LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

Good Fing riddance to the snow LOL

I'd much rather go play around in mud/dirt :)

well i

m disappointed because about 3 weeks before I got my car it was snowing here like every other week... 12 inchs and so on.. now nothing...

I kid you not I was about to freeze water in large cooking trays to sit under the rear wheels for testing since I have nothing slick near by..

no open land here in fairfield county if anyone has ever been to CT.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have rust on the bottom of one of my doors. How do you fix that?

And my '96 hasn't even hit 100,000 yet...

I'm not 100% sure. I tried rust repair twice on two different cars and it pretty much failed traumatically. I sanded to bare metal, applied light coat of bondo to fix imperfections, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, painted 2x, and clear coated 2x and the rust came back in 4-5 months. Blending on the car also failed.:redface:

I've been told to just sand down the best i can and to apply a product called POR15 before the primer. Never tried it, but I did google the product and it looks kind of promising. Maybe I'll order some.

I'm considering buying replacement doors all together. A buddy on another site is offering me 3 of them for 75 bucks and they're spruce pearl (same as my car) so I wouldn't have to paint them. You really can't go wrong with that.

I don't think it is to bad on my door, can't see it from the outside. Just if you look at the bottom when it is open.

As for POR15, I have heard some good stuff about it. I have a friend who treated the whole bottom of his tacoma, and the painted it with POR15. he seems to be pretty happy with it.

Nice...my antennae is making a jamming noise when it goes down now. And it doesn't retract all the way....it stay's up about a half an inch.

How does one go about fixing that?

Heh, mine no longer moves at all any more. It was doing something similar to what yours does (mine wouldn't go up more than a couple inches) and one day it just never came back up. I saw a tutorial on nasioc to fix it, apparently a plastic gear wears down or chips and you can get a new one. Just been too lazy and I rarely ever use the radio.

Try searching nasioc for "Power Antenna" and you'll probably find the thread I'm talking about

• 2 weeks later...

My 98 gt is now trying to suffocate me with coolant fumes - me thinks the heater core is leaking.....which means major labor to take the dash apart, move the steering column, etc....just to get at the plenum box that holds the heater core! Great design...not!

Aside from an engine rebuild at 110,000, two clutches, shocks, alternator, brakes/rotors, the unfixable EGR 400 CODE, rust holes forming in the trunklid, fenders, and under the doors, a broken sunroof track motor, I could go on, but the piece of crap is paid for, it's literally crumbling away..........162000 and still sputtering away!

That said, I was driving home from work, and saw a guy in a new WRX going up my main drag near home, and he gave me the thumbs up sign....I couldn't help but laugh as to the ridiculousness of it all....subaru owners have got to all be nutz.

I'm not 100% sure. I tried rust repair twice on two different cars and it pretty much failed traumatically. I sanded to bare metal, applied light coat of bondo to fix imperfections, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, painted 2x, and clear coated 2x and the rust came back in 4-5 months. Blending on the car also failed.:redface:

I've been told to just sand down the best i can and to apply a product called POR15 before the primer. Never tried it, but I did google the product and it looks kind of promising. Maybe I'll order some.

I'm considering buying replacement doors all together. A buddy on another site is offering me 3 of them for 75 bucks and they're spruce pearl (same as my car) so I wouldn't have to paint them. You really can't go wrong with that.

I have a hole aft of the rear wheel well that I put that rust converter on after grinding off the rust. Since it was going to rain, and I didn't want my handiwork to get wet, I applied some black electrical tape to cover the hole....two years later, the tape is still sticking, and the rust hole has not enlarged! I refuse to put any money into the car that is purely for cosmetics. The car is silver, and it looks terrible w/ black tape on it, but the craptastic tape works amazingly well!

Good idea with the tape...

I had some scratches on my rear bumper. Silver sharpie is almost exactly the same colour as my car. From 2 feet away you can't tell :)

So if you have a silver car, get a sharpie!

You could probably sharpie the tape and it would blend in a lot better.

That said, I was driving home from work, and saw a guy in a new WRX going up my main drag near home, and he gave me the thumbs up sign....I couldn't help but laugh as to the ridiculousness of it all....subaru owners have got to all be nutz.

That's rare since WRX and STI owners tend to all act like snobs like they are the best ******* thing on the road...

I don't bother to wave to anyone until I'm headed to a Subaru meet.. not worth my time or effort.

What does a wheel bearing really sound like when it's going out. Just got back from a 2 thousand mile trip up to Canada with 4 people in the back and I think the rear left bearing is making some noise. From 40 down to 25 I hear what I'd describe as a growl/whine. Can only hear it between 40 and 25mph when slowing or rather, when not accelerating.

That was your 666th post.

Yep, 4 people in the back. My LGT is also known as "the clown car".

I meant to say 4 people in the car. I may have had a bad bearing which got damaged some more to audible levels now that I put so many miles with a loaded car. 99% of the time there are only 2 people at most in it.

oh, man. i'm sorry. i just have to chuckle reading about these problems. i'm lucky so far. i have a 1996 lsi that i bought from...you guessed it. a little old lady. she (the car) only had 45k miles when i bought her. 2 yrs later and i've put on about 32k. still runs well. takes me to the snow, work, dates (not the coolest car but it gets us places) sure little wear and tear items have been replaced.

changed rear brakes at 48k. changed out the wires and plugs for the halogen headlamps. one burned out, replaced both just in case. i have to replace the door switch panel. $118 for the panel when all i needed was to replace just the driver's side window switch!

just drained the coolant, which looked okay, and hoses. next i'll replace the plugs, change diff fluid, tranny fluid, plugs. she should be good for another 30k until the timing belt needs to be replaced. by then i'll probably sell her and look for another subie owned by a little old lady.

That's rare since WRX and STI owners tend to all act like snobs like they are the best ******* thing on the road...

I don't bother to wave to anyone until I'm headed to a Subaru meet.. not worth my time or effort.

In all reality, the guy was kinda young-ish, so he probably thought my ancient 1998 GT [w/ the hood scoop that directs air to the master brake cylinder!] was some old WRX.......little did he know that he was breaking the WRX snob code of honor.....

And, for Clown Car - it does sound like your bearing is going....pretty soon it will sing in all the rpm ranges, and oh, what a symphony that will be!

that 2.2 is indestructible from what I hear...

oh, man. i'm sorry. i just have to chuckle reading about these problems. i'm lucky so far. i have a 1996 lsi that i bought from...you guessed it. a little old lady. she (the car) only had 45k miles when i bought her. 2 yrs later and i've put on about 32k. still runs well. takes me to the snow, work, dates (not the coolest car but it gets us places) sure little wear and tear items have been replaced.

changed rear brakes at 48k. changed out the wires and plugs for the halogen headlamps. one burned out, replaced both just in case. i have to replace the door switch panel. $118 for the panel when all i needed was to replace just the driver's side window switch!

just drained the coolant, which looked okay, and hoses. next i'll replace the plugs, change diff fluid, tranny fluid, plugs. she should be good for another 30k until the timing belt needs to be replaced. by then i'll probably sell her and look for another subie owned by a little old lady.

well this week it is 2 blown rear struts and a bent rim thanks to these wonderful PA roads...I also did the rear clutches/tailshaft on tranny in December...not too sure if I posted that or not...I had some serious torque bind...

I need money to spend on vacation in a few weeks so the fronts will be replaced when they beg for it...

And, for Clown Car - it does sound like your bearing is going....pretty soon it will sing in all the rpm ranges, and oh, what a symphony that will be!

I guess I'll miss out :redface: The clown car has been dropped off this morning at the shop for repair.

How much are these things to replace? Wheel bearings, I mean.

• 1 month later...

My front caliper seized a few weeks back.

I just replaced the front rotors, pads, and calipers. $500 I wish I could have spent elsewhere.

I love the frameless windows though. They make me feel special on a nice spring day.

My front caliper seized a few weeks back.

I have a lazy caliper... after I take my foot of the brakes it rubs for a while, then stops. I can tell because that rotor is a lot hotter than the other one.

Hopefully I can just take the piston out, and lube it. Or something.

Archived