LegacyGT.com

The "My Legacy is Falling Apart Thread"

SLegacy99

I need to replace my FRH wheel bearings as well along with the rubber boot. Something ripped it and all my grease/lube came out so it got all dried up (My guess anyway. Haven't looked yet) But, now when I come to a stop or begin to move forward, I can hear a *crack* sound. However, I haven't noticed a wobble (yet) and it makes no noise while the wheel is spinning. *shrug* I'm at 75K miles on her thus far.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did my LR bearing, I wasn't feeling any wobble but it was definitely howling. I had it in gear with the car on a lift and you could hear it standing anywhere in the shop....

Only took a hour or so to replace, you need access to a press though. And since it involves removing the axle and a lot of suspension bits it would be safe to have your alignment checked afterward.

And eekay, it's probably good to do your whole axle if the boot has been torn for any significant amount of time. If you have a shop do it the labor is the same so you'll only be spending a little bit more, and since it's been opened and especially since you mention the cracking there's a chance something's gotten in there and damaged the joint.

Bought mine June 1st. June 7th, it blew a head gasket. Replaced all the gaskets and seals as well as replaced the plastic oil separator cover on the back of the engine with the updated metal one. Replaced plugs and wires. Put on new front pads (Hawk HPS) and rotors and flushed the brake fluid. Drained and refilled the transmission (will replace the filter and add an external cooler when I finally rebound from getting laid off).

Overall the car runs fantastic and is in very good condition. The car has 151,xxx miles on it and it drives like it has 50k on it. The only remaining problems are that the car stumbles a split second right when you first take off (I think it is the MAF, may have gotten damaged while the car was apart, fuel trims are way positive at idle and way negative while cruising, typical sign of MAF failure) and it makes a ticking noise that sounds like valvetrain noise from a single valve, yet the lash adjustment is right on and there is no visually obvious problems.

Still, I'm very happy with the car. After having FWD for a while, including 1 fairly high power FWD car, I'm really enjoying the traction of AWD.

The same exact thing happened to my 98. I bought it at the exact same time as you! (What a coincidence!). Anyways, about two weeks in it overheated once, kinda strange, and then it just kept getting more and more frequent. I had the head gaskets replaced last year, and everything is working awesome! I love the car, just got back from a decent trip with it and it performed better than I could ever imagine! I love my Subie!

And eekay, it's probably good to do your whole axle if the boot has been torn for any significant amount of time. If you have a shop do it the labor is the same so you'll only be spending a little bit more, and since it's been opened and especially since you mention the cracking there's a chance something's gotten in there and damaged the joint.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I figured the cost would be just a little more if I had a shop do the work for me as the parts will most likely be a bit pricey (Although, I haven't priced anything out yet.) The boot has been torn for a long, LONG time as far as I can tell. It's pretty bone dry in there. :( Thanks for the info. I'll call around.

+1

I tried to say something similar earlier, but my keyboard was acting up and I gave up.

Does the car make the noise when accelerating/turning?

Wheel bearings don't really click, CV shafts do. :) If you do them both at once you'll save in the long run.

Yeah. I thought this too. However, the crack ONLY happens when I begin to move. And it only cracks one time. Just an immediate *TICK* and then nothing at all until I come to a stop again. Sometimes, it'll crack when I hit the brakes but I generally don't notice due to my exhaust and music drowning it out. But, during acceleration and turning, no sound at all. I certainly hope it isn't anything REALLY bad inside my transmission or something. But, a buddy and I are quite certain it is coming from the wheel. I'll swing her down to Super Rupair when I get a chance. I need an alignment anyway as I'm going through tires like toilet paper after my D2 coil-over install.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

The same exact thing happened to my 98. I bought it at the exact same time as you! (What a coincidence!). Anyways, about two weeks in it overheated once, kinda strange, and then it just kept getting more and more frequent. I had the head gaskets replaced last year, and everything is working awesome! I love the car, just got back from a decent trip with it and it performed better than I could ever imagine! I love my Subie!

That is wacky. Ever since getting it back on the road, I've been really happy with the car. Just took a short highway trip, got a solid 25mpg, which is pretty good for a mid-size AWD automatic sedan. My friend only wishes he could get that with his STI. :) There are plenty of things that I want to improve on (mainly the suspension and the power right now, those are the two glaring deficiencies) but that's what I do. I'm a mechanic by day, and a "tuner" on the weekends, so that's just the way I am. :)

1998 GT Update [168k] - still haven't gotten round to replacing my black electrical tape rust spot hole cover-ups.....two new rust thru spots on my trunk rear by the license plate edge and a new one on the rear of the right rear wheel well - it's inspiring to watch the decay occur before my eyes!

Heater core leak moved into asphyxiate level upon engine warm up. Noticing coolant moisture visibly accumulating on rubber winter floor mat on right side. Took the SubaHeap to my local fix'emup to do a $60 bypass - effectively taking the heater core out of the loop. While there, I had them throw on some new rear rotors/pads cuz I'm just too lazy to do it myself. Whole sha-bing came to about 240 bux....

But, when I went to pick up the car [good thing I live close cuz I rode my bicycle], he was puzzled, drove me around and said "listen - do you hear that? Was that there when you brought it in?" I sayz 'NO" [it really wasn't]. We discovered that when the car turns left/right, the brake rotors seem to make a scraping sound - either the emergency/park brake is hanging up, or they got the wrong rotors and they're not sitting on the axle seats.....as I sit here at home watching the hours tick away from work....which means I have to make up the hours, and once again, the SubaHeap strikes deep into my busy rock star lifestyle!!!!!

Ahh, gotta stock up on bubble gum, duct tape, and bailing wire....

1999 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 5 speed. 134k Miles.

- Front end Noise over small bumps (some kind of bushing, tie rod, ball joint, not sure)

- Exaust Squeals at highish RPM, small leak I think

- Brakes squeek while driving

- Rear wiper Motor died

- Some small Body rust spots.. Most of witch are now fixed unprofessionally (by me, and it shows I suck at body work)

- AC needs to be recharged

- Clifford Security system that was installed by previous owner(s) is really messed up, resulting in odd, and loud noises sometimes after turning the car off (noises from speakers)

- Headlight adjusters are both broke so I have a beam aimed straight down. Very dangerous to drive with

- Burns 500ml of oil every 5000 kms

- Heatshield rattles very very bad. Its embarrassing.

I guess nothing to serious, except the headlight issue as its hard to see at night. I live in Rural New Brunswick (think Rural Maine) with many moose and deer collisions. With any luck ill be sporting some new headlamps soon. The rear wiper is not much of an issue yet, I will need to fix it before winter however.

1997 Legacy L Wagon (EJ22 engine) Auto.

Mileage: 220,950

Current issues:

-overheating issue within 5mins, no white smoke, oil level/color is fine (see my other thread in regards to this)

-check engine light on code: knock sensor

-AT oil temp light flashes upon startup, told it was a solenoid problem. Have had this problem since the day of purchase 4yrs ago. Some pinging in reverse noticed.

-not that great gas mileage anymore

-lack of power, horrible at accelerating between 20-40mph

-right side signal flashes fast upon acceleration, when decelrating/stop it blinks very slowly...seems to be a electrical/power issue

With the recent overheating issue & not knowing if it is the HG's or not, I am in a bind of not knowing if I should fix it or get rid of the car. I obviously have burned this baby into the ground :)

Only 220,950K? that's only 137,000 miles, I really hope my car lasts longer than that. The ej22 should go WAY over 200k miles no problem.

Although you have the phase2 ej22, which I have heard aren't as good as the older ones. My car has almost 100k miles (99,640 or something....) and still running strong as ever :D

Only 220,950K? that's only 137,000 miles, I really hope my car lasts longer than that. The ej22 should go WAY over 200k miles no problem.

Although you have the phase2 ej22, which I have heard aren't as good as the older ones. My car has almost 100k miles (99,640 or something....) and still running strong as ever :D

I do have over 200,000 miles. :confused: I must be just slightly confused as to what you meant by 137K! Its actually at 220,975...and yes lotsa problems are now starting to develop.

Looks like you edited your post, I should have quoted it. But you said 220,950K, which implies kilometers.

I did right after I posted it :lol: figured I would put the real mileage of my little suby.

On a side note, thinks its funny I called a shop in regards to all my problems. He told me I must have the worlds record for most mileage on that car. I laughed & was like I think you should talk to some people back in CO, cuz I know people who got near 300,000 on subaru's older then mine! At least it made me feel better, cuz I am still trying to figure out wtf I should do about my car :eek:

Well my car isn't doing so well at the moment...

Its a 1999 B4 (but 3rd Generation), I rear ended someone just a little bit. Although it was low speed major damage was caused by their towbar. The Condenser and raditator have big dents in them, the front lower crossmember is shredded from the towbar, the upper crossmember is bent, the bumper is falling apart and the hood is dinted.

And then,

It broke down at a roundabout, total failure. I got the car towed home where it sat for a while because I was away. When i got back though, the car was jammed so I couldn't even push or tow it to get it to the insurance people for assessment...

So...

The nice insurance people came and unjammed it and took it away for assessment (although I have a feeling that it may also be for disposal given all that damage and the cost of repair....)

Its mostly my fault of course but the breaking down thing was just icing on the cake. I figure that "shit happens" and there is no point worrying about it

I did right after I posted it :lol: figured I would put the real mileage of my little suby.

On a side note, thinks its funny I called a shop in regards to all my problems. He told me I must have the worlds record for most mileage on that car. I laughed & was like I think you should talk to some people back in CO, cuz I know people who got near 300,000 on subaru's older then mine! At least it made me feel better, cuz I am still trying to figure out wtf I should do about my car :eek:

I've got a friend who took a picture of her's at 222,222. It was a right hand drive wagon, I think a 91? Was a postal vehicle, but I see it every once in a while on the road still.

I've got a friend who took a picture of her's at 222,222. It was a right hand drive wagon, I think a 91? Was a postal vehicle, but I see it every once in a while on the road still.

someone on here has a pic of theirs at 222222 on the odom, and 2222 on the trip...

I had the knock sensor go on my GT, and it sputtered badly at low rpms. The replacement sensor was very inexpensive, and I found some pictoral online how-to's and replaced it myself - and the car drove fine again. It wasn't easy to get to, but it's do-able for the below-average [me] driveway mechanic to do in about an hour.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my 98 LGT back in Jan 06 w/ 104k on it. Since then I've had the p0420 cat deterioration code(fixed w/ spark plug anti-fouler), I replaced the alternator with an OEM Subaru part, I pulled the trans and resealed and replaced the rear breather box and rear main, I replaced the d/s valve cover gskt and I replaced the radiator hoses with Subaru parts. Before I bought the car the heads and radiator were replaced at a Subaru dealer(4 grand worth of work). It even has the most updated subaru head gasket and the t belt was all replaced before I bought it. I've only had a few CEL codes, a misfire hear and there which I replaced the fuel filter to remedy. I just drove 3000 miles in 9 days and it didnt miss a beat. I'm at 151k now and I'm due for another trans and diff service. Its gonna be hard to get rid of when I finally find the wrx wagon I want. I love my LGT though. I'm a Honda guy and I love my Subaru. :)

I haven't really had any meaningful CELs on my car... When it is really freezing cold in the winter (colder than -20°f) and I'm driving through heavy snow occasionally it will throw a CEL about the rear cat. Probably because the cat isn't warming up enough. And the only other CEL I have gotten was a misfire. But that was when my plug hole was stripped and there wasn't a plug in cylinder #2...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I bougth the car in November 2008 at 220,000km:

(at 240,000km now)

Filler tube - gone, replaced

rear bearings - gone, replaced (poorly), replaced again

exhaust leak - welded up

front axle boots need attention soon too.

minor rust, fixable.

engine all covered in oil. Will shampoo engine bay soon to identify oil leaks.

I would't say though that it is falling apart.. More like it was falling apart when I bought it (i know.. i should've paid more attention to detail when buying it), and now i'm putting it back together lol..

^^ I know how that is! Kinda happened to me with my legacy. If I had known what I know now I'd have found all the silly issues with it.

Right now the only problem (I know about....) I have with either of my subarus is my outback sounds like it has a front wheel bearing that isn't happy. My outback also eats oil. Grr. But I don't drive it much except the winter. Mainly because it has an awesome set of studded tires...

I also use it for towing and hauling lots of crap around.

Hello Everyone!

I've never owned a Subaru before, but my Father-in-law just gave me a 1995 Legacy Outback with 206k miles on the clock. This is a Maine car with lots of rust. After replacing a door (previous collision) and patching the oil pan numerous times, I started driving it. The motor runs great! But now there are other issues: Split cv boot and CEL.

Looks like a good project car to me...

Lance

Maine is alright. Because I have a subaru for the winter :)

I actually have a '99 OBW with a nice set of studded tires for this winter. I can't wait to try 'em out!

I should probably make the obw run well first... something up with the EGR I think.

Archived