LegacyGT.com

Car takes longer to turn over now that it's cold...

So,

I'm not sure if this is just normal or not, but my last car didn't exhibit this behavior.

05 LGT, 5EAT, 35k miles or so.

Car always started perfectly in the last 8-9 months I've owned it. Now that it's getting colder out, it takes a good 4-6 cranks before it starts up. (Used to start in 1-2). Average temp right now is 30-40F.

Is this normal on these engines? I can't imagine a battery is going bad after only 3 years, but I suppose it's possible.

It's probably worth noting that I only drive the car about 2-3 times a week, so this could have something to do with it.

Should I have the battery checked out? Just assume it's normal? I just read about 'priming' the fuel pump, but that seems a little ridiculous on this level of car.

I'm not sure about the condition of the battery - all I can say is that it's about 3.5 years old now with 35k on it.

Oil is 5w30, pennzoil platinum synthetic with maybe 500 miles on it.. Car is stage I, if that matters at all.

After the first start of the day it will be fine.

You really need to drive the car more, 35,000 miles. I had that in about 16 months. Bought my car late June 04.

I'm at stage 1 also, but with 99.400+ miles, mine takes about 5-6 cranks too, it was 22 degress this afternoon. I wouldn't worry about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You really need to drive the car more, 35,000 miles.

Trust me... I know. I metro to work everyday though, so the car is basically the fastest grocery-getter ever.

I look for any excuse I can to take it out, but they are mostly short trips. I'm hoping to hit up a few road trips when it warms up and gas prices are down a bit.

Sadly, I've had this car now for 8 months and only put around 3,000-4,000 miles on it!

The stock battery is none too powerfull. Mine will start the car everytime but cranks slow. I planning to replace the stock 430 CCA battery with a WalMart 640 CCA for $72 soon.

In cold weather my car has always cranked very slow ,even when new. It always started but did not inspire conidence.

The stock battery is none too powerfull. Mine will start the car everytime but cranks slow. I planning to replace the stock 430 CCA battery with a WalMart 640 CCA for $72 soon.

In cold weather my car has always cranked very slow ,even when new. It always started but did not inspire conidence.

From the posts above, I think you are right. My guess is the stock battery is fairly weak to start with, and now the combination of 3.5yrs wear + cold weather is starting to show.

Like your car, mine has always started, but I get a little nervous everytime I have to fire it up the first time in the morning.

it seems like it's a common thing for the LGT from what I've read, and I'm having the same issue. cranked fine when its warm, takes a little longer when its cold. nothing crazy, but enough to notice that the timing is off. i hear its not uncommon to sometimes hear a little squeal when cranking when its very cold as well...

My 2008 Spec.B takes a bit to start when its real cold. Went out to start it this morning in 8 degree weather after it was sitting overnight. It took quite a few cranks and it didnt sound happy right away. It's a little weird, but it seems pretty normal... I think.

After owning my 2007 for a couple of weeks it started to have difficulty starting in the cold and then it started losing the radio presets. I thought battery so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the battery under warranty. Works like a champ. First time I ever had a battery go so quickly but it makes me wonder how the rest of the car was maintained by the previous owner. :(

Some batteries are just bad/weak, so it may not be a big problem. What you should do is to check the charging voltage since if it's too high the battery life will be shortened.

And another thing - also check out the cables to the battery, they are a bit on the weak side for starts in cold weather when the starter has to work hard.

453747.png

I just soaked down my battery terminals with some Corrosion Block. Hopefully it will help a bit with the battery connection.

If anyone's not familiar, it's a spray normally used on marine products/engines. My parents have sold it for years and it's always done a good job of keeping rust off terminals. I'll see if it makes any difference before I swap the battery.

But, ya, it sounds like a common issue that Subaru uses some cheapo batteries.

Yesterday it was around 20 degrees in NYC and it took slightly longer to crank on the inital startup. Throughout the day it was in the 30's and the car started right away w/o hesitation. I think it normally takes a extra crank or two during cold weather.

yup, I'd say normal. mine turns over slower and turns over more often sometimes before starting in this weather.

I'd suggest a battery tender for the winter if it starts turning slowly, just to keep the battery at max capacity w/o over charging it to minimize any turnover issues you may have.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I just soaked down my battery terminals with some Corrosion Block. Hopefully it will help a bit with the battery connection.

If anyone's not familiar, it's a spray normally used on marine products/engines. My parents have sold it for years and it's always done a good job of keeping rust off terminals. I'll see if it makes any difference before I swap the battery.

But, ya, it sounds like a common issue that Subaru uses some cheapo batteries.

I hope that you did clean the terminals first to get rid of any oxides otherwise it may not help much or even be bad news...

453747.png

Every battery has less CA (Cranking amps) when it gets colder. That is why they rate a CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) along side the CA. I'm not sure what the CA is rated, but the CCA is 550. Usually CA is about 100 higher than CCA. As the life of your battery goes down, so will the CA and the CCA.

A the temperature goes down, you're going to have less cranking amps. Combine that with a 3 year old battery that has been losing its CA and your going to have to turn the key a little longer... Not too much to complain about in my opinion.

Archived