if you want performance. If you want a auto car that you can make fast some day i would say none of the cars on the list fit the bill. I dont plan on going past stage 2 on this car if i did i would have gotten a 5mt. BTW i went a 13.67 @ 101mph

Just curious...if you -were- going to go auto/DSG, what car would you use as a starting point for raw performance + bang-for-the-buck?

Something like an old f-body?

Most people with mt LGTs run 14 flat at 97ishmph, the 5mt can launch alot harder than the auto but a 4mph difference in trap speed is where my stage 2 really shines. It shows that my auto is putting more power to the ground than a manual, and stock obviously autos put less power to the ground, so i closed the gap and more over a stock mt with about 200 bucks in mods. And if i was gonna go with best bang for buck auto then yes a ls1(98-02) f-body would be what i would go with. With bolt ons a stall and some drag radials and rear end gears( a good 2k-3k in mods) i have seen auto f-bodies run mid 12s some even low 12s. And with a streetable cam(another 800bucks or so for all the supporting mods and cam) makeing 380-410rwhp and the same mods i listed above i have seen low to mid 11s. So basically if you have 4k and a f-body you can go low to mid 11s and still be just as drivable and streetable as stock and still get 20+mpg freeway. F-bodys these days can be had for under 10k with 70k+ miles on them and i have seen bone stock f-bodys with over 200kmiles still dyno more than 300 to the wheels so these engines can last.

lso I'm definitely weighting the AWD since I live in Omaha, NE. I.e. if a V6 Camry/Accord and an LGT are equally quick, the nod easily goes to the LGT for the AWD. Again, just feeling things out. I don't expect anyone to make a decision for me.

I would recommend just driving the vehicles around during the day, and at night. I test drove an 08 Jetta turbo and an LGT limited. Both were similarly equipped with automatics. The Jetta is extremely smooth, especially when I didn't realize I was speeding. It sat higher than I like, though. When I gunned the Jetta from a stop, I got the tires to slip in dry conditions. The LGT never got loose (even with the crappy OEM tires). We could tell you all that you need, but taking a day to drive a few cars around will help you immensely. Also, night driving helps you to "see" the light pattern, interior illumination, and overall visibility. It adds to the experience of the test drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Get on youtube, and search Legacy GT vs S2000 hehe

S2000's are 14 sec 1/4 mile cars and are very quick on the roll. Imagine how a stock 5EAT would be molested on a roll. 5EAT average 15's. Manual LGTs are around 14 sec. Top end for our cars suck when we are stock as well. An S2000 and 350Z will blow the doors off you on the top end.

I have even ran with a 350Z and had my ass handed to me even when I was stage 1. Good thing our cars have amazingly mod happy engines.

(I hope that video is on a track.. cos otherwise isnt it an admission to illegal street racing?) you should have put "professional driver, closed course" in the video.

iirc posting anything about non closed course open road street racing, admitting that you did it, posting VIDEOS of it etc.. is equivalent to admission of guilt in a court of law and the forum owners can be subpoenaed for the evidence.

isnt that stickied somewhere? Maybe its changed.

From the looks of things i'd say that video is CLEARLY a closed road course ;) I mean there's no traffic.. too bad you and your S2000 buddy could only get a track spot for the night time tho. ;)

I forgot all about posting any kind of racing videos on these forums (im so used to being able to post videos on other motorsport enthusiast forums). I removed my video, better safe than sorry.

IMO, the LGT is a great daily driver with great performance. No matter how much you mod this car to be faster or handle better, its still a midsize sedan.

Archived